Helmets -- HELP ME!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Helmets -- HELP ME!!!

Hey Guys, I've Been riding for about a month now. I went to my First Real Park today and made me think about how much I should wearing a helmet. I like the Idea of a Full Face, But aren't they overkill for riding on Paved Trails?

For Example:

This Morning, Me and a buddy went and Rode a Single Track With Lots of Trees, hill etc, and After I got home, My Girlfriend wanted to go ride at the MetroPark (~20 miles paved trails)

What Should I Do, Buy Two Helmets? And Please...Recommend some Models for me. I've been riding Quads for about 10 Years, and I ALWAYS Wear my Helmet, But for MTB, I dont really Know the Trends yet.
    adam michigan karate monkey

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I always wear my helmet biking. Almost everyone wears a helmet on the local singletrack. The paved bike / walking paths seem to be about 50/50. Generally bike helmets are safety rated around 13 mph. I wear a regular bike helmet, I've never seen the need for a full face for the type of riding I do. I've broken a few helmets from crashes and have always walked away with nothing worse than a headache. Get a helmet, you'll regret it if you don't.

I wasn't wearing a helmet while skiing a few years ago, hit a tabletop too hard and missed the transition to land. I landed on flat ground, bounced, and fell backwards hitting the back of my head on the ice. After I came to, and talked with a patroller, I shook it off and went home. Ended up having a pretty serious concussion. I felt dizzy and kept vomiting for a week. I was working as a bartender and couldn't remember people's order by the time I walked to the beer tap. I've also had a permanent loss of fine motor control, my hands tremble almost all the time now.

Looking back and knowing what I know now about head injuries, I'm lucky I walked away. Helmets will never protect against all head injuries, but knowing it might save me from that ordeal again is enough to make me wear one all the time.

Edit: you wanted a recommendation. I wear Giro brand helmets, 1 for snow, 1 for bikes, they fit my head good. http://www.rei.com/product/762785 . Fit is very important. Vents are good for keeping cool. They're all held to the same safety standards, even the most expensive ones are cheaper than ambulance and ER bills.

mtbr member

Regular bike helmet will be fine

A regular XC type helmet should be fine, unless you're doing some serious freeriding or downhill stuff. For normal singletrack trail riding and paved trail riding, just get a nice mountain bike helmet. Definitely go try some on though. You want one that fits and you can't do that without trying them on so this is a good item to buy from the LBS, not over the internet. They will show you the mountain biking helmets and steer you away from the road and recreational helmets. Expect to pay $50 or more, unless you hit a sale. And don't cheap out...think about what this is doing for you in a crash and what the alternative would be.

I have the Bell Influx which I think was a nice helmet for a reasonable price. And I can verify that they work. I broke my first one in a fall a short time after getting it. I was so impressed with how well it protected me that I bought a new one exactly like it the next day.

The Bell helmets tend to fit my pointy head better than the Giro helmets do. Again, something you can only find out by trying on several models in the store so do a little research online to become familiar with the options in your price range, but don't over analyze it. Go try some on.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Here's what I just picked up: https://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel...56_126crx.aspx

I like it. I went out to my first trail a couple of weeks ago and I rode it. There's no way I'd go back without a cover (helmet). I paid too much for it at Sports Authority (I suspect I was seriously overcharged, but they don't want to admit to it)...about $58. Typically, their about $40. But, it's worth it.

Ultimately, I'd say try out several (I bought my girlfriend a Bell).
    Both Bell & Giro are manufactured by the same company anyway.
    It all depends on preference.
    But a helmet is a must.
    Good luck.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen
    Here's what I just picked up: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-...56_126crx.aspx

I like it. I went out to my first trail a couple of weeks ago and I rode it. There's no way I'd go back without a cover (helmet). I paid too much for it at Sports Authority (I suspect I was seriously overcharged, but they don't want to admit to it)...about $58. Typically, their about $40. But, it's worth it.

Ultimately, I'd say try out several (I bought my girlfriend a Bell).
    Both Bell & Giro are manufactured by the same company anyway.
    It all depends on preference.
    But a helmet is a must.
    Good luck.
    Definitely get one and wear it. I never used to and since I've gotten more serious about riding, I wear it on singletrack, on the street, paved bikepath etc. That Giro is a nice helmet, but didn't fit me as well as the Specialized Instinct.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=34850

I bought the matte black version and paid about $70 for it....love it!
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

Weekend Warrior
    A helmet is cheaper than a CATscan.

I got a big dent in my helmet right where my temple is...

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Definitely get one and wear it. I never used to and since I've gotten more serious about riding, I wear it on singletrack, on the street, paved bikepath etc. That Giro is a nice helmet, but didn't fit me as well as the Specialized Instinct.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=34850

I bought the matte black version and paid about $70 for it....love it!
    LOL!

