Helmets for tall heads?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Helmets for tall heads?

I've just got a new road helmet, and after thinking that my head just didn't really suit road helmets, with them always looking like they are perched on top, I have just bought a Louis Garneau helmet that actually seems to fit properly being a bit deeper than standard.

I currently have a Giro Feature mtb helmet which I like but it's time to get a new one and they don't seem to make them anymore and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for MTB helmets that are deeper and are a better fit for tall heads?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I went with a Specialized Ambush. It covers further down the sides and back of my head. Whether this is because it's deeper or just has longer side/back coverage or a combination of the 2 I don't know. I Just know it felt good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Have you tried poc? I have a xxl in one of their helmets.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks, Iíll try these two options. Itís not that I have a large head, just tall compared to the diameter of that makes sense.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Peyton manning, is that you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Bell and Specialized seem to be the deepest fit. Nobody really makes a proper helmet for tall oval heads. Fox and IXs probably sit the highest and look weird, MET looks really shallow too from pictures Ive seen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I have this problem too. My head isn't actually enormous (size L) but it is long. I currently use an old BMX helmet (DK Synth) which is ok but I'm looking for a more mtb specific one. Every single mtb helmet I've tried on has felt like it is just perched loosely on the top fraction of my head w zero coverage in back ear area. I read a review of Scott Forefront and it said it sits low on your brow. Figured that means your head can get deep into it. I saw a massive price drop so I got it online. It fits terrible too, real bad actually, so to be returned. I've tried a Bern Brentwood and it is borderline acceptable, but not quite. Will look at Bell next as mentioned here.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Similar head shape. Best Iíve found are Urge and Smith.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Giro Chronicle?

mtbr member
    I'd say give the new FOX Meta helmets a look. By your description, we have similar shaped heads and I just not long got one and was pleasantly surprised by how much further down on my head it came, shape is perfect too, most snug fitting helmet I've had in going on 14 years MTBing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Workin for the weekend!
    Iíve got a Specialized Ambush too, my head is pretty big. Love the fit, is worth the spend!
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Late to the party, sorry. In my case my head IS large... and what ends up happening is that height actually becomes an issue. Due to head size my head doesn't fit all the way in to the helmet. It's indirect but the point being that I've come across several that I think would work (but didn't necessarily for me). They were tall enough. just not wide enough. Have a look at the Bell Super and the Stoker depending on your budget. For road use I have a Lazer Sport O2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Tall big head here. Ixs trail helmet is the best option I have tried. Tried 661, tld, Kali, giro, bell, poc and all look like bottle caps on me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks for the suggestions. Looked more at some of the reviews of helmets here. I just want something that doesn't look like a big mushroom, float high. BTW, oval-ish cross-section, egg/long/high forehead, 58-59cm. A couple questions:
    -Have seen conflicting reviews of IXS Trail... Some say fits very shallow, but I did see some say deep too. I see both indications in this thread. Any more details?
    -Was seeing lots pointing to Specialized Ambush, but looks like it fits like a hardhat with an air gap between the top of head and foam...secured mostly by 360 headband? Is that true? Not looking for the floating, hardhat feel.
    -Just looking at pictures of the Urge EnduroMatic 2 makes me think that could be it...but doesn't look available in L/XL anywhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It's hard to say. I just tried a bunch on and picked the best fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have a tall oval head and the Giro Chronicle fit the best. I tried the Specialized Ambush, TLD A1 and A2, POC Tectal, Lazer Revolution, and Bell Super 2. Check the videos on my channel.

Chronicle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thVuB4INwKc

A2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go1ztW1BqDk

POC Tectal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPaFhDXKUqc

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Using an Urge Enduromatic, which is acceptable but still a bit bulky and more round than oval. But it has a deeper fit than every other big brand helmet Iíve found at LBSs. Any other deep fitting/low bulk helmet suggestions?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I'm running my Giro Chronicle without the peak as it's either too low, or way too high.
    I don't like it in my sight head down ass up climbing (or descending).

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    TSG Trailfox is deep fitting and ovalish. It runs big (59cm easily fits in the S/M).
    Seems like older and <$100 helmets are better for deep fits (and lack of bobble head volume).

From what I use and have tried on briefly at LBS, I came up with some approx ratings for deep fit (high=deep) and anti-bobblehead (10=low profile, 1=loads of helmet volume), roughly from best to worst:

Urge Enduromatic 1: Deep fit 8/10, AntiBobblehead 7/10 (roundish, hot)
    TSG Trailfox: Deep fit 9/10, AntiBobblehead 6/10 (ovalish, airy)
    Bern (not sure on models) have similar ratings as those above.
    Specialized Ambush: Deep fit 6/10, AntiBobblehead 4/10
    Troy Lee (not sure if A1 or 2): Deep fit 4/10, AntiBobblehead 3/10
    IXS Trail: Deep fit 3/10, AntiBobblehead 2/10
    Bell (?); Deep fit 6/10, AntiBobblehead 1/10
    Fox Flux: Deep fit 2/10, AntiBobblehead 1/10
    Smith Forefront: Deep fit 1/10, AntiBobblehead 1/10

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Hi guys, who can tell something about Gonex Wind Cross Road Mountain Bike Helmet? I read that this helmet removed the visor. Is it convenient? my sister has sent me an article on helmets http://bestadviser.net/reviews/featu...o-a-safe-ride/ and I really liked this helmet
    Last edited by amaksimova; 06-28-2018 at 12:25 PM.