Help on Elbow/Forearm armor needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Help on Elbow/Forearm armor needed

As I've been riding more aggressively recently, I've also been spending some time in the dirt. The first part of my body that seems to take a beating are my forearms and my elbows. Just got some stitches yesterday and its finally time to invest in a good pair of elbow/forearm pads. It needs to be comfortable around the bend of the elbow and no slippage. But most importantly, it needs to be able to protect my arms. I've tried on a few at the LBS (661 comp and RF rally's) and they didn't feel comfortable to wear with how they strapped on. My friends got a pair of the POC Bone armor protector and seems to really like it. Price is not an issue, as I rather pay more if I get more.

Also, I use Kyle Strait knee pads, but any suggestions for knee/shin armor would be much appreciated. Just like the elbow/FA pads they need to be comfortable and offer good protection.

I mostly ride trails that are techy with loose rocks, stair steps, and small 2-3 ft drops, boulder rolls. I've also been riding more DH/FR oriented trails as well. I have searched the forum and don't see much about elbow/FA pads.

Let the good times roll.
    Do you like the Kyle Straits? I never ride without mine unless I'm just commuting across campus. They feel great on my knees and don't seem to impede pedalling much. The 661 Race knee/shin fits pretty much the same, just with extended protection. I have those too and use them for shuttle/lift riding. They're also good leg warmers for the winter.

I have the matching 661 Race elbow armor. I don't find them as comfortable as the leg armor, so I rarely use them unless I'm really pushing my limits on rocky terrain. I've tried a few arm pads, and none of them feel good. I'm used to having 100% unrestricted elbow motion, and all pads seem to restrict that to some degree. Fortunately, I rarely scrape my arms in wrecks - usually just my knees and back. You should try a set of 2x4 arm pads. Those are the least restrictive I've tried on yet. I wouldn't use them for DH racing, but they should be good enough for milder stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    Do you like the Kyle Straits? I never ride without mine unless I'm just commuting across campus. They feel great on my knees and don't seem to impede pedalling much. The 661 Race knee/shin fits pretty much the same, just with extended protection. I have those too and use them for shuttle/lift riding. They're also good leg warmers for the winter. .
    I like the Kyle Straits, they saved my knees a few times and they're comfortable to pedal with. But I need shin protection as well. I picked up some RF rally FR arm guards and I'm going to pick up the TLD Lopes knee/shin guards. Has anyone use the TLD Lopes'? I like the idea of the knee sleeve, because the other knee/shin armor I've tried all have annoying straps at the knee bend.

SamIAm
    +1 on the 2x4s

OP are you looking for abrasion resistance or impact. they different. i dont feel i need too much impact protection. hence why i use 2x4s. they keep me from bleeding thru nice white buttonups all summer.(when i sold cars. sometimes it was a good talking point, but mostly just a problem.)

i only wear kylestraits all summer to unless resort ridding so keep that in mind.

if your only looking to keep blood off your arms go with the 2x4s. excellent coverage and as long as ur not taking a big rock digger right to elbow you shouldnt have too much problem.

if your looking for more. i not sure.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Let the good times roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhynohead View Post
    I like the Kyle Straits, they saved my knees a few times and they're comfortable to pedal with. But I need shin protection as well. I picked up some RF rally FR arm guards and I'm going to pick up the TLD Lopes knee/shin guards. Has anyone use the TLD Lopes'? I like the idea of the knee sleeve, because the other knee/shin armor I've tried all have annoying straps at the knee bend.
    Some of my riding buddies have the TLD knee/shin pads. They all love that design.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

McDavid HexPad elbow/knee pads

2 rides and a few tumbles in so I was looking into some elbow padding. Anyone have any experience with McDavid HexPad elbow/knee pads. I ride in South Florida, no DH stuff here and its hot so I don't want anything to hot or bulky. Any of you guys tried this stuff out?

I would post a link but I'm too new and not allowed to, but its the stuff that Dwayne Wade and other pro athletes wear..

mtbr member
    Troy lee shock doctor elbow/forearm guards work great! The tld shockdoc knee shinguard combo no so great. I prefer kyle straits and veggie shin combo.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by monstertiki View Post
    Troy lee shock doctor elbow/forearm guards work great! The tld shockdoc knee shinguard combo no so great. I prefer kyle straits and veggie shin combo.
    +1 I'll add the 661 Evo as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Kali Veda Soft Elbow Guard—they never move! The Kali soft knee's are awesome too. I like them better than the Strait's! They stay up when pedaling much better.