Helmets... What the diff?

Printable View

• 04-16-2004
    DirtCrash
    Helmets... What the diff?
    What is the difference between sport, road and mountain?
  • 04-16-2004
    006_007
    I would guess
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtCrash
    What is the difference between sport, road and mountain?

I would guess sport is the most common foam cored helmets, road are the ones with more/bigger bents, more aerodynamically shaped, and mountain is probably referring to full face helmets.

If you are just starting out i would suggest going into a nearby local bike shop and getting them to assist you in finding the most important aspect of all : the fit.

TJ
  • 04-16-2004
    fred3
    Nah. Mountain doesn't refer to full face. Mountain sometimes has a visor where as most road ones don't(silly weight concern ;-). Other than that they're pretty much the same. The more expensive the lighter they get, the more vents, the more aerodynamic and a better retention system.

Full face are mostly used by downhillers and some freeriders.
  • 04-16-2004
    Never heard of a sport helmet. But mountain helmets typically have more coverage of the rear of your head and have smaller vents. Road tend to be more aerodynamic and vents are designed to work better at high speeds. Full face are a different animal all together. For the most part you can use either road or mountain interchangably. Like the other poster said, just go to the LBS and find one that fits right. Each brand fits a bit differently.
  • 04-16-2004
    006_007
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fredł
    Nah. Mountain doesn't refer to full face. Mountain sometimes has a visor where as most road ones don't(silly weight concern ;-). Other than that they're pretty much the same. The more expensive the lighter they get, the more vents, the more aerodynamic and a better retention system.

Full face are mostly used by downhillers and some freeriders.

Hmm, then what is a sport helmet?

I did a 24hr event and one of the guys on my team wore his FF helmet. He also pedaled his Bullit with a SuperT on it for his laps!
  • 04-16-2004
    DirtCrash
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 006_007

I did a 24hr event and one of the guys on my team wore his FF helmet. He also pedaled his Bullit with a SuperT on it for his laps!

If you check out Bell and Giro web sites, they both break down their cycling helmets into Road, Mountain and Sports catagories.
  • 04-16-2004
    bhutata
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 006_007

Usually it's a lower-end helmet that's meant for whatever you want to use it for. Nothing wrong with them. Just a 'general purpose' helmet.

Quote:

Holy S&#T!!! Sounds like a hardcore dude! Either that, or he sunk so much money into his rig that he doesn't have enough left over for a XC bike.

Trying to remember, do those SuperT's have lockout??? :p
  • 04-16-2004
    bike_freak
    Yup, sport helmets are cheaper more entry level helmets.
    Mountain usually have visors and Road don't have visors. Road usually have more smaller vents cause you go at higher speeds, while mountain helmets have fewer but larger vents to allow more air in at lower speeds.
    The main reason why road helmets don't come with visors is not cause of the weight, but the visor gets in the way of the view and can cause neck pain cause it forces you to look more upright.
  • 04-17-2004
    fred3
    What someone wears for a particular ride doesn't designate that helmet as specific for that particular type of riding. The industry, in it's infinite search to sell us the most it can, divided the helmets into those categories to try and let folks know who don't take the riding very serious that the "sport" designation means you spend most of your time on dirt roads, bike trails and occasional forays into the mythical land of singletrack(sans roots/rocks/drops) and not spend much on your helmet. Check out shimanos site and see how they break down their shoes. Sure you get a stiffer sole with their pro shoe, but you could still race in their low end shoe if you wanted.
  • 04-17-2004
    wraith
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Yup, sport helmets are cheaper more entry level helmets.
    Mountain usually have visors and Road don't have visors. Road usually have more smaller vents cause you go at higher speeds, while mountain helmets have fewer but larger vents to allow more air in at lower speeds.
    The main reason why road helmets don't come with visors is not cause of the weight, but the visor gets in the way of the view and can cause neck pain cause it forces you to look more upright.

Bike freak is right about the visor. It's a vision issue. I use the same helmet when I ride road and mtn. When I'm on the road I, take the visor off. When your on the the bottom of the drop bars, you're pretty low and you can't see much pass visor.

Actually, if you check the weight of Bell's top line mtn and road helmet they're exactly the same weight.

BTW, I use a sport helmet for both road and mtn. I pretty much see helmet as disposable. Once you wipe out, you need to replace it. Yes, they’re replacement policy for the high end helmet but they're a PITA. With a decent "sport" helmet, if I crash, I just go to my LBS and pick up another one. No need to mail in the old one and wait for the replacement.
  • 04-17-2004
    thedude65
    I have never heard of a visor not on road helmet as a weight concern. I alwas take my visor off my helmet when i am on road rides because its a visual thing. Becasue the way you are fit on a road bike is diferent than a mountain bike the visor gets in the way of your long distance viewing.