Helmets for large melons- Mtbr.com

Jul 2008

Helmets for large melons

I do a lot of riding and have bought 3 helmets so far. My problem is that apparently, I have an unusually large or mis-shaped head. Okay, not really but I do have a big head. Anyone have any suggestions for nice helmets that won't make me look like a big mushroom headed fool? Preferably, ones that come down a little farther on the side of the head. I can get one to fit the circumference of my head but not the height. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I wear a Bell Triton on my giant head.

It's dorky, but it's a helmet. Can't ride without a helmet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had the same problem until I bought my Fox Flux. It fits well on my large noggin, and it has better coverage in the back than any other helmet I've tried.

mtbr member
    Giro all the way, I have a Hex and a Remedy, both fit really well - measured my head with tape and ordered online, sizings were spot on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Giro Xen - the Large size fits my big noggin perfectly.

BTW- Always try on any prospective helmets before you buy. Not good to have something show up in the mail, and then not fit.

Stump McBeefknuckle
    I have a Giro helmet too. The Flak can accommodate a pretty substantial head.

oxygen please
    Jul 2008
    I have a 7 7/8" and I cannot wear a Giro comfortably. The Bell Delirium L is the lowest end helmet I can fit on the thing....if price is an issue.

mtbr member
    My freakishly large 7 7/8 dome barely fists into a Giro flack. My head still looks like a male reproductive organ, though.

wretch
    Big Dome - Fox Flux or Pro Tec Cyphon XL's have both fit me very well. . . Full face. . . 661 Pro Bravo size wise it's an excellent fit, but my mouth is super close to the chin/face guard.

oh Lucky me
    i have the same prob. after speaking with Truckee on a different thread a few weeks ago, im going with the Pro Tec Cyphon!

it looks cool, and offers great protection!
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

wretch
    I hope you like it. . . one note, the BOA will take some finddling on the head to get it to sit properly when wearing sunglasses, or at least that happened with me. You kinda have to put it on holding it at the back of your head and then up and over so the BOA catches and fits. Crank down the BOA and then sorta pull the whole helmet up as you put the glasses on, I found that the BOA is what sort of gets in the way of the sunglasses arms resting just above your ears and back. Could be just the shape of my head.

Bandolero

Note to self

Do not do a Google Image Search for "Large Melons" at work.

Take my advice. Or click the link above.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Do not do a Google Image Search for "Large Melons" at work.

Take my advice. Or click the link above.
    OK, that's funny!
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    Check over in the Clydesdale forum. This same question was asked there a while ago and many of us "large bone" types had some good sugestions there.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

@adelorenzo
    I find better luck for my big head with the skate-style helmets, currently I have a Bell Faction and it is great. Those racer-style helmets never work for me.

wii!!!!!
    I just posted about this in the general forum. I was at a local shop, and they had a giro atlas. It is the first helmet that I have ever put on that fits. Its not the coolest helemt in the world, but it works. I have had a few giros and other helmets in the past, but they were always a few sizes to small.
    something funny

mtbr member
    I have a huge head, the only helmet that I can find that fits as it should are the Trek ones.

one more time
    Oct 2005
    With a cranium like yours i wouldnt reccommend riding in Borneo - those tribesmen will be after your trophy!
    Bikes, beer and pizza.

mtbr member
    It's good to know that there are lots of other people out there that have been as blessed in the head department as I have.

Feb 2004
    661 Dirt Lid fits my huge egg very well.

tl1
    Bicyclist

How about big head sunglasses?

I have a hard time finding sunglasses that aren't too tight on my head. Currently using a variety of safety glass types from http://www.safetyglassesusa.com. As far as helmets go, I have a Bell Influx that fits a big head well.

mtbr member
    Take a look at one of the Lazer Genesis lids with their new fit system--it cinches down all the way around your head. Very comfortable and versatile/adjustable...

mtbr member
    I have a size 7 3/4 head and have tried on a lot of different helmets. The Bell Xray fits me really well. I'm not sure if Bell still makes that model, but I'd bet other Bell models have a similar fit.

Also, a friend bought a Fox Flux in the largest size they make. He also has a big head and ended up returning it because it was just a shade too tight. I tried it on and it was really snug - way too snug to wear on a long ride. He ended up getting a Giro Zen, which he loves. I tried it on as well and it fits great. I'll probably end up buying one when I replace the Xray.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    I find better luck for my big head with the skate-style helmets, currently I have a Bell Faction and it is great. Those racer-style helmets never work for me.
    i've got a 7 1/2 head and have had exactly the opposite experience. bell, giro, and (currently) specialized helmets have all worked pretty well provided i bought the biggest size. several skate style helmet brands failed to fit period even when using the largest size. my advice would be to shop around and try a bunch of things on. i do work in a shop that sell specialized but have used their helmets for ages and can vouch for the fit of the large size up to at least my size, and there's still a bit of room to let the thing out as to fit larger heads.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mwcet8k
    I have a size 7 3/4 head and have tried on a lot of different helmets. The Bell Xray fits me really well. I'm not sure if Bell still makes that model, but I'd bet other Bell models have a similar fit.

Also, a friend bought a Fox Flux in the largest size they make. He also has a big head and ended up returning it because it was just a shade too tight. I tried it on and it was really snug - way too snug to wear on a long ride. He ended up getting a Giro Zen, which he loves. I tried it on as well and it fits great. I'll probably end up buying one when I replace the Xray.
    I have a 7 1/2 inch noggin. I've been leaning towards the flux. Based on what you said, given your 7 3/4, I think it'll fit me just right. I was curious about the sides though. Did they seem to come down far enough on the sides and back to make you look like proportioned? Most of the ones I try on make me look like an overgrown phallic reference?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HardRockCop
    I have a 7 1/2 inch noggin. I've been leaning towards the flux. Based on what you said, given your 7 3/4, I think it'll fit me just right. I was curious about the sides though. Did they seem to come down far enough on the sides and back to make you look like proportioned? Most of the ones I try on make me look like an overgrown phallic reference?
    I didn't have a chance to try it on where I could look at a mirror, but I know the nice thing about both the Fox Flux and the Giro Zen is that they both extend down further on the sides and back than typical helmets do.

Be sure you try on the Flux before buy it. I think my friend has roughly a 7 1/2 head as well and it was snug on him. It felt like a vice grip on me.

Members who have read this thread: 0