Helmets yay or nay, not up for discussion (we already knew this)- Mtbr.com
    EAT MORE GRIME

Helmets yay or nay, not up for discussion (we already knew this)

Bike helmet review throws cold water on sceptics: they'll likely save your life

this just reminds me of a poster and thread here about how useless
    hemles are ....in that now banned persons eyes.

LOL

Always in the wrong gear
    I've heard this argument before from the motorcycle crowd. That helmet wear increases survivability, but also spinal injuries, i.e. people with helmets end up quadruplegic, those without end up dead. I can *almost* give that the barest smidgen of credibility, as a full-face MC helmet is heavy, and has things to catch on when sliding. but not enough likelihood to make me consider not wearing one. Believing that a bicycle helmet could cause this is beyond stupid.

I personally don't believe in helmet laws. If you are OK with your bare head impacting the asphalt/rocks/cars/lightpost, then that's your choice. Darwinism, and all.

There's not a lot of data that I've found that says wearing helmets impacts healthcare costs, or insurance premiums (more from a MC standpoint) for better or worse, but you can be damned sure I'm wearing a helmet 100% of the time. I've personally had helmets save my life not less than 4 times that I can count with absolute certainty: 2 MX, one street MC, and one MTB. I'm willing to bet I would have sustained head injuries a bunch of times that I didn't even realize as well.

poser Administrator
    As I recall that users comments were based on a study about how helmets don't help on the the street, in typical cyclist accidents, which I read between cyclist and motor vehicle. Again I believe that this could be the case but I still wouldn't want to chance it.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

high pivot witchcraft
    2 words. Natural selection.

mtbr member
    I wear a helmet mountain biking. I don't want to have to wear a helmet to spin 5 blocks and grab a coffee.

Studies have shown that head injuries are greatly reduced when helmets are worn in cars [yes on top of seat belts and air bags] yet nobody would accept a mandatory helmet law for cars. Not because it's not safer, but because it's a hassle.

Driving is far more dangerous than cycling so we end up with logical disconnect when it comes to helmets and in particular mandatory helmet laws.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    On a different forum (for skiing, actually), the weirdest argument I heard against helmets was that they embolden people to take bigger risks. It's an interesting perspective... but then you hear about people who get seriously hurt doing the most mundane things on a bike. Stuff you do a million times without thinking. It's those momentary lapses of concentration, when you're not expecting it, that scare me. At least when I hit something big or scary, I half expect to eat it, and I'm prepared to bail/fall with style.

And I always wear a helmet.
    My MTB themed graphic tees:
    https://www.mteeb.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    but then you hear about people who get seriously hurt doing the most mundane things on a bike. Stuff you do a million times without thinking. It's those momentary lapses of concentration, when you're not expecting it, that scare me. At least when I hit something big or scary, I half expect to eat it, and I'm prepared to bail/fall with style.

And I always wear a helmet.
    Boy you are not kidding, just last week my buddy face-planted while we were just cruising 8-10mph to the next stretch of trails, he got concussion and broken hand , he could not remember what just happened for an hour. (he had clipped a skinny tree with handlebar..right side) He is a decent AM rider that just moved back home here to Florida from Colorado, where he down-hilled a couple seasons without a single injury!

front left-side of his helmet had a good dent in it...yep they work.

P.S. Im wondering/curious if he had been wearing a full face guard type helmet would his concussion have been less severe?....his face did have a welt and some scratches, but his XC helmet also took a blow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    On a different forum (for skiing, actually), the weirdest argument I heard against helmets was that they embolden people to take bigger risks.
    That point was made on this forum by a very stubborn user some months ago, so it's pretty common. My response is: falling hurts, helmet or not. I don't even think about my helmet so I don't take additional risks because of it. If by "taking bigger risks," one means riding a bike at all, then yes, i am emboldened to ride my bike at all because of the helmet.

mtbr member
    Wheather we're talking about bike helmets, mc helmets, seatbelts, lifejackets, safety harnesses etc... I am of the belief that once you are a legal adult it should be your choice to use safety gear or not. The last thing anyone needs is more silly laws for leo to ticket you for.

