Helmets - round or pointy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Helmets - round or pointy

So I need to get a helmet. I don't have an issue with helmets except I hate the way they look. So I'm thinking I'll pick up a skateBoarding helmet because it 's not all weird and pointy. However I do want a safe helmet SO what should I do. Does the skate helmet work or should I buckup and get a regular bike helmet.+

Jan 2004
    A good skateboard helmet will be just as safe as long as it has the same safety sticker inside, but it will be much hotter and likely heavier.

It's strictly an immaturity thing when it comes to worrying how the helmet looks. Do you think any of the Olympic Cross Country racers worry about it? How about Lance Armstrong? What about Robin Williams? What it comes down to is putting aside the childishly insecure feelings about how you'll look in a helmet made for mountain biking and concentrate on how much cooler your nogging will be. There's a reason mountain bikers don't wear skateboard helmets as a rule. Too freakin hot and not designed for that purpose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the answer
    Last edited by Resnick; 04-11-2006 at 11:26 AM.

...the wave won't brek
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    A good skateboard helmet will be just as safe as long as it has the same safety sticker inside, but it will be much hotter and likely heavier.

It's strictly an immaturity thing when it comes to worrying how the helmet looks. Do you think any of the Olympic Cross Country racers worry about it? How about Lance Armstrong? What about Robin Williams? What it comes down to is putting aside the childishly insecure feelings about how you'll look in a helmet made for mountain biking and concentrate on how much cooler your nogging will be. There's a reason mountain bikers don't wear skateboard helmets as a rule. Too freakin hot and not designed for that purpose.
    I think the most important thing here is that the rider wants to protect their head.

So what if they don't like the way MTB helmets look lots of people don't.

It is better to worry about fashon and have a protected head then to not ware a helmet at all.

If some one wants to ware a less vented helmet let them. Don't berate them because they don't like the way MTB helmets look

To the orgional poster: If you prefer the Skate board style helmet then ware that one. They can actually be more protective from some types of injeries vs a convetnional MTB helmet with lots of vents
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

I see a number of guys riding with skateboarding helmets here but because we're in Canada, it's rare that we see blazing temperatures although 100F is possible and the high 80's are a near certainty in summer.

You could always get one in chrome to reflect some of the sunshine

With that said, I like my multi-purpose boarding helmet (which isn't chrome) but is comfortable and safe and my boys won't ride in anything else since they are also hard core skaters and like their lids.

I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

local trails rider
    Depends on what you want to do. If you plan longish rides where you will sweat, a bike helmet with lots of ventilation is the more comfortable solution. For dirt jumping and other "short effort" activities a skateboard style helmet should give you better protection.

A helmet has to fit your head, for safety and comfort.

Bike to the Bone...
    I think that as long as you wear a good helmet it's safe. Well, as long as it's not 'Conan the Barbarian' viking helmet....

Probably a skateboarding helmet might even be more secure (I don't really know), but it will probably be more hot, especially in the summer. I have a friend who is a hardcore biker that uses a round helmet. So, it's not impossible.

Also, there are different mtb helmet styles, not all are pointy. There's a catsomething that's neat.

I don't really mind how my looks like (well, not much, hahaha), but I want that's confortable and that it fit's my big head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Finally got my helmet and.. it's pointy BUT much less offensive to me than most. I ventured in to my first real bike shop and had a good long talk with the shop guy. he sold me on the pointy over the round. Guess I've matured.LOL

Mar 2006
    I just picked up a Pro-tec Ace dig helmet...looks cool and has lots of protection. Plus it looks a lot different than the average mtn bike helmet imo.

www.pro-tec.net

Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Resnick
    Finally got my helmet and.. it's pointy BUT much less offensive to me than most. I ventured in to my first real bike shop and had a good long talk with the shop guy. he sold me on the pointy over the round. Guess I've matured.LOL

FYI, the pointy end goes towards the rear...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Resnick
    So I need to get a helmet. I don't have an issue with helmets except I hate the way they look. So I'm thinking I'll pick up a skateBoarding helmet because it 's not all weird and pointy. However I do want a safe helmet SO what should I do. Does the skate helmet work or should I buckup and get a regular bike helmet.+
    i used to ride w/ on e of the skater bell helmets.
    now i have an xc helmet - TONS COOLER.
    there is no way i am going back, even if i look liek an ass.

Members who have read this thread: 0