Helmets and shin gaurds- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

Helmets and shin gaurds

Hi, I am looking at getting a new helmet and shin gaurds. Right now I have a Giro open face helmet (not sure which model), and fox ventilater shin guards. The shin gaurds have no straps above the knee and when I pedal standing up they flap around and get caught on my handle bars. Their isn't anything really wrong with my helmet but it doesn't seem like it would offer much protection if I face planted. I have a full face HJC motocross helmet that i use for mx, but it is really heavy and hot so it sucks for biking. I was looking at the 661 full bravo comp or something like that, at jenson. Would that be any lighter than my mx helmt? I was also looking at the roach rally fr leg armor I heard good things about these. Any oppinions are welcom, Kevin

I liked the old *****
    Jan 2004
    I went from Giro Havoc to the 661 Full Comp. I was thinking about Full Bravo, but didn't care that much about the weight diff. The Full Comp does the trick, but I'll probably try something else later this year (would like more ventilation).

One thing you need to know: Giro Large = 661 Xtra-Large. The Giro full-face 'whatever' doesn't even come in Large (sm & med only), thus needing to go to another brand regardless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Hi, I am looking at getting a new helmet and shin gaurds. Right now I have a Giro open face helmet (not sure which model), and fox ventilater shin guards. The shin gaurds have no straps above the knee and when I pedal standing up they flap around and get caught on my handle bars. Their isn't anything really wrong with my helmet but it doesn't seem like it would offer much protection if I face planted. I have a full face HJC motocross helmet that i use for mx, but it is really heavy and hot so it sucks for biking. I was looking at the 661 full bravo comp or something like that, at jenson. Would that be any lighter than my mx helmt? I was also looking at the roach rally fr leg armor I heard good things about these. Any oppinions are welcom, Kevin
    Go with the 661 Full Bravo - lighter, removable liner so you can wash the stench that builds up, breath better - you head will thank you this summer...cheapest I've seen it is at beyondbikes...

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ba/asp...Itemmatrix.htm

for leg armor - depends on your use - for racing, or general riding, maybe light freeriding I'd say the 661 Race - light, not too hot, easy to pedal, good protection up front
    if you're going bigger, want more protection, take a look at the Race Face freeride or DH pads - going Super Hero? Get Hoots - they are big, bulky and hot, and offer the most protection of any leg armor I've seen or used...

J_B

Mar 2004
    I am currently wearing Roach Rally FR leg armor and '03 TLD D2. The Roach Rallly FR has good coverage and doesn't slip when pedaling or falling. They are lot better than my Dainese Leg Guards as the Dainese didn't fit me at all.

Jan 2004
    911 shin guards work really well. They go all the way down, almost into your shoe.

Members who have read this thread: 0