That being said I wear a helmet on my mc always, and sometimes on the bike (usually while on trails with any level of difficulty). Rarely do I wear a seatbelt in my truck though even though it is the law to do so... I know I should but still don't.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BykerMike View Post
    Wheather we're talking about bike helmets, mc helmets, seatbelts, lifejackets, safety harnesses etc... I am of the belief that once you are a legal adult it should be your choice to use safety gear or not. The last thing anyone needs is more silly laws for leo to ticket you for.

That being said I wear a helmet on my mc always, and sometimes on the bike (usually while on trails with any level of difficulty). Rarely do I wear a seatbelt in my truck though even though it is the law to do so... I know I should but still don't.
    Safety equipment reduces medical bills, more accidents increases health care costs and insurance premiums. Plus, a bad accident affects the people the victim interacts with. JMTC.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Safety equipment reduces medical bills, more accidents increases health care costs and insurance premiums. Plus, a bad accident affects the people the victim interacts with. JMTC.
    Actually the argument has been (on motorcycles) that helmets increase medical costs. Similar to the argument helmets increase survivability but also increase back injuries and crippling. These arguments are both correct, but inane as many of those dead from not wearing a helmet could also have had back injuries, and none of them need further medical care.

mtbr member
    I'd honestly rather be dead than paralysed. Also don't kid yourself, greed is what drives up medical cost and insurance rates, nothing else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BykerMike View Post
    I'd honestly rather be dead than paralysed. Also don't kid yourself, greed is what drives up medical cost and insurance rates, nothing else.
    Greed? Joking right? Stuff like cancer, surgeries or injuries from not wearing your seatbelt, duh. The seatbelt keeps you in the vehicle, not spit out in the event of a rollover/accident. High rates? Obesity and sitting on the couch eating nothing but soda and chips, that's the costly stuff. Diabetes, high blood pressure, being inactive.

mtbr member
    I don't think I take anymore risks wearing a full face helmet (compared to my normal Hex or Flux all mountain type helmet), but I do occasionally get caught out coming into corners a bit hot. And I think it's down to the sound being muted, I don't realise I'm going a bit quicker.

As for it being mandatory, New Zealand may have been one of the first countries to make it illegal not to wear one when riding on the street. Skeptics point out it led to a massive drop off in kids riding to school etc, but at the same time our government lifted tariffs on imported cars, so we got a flood of used Japanese cars about the same time.

Personally I wear mine all the time and I don't have an issue with it being a law.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I wear a helmet mountain biking. I don't want to have to wear a helmet to spin 5 blocks and grab a coffee.
    This.

If I'm riding on the footpath at the speed of a slow jog... then why should we not enforce helmets for runners, its easy enough to trip and fall while running?

mtbr member
    It's a law in my country... So, I do it.

If you don't? Good luck eating through that straw...

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    It's a law in my country (to wear a helmet), so I do it...

If you don't?

Good luck eating through that straw...

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post
    This.

If I'm riding on the footpath at the speed of a slow jog... then why should we not enforce helmets for runners, its easy enough to trip and fall while running?
    Yeah, I've done that (trip and fall while running).

So in the US, you aren't required to wear a helmet when cycling unless you are below a certain age, right? I always wear mine except when I'm just riding around the driveway. But I don't live where I can spin 5 blocks for coffee either.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    I think people put far to much faith into a cheap foam helmet preventing a serious head injury. Marketing is very effective here... not just in sales but public perception leading to laws and commonly accepted beliefs. A great number of brain injuries result from deceleration and the brain contacting the skull. Football helmets are arguably the most technically advanced headgear available and we all know how that's working out.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    I personally don't believe in helmet laws. If you are OK with your bare head impacting the asphalt/rocks/cars/lightpost, then that's your choice. Darwinism, and all.
    Sad no one ever that was employed to clean up the mess left behind by those that choose to ride "free".

