Helmets- a strange question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helmets- a strange question

I've been using a standard mountain bike helmet for a long time, but a friend has started using a hockey helmet (with a metal cage over the face) like this one.

I've tried to find some ratings (of course each style of helmet is held to different standards) but I haven't found out exactly what each helmet is rated to withstand. The real advantage of using this style of helmet (for me especially because of my glasses) is keeping branches and whatnot out of my face and provide some face protection in a crash.

Any thoughts or comments?

mtbr member
    The other advantage is that it looks really cool.

There's no app for this.

Will he wear skates too?

they'll be he// on the pedals.

Bike helmets etc have a whole set of standards: http://www.smf.org/stds.html

Hockey helmet standards are set by the HECC, and look to be pretty loose at best. http://www.hecc.net/index.html

Lose the hockey helmet (unless a big fistfight is expected) and get a proper one. to protect your eyes, there are goggles and/or prescription sport glasses that work just fine. But your brain won't grow back if injured, so use the right stuff. And a pointy stick can and will go thru the hockey helmet face cage.

Jim

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by omegachicken
    I've been using a standard mountain bike helmet for a long time, but a friend has started using a hockey helmet (with a metal cage over the face) like this one.

I've tried to find some ratings (of course each style of helmet is held to different standards) but I haven't found out exactly what each helmet is rated to withstand. The real advantage of using this style of helmet (for me especially because of my glasses) is keeping branches and whatnot out of my face and provide some face protection in a crash.

Any thoughts or comments?
    I seriously doubt the hockey helmet can provide the impact protection (G-force reduction) of a bicycle or motorcycle helmets.

I would also fear branches and rocks getting caught in the face guard and causing severe neck injuries when you head stops and your body does not.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    does your friend also ride the short bus to school? seriously, wearing a hockey helmut is
    retarded.

bike helmuts are made of material that will absorb an impact and keep the energy fom scrambling your brains. hockey helmuts protect your noodle as well, but are designed for a different application. wear a full face with goggles if you want face and eye protection. stick to items designed for their application if you want full protection. a hockey helmut is better than nothing, but damn it would look funny seeing that out on a trail.

mtbr member
    I definitely had my hesitations on using a hockey helmet, which why i did some research before scramblin my brains... Looks like i'm going to try to convince my friend not to wear that helmet anymore

Thanks for the input

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by omegachicken
    I definitely had my hesitations on using a hockey helmet, which why i did some research before scramblin my brains... Looks like i'm going to try to convince my friend not to wear that helmet anymore

Thanks for the input

on the contrary, you should definitely encourage him to continue with the hockey helmet. its hilarious, get some live action pics and post them here for us to see.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    on the contrary, you should definitely encourage him to continue with the hockey helmet. its hilarious, get some live action pics and post them here for us to see.
    Like a shot of him hanging from a tree by the face mask with a broken neck. No thanks
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

EDR
    Like a shot of him hanging from a tree by the face mask
    Priceless quote Shiggy!

But in all seriousness, if tree branches hitting you in the face are a real concern, that mask is the absolute LAST thing I'd suggest wearing. I mean, could you just imagine if a 1/2 inch diameter branch made it's way through there and ripped your freaking head damn near off your shoulders?

The more I visualize it the funnier it seems. Get a real helmet and duck your head as needed like the rest of us, lol.

mtbr member
    I'd be more worried about that cage on that helmet getting caught on stuff and pulling you off the bike. "Normal" helmets are open and if your gonna get hit by something you can maneuver up until the last second. With that thing you can get caught and get snagged on something potentially separating rider from bike.

Two Tired
    The argument about sticks catching in the mask makes some sense, but why aren't these sticks able to find the vent holes in the top of the helmet, the chin straps, or the chin guard on a full face helmet? It they are really so dangerous, why don't we have more postings about impalements?
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

EDR

Warning! Look away

Quote Originally Posted by CheapWhine
    The argument about sticks catching in the mask makes some sense, but why aren't these sticks able to find the vent holes in the top of the helmet, the chin straps, or the chin guard on a full face helmet? It they are really so dangerous, why don't we have more postings about impalements?
    Valid argument.

I think we should just stick to the "wtf are you wearing?" argument. That one is harder to counter-point.

Shiite happens ya know. (this dude was cycling after all)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 10-02-2009 at 11:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If you're concerned about sticks in the face, maybe spend some time on your local trails with a pair of snips?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapWhine
    The vent holes on a standard helmet are not directly in front of you. They are ,just like you pointed out, for the most part on the top of the helmet. Normally when you ride you are going foward, branches, vines, and whatever will deflect off the angle of the top of the helmet. The Guard on a hockeymask is directly in front and will have a better chance of catching a branch. It will also increase the chance of impalement because it will deflect, or i should say guide, branches into the helmet.

24v
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    does your friend also ride the short bus to school? helmut ................helmuts...................helmuts ..............................helmut
    Oh the Irony.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 24v
    Oh the Irony.

hahaha i totally missed that. yes i did ride the short bus myself, not that there's anything wrong with that

Ovaries on the Outside
    I wear a motorcycle helmet, myself. Bicycling helmet standards can't hold a candle to a nice Shoei.

29 and Single
    Oct 2009
    I make sure they all have the DOT and SNELL rating. I personally go with Arai. The face shield locks down but the air flow through it seems to work better when on a motorcycle traveling 65 mph. I got a HANS device off e-Bay for cheap too. And I got an old catchers chest protector, shin guards, and hockey gloves from the local Play-It-Again Sports. That way if anything makes it through the welders smock I wear on top of it all, I should be okay. I used to just wrap myself in bubble wrap and duct tape but that just got too hot.

On an unrelated note, I am trying to find a carbon water bottle cage to shave some weight off the bike. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Heck about half the epic rides I do are shuttled by a short bus, still in yellow livery.

Members who have read this thread: 0