Helmets these days?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Helmets these days?

Hi all, my last Mountain bike helmet purchase was near 20 years ago. I'm noticing things have changed considerable as I expected. It leaves me wondering how to pick one though. I searched and read a little bit here in the forum so I'm aware of MIPS for example but have some other questions.

For example, back when I last bought a helmet it was considered smart to get one with SNELL certification. I'm not seeing much of this in my quick internet browsing, are there still certifications for helmets to consider?

I don't want a junk helmet, but I'm not looking to spend what I did on my Motocross helmet either. I'm broke most of the time, but I know it's worth it to spend money on a brain bucket. I seem to be gravitating towards Giro's designs as I started looking, I just like how they look and the pricing on the ones I've looked at is reasonable.

Any tips to help me choose the best bang for my buck and keep my noggin in one piece? I'll probably goto my LBS to try some on as well, but I like to browse the web to narrow things down first.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I've had good experiences with the Troy Lee A1 helmet and the Giro Montaro. Both are MIPS which from my understanding helps with shearing damage. Both are $120-150 so not on the cheap side but both saved my head from a few bad crashes. Especially that Troy Lee helmet I went down HARD a couple times and felt my head bounce off the ground without any ill effects.

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    I have the Giro Montaro too. I have the MIPS version. I believe they have it available without the MIPS for a cheaper price. It's a good helmet for a round head. If you have more of an oval head, you may want to check out a different manufacturer. But I really like my Montaro; super comfortable.
    17 Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5
    15 Framed Minnesota 3.0XWT

mtbr member
    No doubt giro makes good quality helmets, but they dont fit my head. I've tried 10+ over the years and not one has worked for me.

Dont worry about SNELL and DOT for a bike helmet. Its not a standard thats used, and most helmets dont conform to those standards anyway... which for a bicycle, is actually a good thing. Our helmets split and break pretty easily, which is perfect for a bike crash, but really bad for a motorcycle.

Get a name brand helmet that physically fits your head. I have a pretty expensive bell super 2R (~$150) that fits alright, and I have a cheaper bell piston (~$25) that fits amazingly. The more expensive helmet has better coverage, but they serve different purposes.

Find a store with a ton of inventory and just start trying stuff on from different brand and different prices.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHead View Post
    I have the Giro Montaro too. I have the MIPS version. I believe they have it available without the MIPS for a cheaper price. It's a good helmet for a round head. If you have more of an oval head, you may want to check out a different manufacturer. But I really like my Montaro; super comfortable.
    Good to know, not really sure how round or oval my head is. I'll ask my wife. She's brutally honest. I'll try some on before I buy too. Thanks for the responses so far

Is the old Snell certification gone now. It's funny because motorcycle helmets have added additional 3rd party certs over the years.

Maybe it was Bell certification for bikes. Hmm I dunno, either way sounds like it's not of consequence anymore.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Helmets these days?

There is in fact a Snell certification for bike helmets, it is still around, still used, still a thing. There are also other certs such as CPSC. The Snell cert for bikes is different than for motorcycles (they also have certs for other kinds of helmets such as Auto Racing). Snell is not a requirement for a good helmet (CPSC is fine too) it is just one of many orgs that do testing and certification.

I own 5 helmets (2 auto racing, 3 bicycle) both auto racing helmets have Snell as does one bike helmet, the other two have CPSC.

The bike helmets I have I really like. My primary MTB helmet is a Kali Interceptor, backup is a Specialized Ambush comp (Snell), my road helmet is a Kali Maraka.

mtbr member
    CPSC and DOT are regulatory gov orgs. For sale in the US, bicycle helmets must meet CPSC requirements and motorcycles DOT requirements. SNELL is a non-government US foundation that does its own testing and establishes its own standards which may augment but do not supplant CPSC and DOT requirements.
    Do the math.