Helmets for TX- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmets for TX

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Helmets for TX

Any XC riders in Texas using the Fox Flux or Giro Zen helmets? It would be nice to have some additional protection (and style for sure) but with the heat here in Texas I'm often tempted to go without a helmet ...and do if I'm just doing a short commute.

Also, Giros usually fit the narrower, Italian-style heads (which I have) anyone know how the Foxes fit?

mtbr member
    I haven't used either of those; however, no matter how short the commute going without a helmet isn't wise. The heat isn't so ridiculous here that even a long commute in the sun will fry your brain with a helmet on. Instead of focusing on how hot your head will feel, focus on staying hydrated and protected.

One thing to look for are the size and number of vents/openings which allow your body to dissipate heat more effectively and allow that nice hot breeze to flow through.

As far as fit, your best bet is try one on at your local bike shop.
    Pedigre

blet drive
    both are nice and please do your self and the bike community a favor and wear a helmet all the time..
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have the Zen and my wife just recently bought the Flux. I really like the Zen, the fit is good and I don't notice it being any hotter than my old Specialized (Air force??). Although I would stay away from black. My wife's Flux is really nice, I like the retention system better than the Giro ( more of a custom fit ), plenty of vents to help keep cool and great styling also. I would also check out the Giro Hex it's cheaper than the Zen and built pretty much the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5
    both are nice and please do your self and the bike community a favor and wear a helmet all the time..
    Thanks, Mom.

mtbr member
    Read Myth #3
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm going to have to call BS on that one --the study was done by the helmet manufactures for chrisake. Maybe that is true as long as you maintain velocity n, but as soon as the airflow slows down, the heat absolutely accumulates inside the "cooler" on your head. I do know that the first thing I do when I stop on a hot day is take off the helmet.

mtbr member
    Call it if you wish, but it's similar to uniforms in the military...many, come summer time, like to roll their sleeves. Reality is that having them down allows better air circulation and more protection from the sun.

Ever have feel the sun beating down on your head? Or better yet, ever have a sun burned head?
    Pedigre

blet drive

... and if we just ... oh ok

Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam
    Thanks, Mom.

yes yes say what you will but when you have 9 kiddos you would say the same...
    and actually its DAD.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    I have an older Giro very similar to the Zen. It fits well and doesn't make my head feel any hotter in the summer.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    zen all the way, im on my second one...It fits my noggin the bestest!

ever wonder why all the illegals are wearing long sleeves and head gear while they are mowing your yard? it keeps em cool even on the hottest days in TX....

No Knuckle Crew
    I ride with a fox and it is great. It gets pretty good airflow and I like how the back drops a little lower on the cranium. You can pick them up on chainlove for $50-$60 occasionally if you are patient. I have "alien head" with the back being a little wider than the front, but in generally I have fairly round nugett.

I am not the one to tell others what to do on gear, but I just look at it this way. My old man rode a 35 lb roadbike with the shifters on the tube in freaking daisy dukes and a bandanna in the 70s. I choose to ride a 27lb full suspension mountain bike with a helmet and stay away from cutoff jeans. Times change, but to each his own.
    I like Texas, ain't it fine here!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nobody wore helmets back in my day. We just strapped dead vermin to our heads and let it ride ; ) You could always find your buddy, just look for the circling vultures.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    I wear a Flux when I'm doing anything but the gnarliest of FR or DH. Its comfortable and I rarely even notice its there. It protects me without asking anything in return.

For gnarlier stuff I wear a Fox Rampage DH full face. Its badass and is extremely comfortable.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5
    yes yes say what you will but when you have 9 kiddos you would say the same...
    and actually its DAD.
    If you've got NINE kids then I guess it would be "Daddy"

Members who have read this thread: 0