Helmets - Spoilt for choice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Helmets - Spoilt for choice

Guys n' Gals ... I'm just a little boggled by the choice of helmets out there.
    I've used (and abused) mine for a few years now and even though it looks ok I think its probably time for a new one.
    Most I've tried seem to fit me fairly snug but I'm struggling to decide which model or brand to spend my hard earned on.

Would be really interested to hear what you ride ... and any tips on choosing.

Oh yes --- this is a "which helmet" thread not a "shall I wear one"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Are you looking for a full face or just the regular helmet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman1312
    Are you looking for a full face or just the regular helmet.
    Regular - if I were looking for full face I'd be asking for a helmet "dude"!!

mtbr member
    if I were looking for full face i'd be asking for a helmet? you mean asking for a "full face", right? cause you didn't specify either if I read it properly.

doesn't matter. which brands have you tried that "most fit you snug"? Bell, Fox, Giro, Lazer, Rudy's, Specialized, THE, Catlike, Garneau, Met?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    if I were looking for full face i'd be asking for a helmet? you mean asking for a "full face", right? cause you didn't specify either if I read it properly.

doesn't matter. which brands have you tried that "most fit you snug"? Bell, Fox, Giro, Lazer, Rudy's, Specialized, THE, Catlike, Garneau, Met?

I think it was the Dude the would mean he was asking full face.

To the op. I like my Giro Xen and will buy another when this one either, does it's job, or has sat on my head for another couple years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    First time I purchased a helmet the LBS salesman said you either have Bell or Giro shaped head. Tried on numerous helmets and found the Giro fit best. I asked what was the difference between a 50$ and 150$ helmet ? LBS said vents, styling, retention system etc. So now when I make a purchase first and foremost I must try it on then I weigh in the amount of vents, actual head coverage / protection, retention system etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i recently got 2 helmets, a Giro Hex and a Bell Variant and I love them both.

The Hex has a good fit and the vents provide awesome airflow, which is great in the hot weather we have here in Houston. It is definitely in the beefier side of helmets but it doesn't feel heavy. I wear this at the more tree congested trails where the extra coverage will matter more.

The Variant has nice venting and is a bit lighter, I feel this one fits a little better on my head than the Hex. This one I wear for more XC and street rides with the gf but can definitely handle the AM trails.

Most online retailers have both of these 2009 models heavily discounted.

Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav

To the op. I like my Giro Xen and will buy another when this one either, does it's job, or has sat on my head for another couple years.
    my mistake on not anticipating the "dude" as a possible reference for a full lid.

as to the op's question, I have really liked my Fox Flux. I had a Bell before that fit well also but switched to the Fox 2 yrs ago just to try and it really fit similarly to my Bell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    Hmmmm - Its funny how you can write something slightly humorous and it doesn't read as you would have wished --- never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    which brands have you tried that "most fit you snug"?
    I guess if I'm honest the Bell helmets were not quite as comfy and the "Slant" model I tried had a faulty retention system.
    Giro and Specialized seemed great and the Scott Fuga was very nice too.
    For 'kerb appeal' the Catlike was my fav' but probably a little pricey for me.

I think I might hunt down the Xen and Hex to try as I've found a few other people who ride these.

Members who have read this thread: 0