Help- Facemask for cold weather- breathable- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help- Facemask for cold weather- breathable

I'm new to winter fat biking this winter and it's been a cold one here in Iowa with lots of sub-zero rides. I need to cover my face skin and can't grow a beard to save my life (and I'm 44 YO!)

I've been using merino neck gaiters pulled up to my nose but these get soaked from my breath! A lighter poly neck tube is more breathable but doesn't keep my face warm.

Help me out, I'm looking for something warmer in the face but with a lighter mesh around my mouth to let my breath out.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Considering something like this used by motocross but there's no reviews:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...cemask?s=65114

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I use something like this: https://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-...onic-balaclava. A bit better, but can still get wet too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've been doing this a while, a stretchy balaclava is by far the most versatile piece for this. The half-face masks do not provide the same warmth over your head and do not stay in place well in my experience. During a ride, you often need to adjust your face to manage heat, so that means pulling it away or down to use as a neck gaiter, which it does great. You can also pull it up over your nose and breath through it. I generally only do that when it's below 0į if I'm not working hard yet, but it's always nice to have that option. By keeping the rest of your head warm, the blood circulates to your nose and other parts and you don't get cold, unless it's significantly -į temps, where you pull it up over your nose. They aren't expensive either, so you can get a couple different weights, although again, the most versatile in my experience is the stretchy thinner type.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Thanks for response.

Certainly thinner is more breathable

Found I can't do a baclava as my head sweats too much. I'm basically bald must address my head separately but no problems with the head. I wear a separate thin merino beanie as I find that more versitle and I can swap the beanie out quickly with a dry spare if my head gets wet. Sort of a similar but separate issue I have a different solution for.

I can do the same thing with a face mask (swap out) and often do after it gets wet from my breath. Funny I had one re-freeze about 2 weeks back when in the negative digits , it was stiff as a board! Could have used it as a dinner plate, LOL.

mtbr member
    Maybe I should clarify:

My facial skin needs protection from the wind and temps. I need to cover it up without moisture from my breath making it wet.

I have facial rosatia on the face and cheeks. Skin can get pretty red, irratated and peel easily from exposure. You've seen some alcoholics with really red cheeks? Sort of the same result so need to keep the face warm, covered and dry while biking.

That's 2 weeks of beard growth in my pic, LOL. Can't grow a real beard to save my life!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    How about something like this: https://www.backcountry.com/seirus-n...stZ2FpdGVycw==

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkman999 View Post
    How about something like this: https://www.backcountry.com/seirus-n...stZ2FpdGVycw==

Yeah, that's sorta what I was thinking of.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018...EWL&ref=plSrch

These cover a lot better than it looks. Probably most popular balaclava around my area. Nose and mouth area both have openings to make breathing much easier. Part over the head is fairly thin so sweating isnt an issue but under a helmet it keeps you comfortably warm.

I deal with a wide range of temps into the deep negatives (actually set a few records for how cold it got a couple weeks ago). This balaclava and my smith goggles made the frigid riding fun cause my face wasnt freezing cold or getting drenched.

Im a big guy and sweat A LOT.

Another thing, your cheeks where they are exposed (or entirely exposed with face mask pulled down) I would suspect there is some type of lotion or similar that you can use to protect yoyr skin. I know your case is rather different, for me I just use a good lotion that doesnt have alcohol in it. I dont have the rosacea though so I am unsure what options you have.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

I use a balaclava under the a snowboarding helmet. Then use ski goggles and a Seirus face mask (covers the chin to bridge of nose) that I modified. The modification was to cut out the nose and mouth areas and build a new cover piece in front of that so my breathing is unobstructed but I can also drink water. I made the new piece out of a neoprene can koozy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Weatherneck is what you are looking for...itís been awesome so far

https://theweatherneck.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018...EWL&ref=plSrch

These cover a lot better than it looks. Probably most popular balaclava around my area. Nose and mouth area both have openings to make breathing much easier. Part over the head is fairly thin so sweating isnt an issue but under a helmet it keeps you comfortably warm.

I deal with a wide range of temps into the deep negatives (actually set a few records for how cold it got a couple weeks ago). This balaclava and my smith goggles made the frigid riding fun cause my face wasnt freezing cold or getting drenched.

Im a big guy and sweat A LOT.

Another thing, your cheeks where they are exposed (or entirely exposed with face mask pulled down) I would suspect there is some type of lotion or similar that you can use to protect yoyr skin. I know your case is rather different, for me I just use a good lotion that doesnt have alcohol in it. I dont have the rosacea though so I am unsure what options you have.

I hear whale blubber works well as a lotion

Yeah I'm also a big guy and sweat alot. 6'4" 260#.

I also wear goggles, they help. Per pic:

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I use a Klim Glacier balaclava that I bought in my snowmobiling days. It's got different materials for the different panels, wind-blocking where it counts and breathable where it's needed. Has a built-in breath box made of neoprene, so there's no fabric against your mouth or nose.
    Also, the Glacier goes OVER your jacket collar and cinches instead of tucking in, so it's easy to take on and off without unzipping your jacket.

I wear mine with a headwrap, goggles and my Bell Stoker helmet for zero-ish temps, works great.

Help- Facemask for cold weather- breathable-img_20180104_192756384.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    My head tends to get warm quickly given that most of the terrain around me involves steep, hard climbing immediately out of the trailhead, but I have one of these cold avengers that I use for harsh, cold days spent snowboarding. It's funny looking, but it does create this "pocket" of warm air in front of your nose and mouth.

https://coldavenger.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_A View Post
    Weatherneck is what you are looking for...itís been awesome so far

https://theweatherneck.com

Placed my order, thanks!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I saw that weatherneck and now ordered! That was someone thinking about us!

Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by toadmeister View Post
    Placed my order, thanks!

awesome!...youíll love it