I believe motorcycle helmets are too heavy for the level of protection they provide and reduce visibility via reduction in peripheral vision and range/speed of motion of the head, but tossing them aside entirely isn't an answer. No one wants to learn the part of their loved one's body that made them who they were was smeared all over a barrier or sent flying in small chunks when their skull popped like a balloon.

Coroner's aren't heartless, emotionless anti-humans, and they are the ones that pick up these pieces when we've left this world. Honestly, some people act like their body is going to drift off into the heavens and no one will have to deal with their life choices.

Popped heads are never open casket. Thanks for permitting closure for those that warned you for years that not wearing a helmet would be the end of you.

Not wearing a helmet is 100% about you and 0% about anyone else.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingtaco View Post
    sad no one ever that was employed to clean up the mess left behind by those that choose to ride "free".

I believe motorcycle helmets are too heavy for the level of protection they provide and reduce visibility via reduction in peripheral vision and range/speed of motion of the head, but tossing them aside entirely isn't an answer. No one wants to learn the part of their loved one's body that made them who they were was smeared all over a barrier or sent flying in small chunks when their skull popped like a balloon.

Coroner's aren't heartless, emotionless anti-humans, and they are the ones that pick up these pieces when we've left this world. Honestly, some people act like their body is going to drift off into the heavens and no one will have to deal with their life choices.

Popped heads are never open casket. Thanks for permitting closure for those that warned you for years that not wearing a helmet would be the end of you.

Not wearing a helmet is 100% about you and 0% about anyone else.
    bingo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Greed? Joking right? Stuff like cancer, surgeries or injuries from not wearing your seatbelt, duh. The seatbelt keeps you in the vehicle, not spit out in the event of a rollover/accident. High rates? Obesity and sitting on the couch eating nothing but soda and chips, that's the costly stuff. Diabetes, high blood pressure, being inactive.
    From 2008 to 2014 The top six health insurance companies profits went from $7 billion to $12 billion. 2010 the CEOs of the top six medical insurance companies made a combined $85 million, now they make over $140 million. They gave themselves 60% pay raise, I call that greedy. Of course my medical insurance co pay has gone up 35% in the last 6 year to cover this.

Who else has gotten a 60% pay raise in the last 6 years. I haven't, I feel extremely luck to have gotten 15% over the last 6 years, my wife has gotten 7% over the last 6 years. Inflation since 2010 has been 10% total.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    Why you lying bro? Obama said that people would save on average $2500 per year on health insurance, I saved over 7k on insurance this year myself. Thats right, lost my plan 18 months ago and have not been able to find insurance that I can afford since.
    In the states that did not expand medicaid like they were supposed to, things didn't go that well. Guess whether your state followed instructions or not.

https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/fi...-state-map.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by armii View Post
    From 2008 to 2014 The top six health insurance companies profits went from $7 billion to $12 billion. 2010 the CEOs of the top six medical insurance companies made a combined $85 million, now they make over $140 million. They gave themselves 60% pay raise, I call that greedy. Of course my medical insurance co pay has gone up 35% in the last 6 year to cover this.

Who else has gotten a 60% pay raise in the last 6 years. I haven't, I feel extremely luck to have gotten 15% over the last 6 years, my wife has gotten 7% over the last 6 years. Inflation since 2010 has been 10% total.
    Umm, I stand corrected. Greed+ obesity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I think people put far to much faith into a cheap foam helmet preventing a serious head injury. Marketing is very effective here... not just in sales but public perception leading to laws and commonly accepted beliefs. A great number of brain injuries result from deceleration and the brain contacting the skull. Football helmets are arguably the most technically advanced headgear available and we all know how that's working out.
    I go with personal experience. I have dented, cracked and split open a helmet while biking. Got up and walked away. No issues. Is it magic and protect me from all? Not. Medium speed otb's, loop outs over the back of the bike and commuter mishaps. Shoulder rolls clumping and thumping around, head making contact with the ground. TBI's ? How do they fare without the helmet? You want to test that out? YRMV.

mtbr member
    I've smacked my head on hard ground (rock) both with and without a helmet and I much prefer the helmeted version. Personal preference I suppose.
    I brake for stinkbugs