I was just looking at my shiny Giro and thinking about how much more I preferred the matte finish of the Bell I saw (but in my case, the Giro fit my noggin' better).

I was just thinking about scuffing up the finish & sanding it and spray paininting it a matte finish to match the black matte finish of my bike, but then I could imagine the the paint coming off every time I pull it in and out of my Camelbak.

I'll keep it as is and if I upgrade, then I'll go all out and get my next one in a matte finish.

OnTheTrailAgain
    One thing I noticed from the reviews I read on the Giro (and from comments here),
    people fall in love with their helmets "after" they've had to come into use in an
    accident or something.

I just felt naked riding with experienced riders. They all had them and they were
    (pun intended) leaps and bounds better than me. I felt underdressed and felt dumb
    riding a trail without one. Even riding in the street I felt naked without one.

It's like wearing a seatbelt for me today. I was in an accident where a seatbelt
    kept me from going through the windshield and literally saved my life...this was
    before it became the law in NYS. Now, I don't drive without one on.

What could go wrong ...
    I am on my second Giro Havoc and I just bought my gf a Giro Encinal to replace her Giro Torrero. I replace my helmets every 3 years because the styrofoam breaks down from heat and sweat.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Jun 2008
    I only wear a helmet when I'm on a trail. Riding around the neighborhood and paved paths, I just don't bother. I would buy the helmet since they are so cheap, always good to have extras.

EDIT: I wear a Bell Influx or something.
    Last edited by xocomaox; 06-27-2008 at 08:08 AM.

Slick Rick
    I just use a Bell Faction, the matte black one actually.

Cheap and versatile.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    I replace my helmets every 3 years because the styrofoam breaks down from heat and sweat.
    I've never had a helmet last 3 years without a hard enough crash requiring replacement.

Jun 2008

Great fit, great airflow. Mine is black, red, and some white.

It follows the same specs as all the other bike helmets, but i'm sure one good crash and I'll have to replace it.
    Also, since it's more of a rode helmet, I don't think I'll be doing anything super extreme with it.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox
    I only wear a helmet when I'm on a trail. Riding around the neighborhood and paved paths, I just don't bother. I would buy the helmet since they are so cheap, always good to have extras.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb
    I just use a Bell Faction, the matte black one actually.

Cheap and versatile.
    Matte is so cool!

First thing I wanted to do was to scuff up my helmet.

It reminds me of a rookie who comes onto a construction site with a shiny new tool belt!

No respectable contractor would come into work with his belt shiny!

We scuff them up a bit first!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam
    But for MTB, I dont really Know the Trends yet.
    Mtb or something else, it's still about your head, not about looking cool or trendy.
    As far as helmet goes, go to store and try it. Everyone are raving about Giro, but personally I can't stand them. Pretty much any helmet of Giro I tried (Ionos, Pneumo, Atmos and E2) just doesn't seat nicely on my head. Same goes for Rudy project helmets, but on the other side I'm happy with Met helmets (before 5th element, not Veleno D). So it's hard to tell which one will fit you best. Only chance is to go to store and try yourself.
    And one more tip... don't be cheap when it comes to helmets... it's about your head anyway.
    Primoz

local trails rider
    Try before you buy. A helmet needs to fit your head.

Full Face is great for protection but they are usually hot and restrict your breathing: not so good for an up-and-down trail ride on a hot summer day.

I have tried dozens of helmets and so far found two that I can wear without discomfort.

Never trust a fart
    You need to go to one or more of your LBS and try on several different kinds of helmets. Get the one that fits the best, looks the best, and fits in to your budget.

I ended up with a Bell Slant in the White/Grey/Orange variety. It had the best fit for my head. The only one that fit just as well was the Giro Xen and it was out of my budget or I would have purchased it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic

It follows the same specs as all the other bike helmets, but i'm sure one good crash and I'll have to replace it.
    Also, since it's more of a rode helmet, I don't think I'll be doing anything super extreme with it.
    You should always replace a helmet after a good crash. Even without visible damage, the styrofoam insides could be crushed enough that the helmet will not protect another crash. This goes for all types of helmets, they're only considered safe for one impact.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Maybe time to read the replies and acknowledge?

However. Yes you should wear a helmet. I have not bashed my head falling off, but both I and my wife have bashed our heads on tree trunks and branches just riding. Glad of the helmet, although the impacts would only have been (nasty) bruising I would say.

Another thing to learn is the tuck and roll. If you can get a martial arts guy to teach you how to throw yourself at the ground and not get hurt it can be invaluable. This will include rolls and slams, and how to minimise damage. The difference between my over-the-bars (OTBs) and my wife's is that she almost always face plants, and I don't. I have tried to teach her, but ....she's my wife <G>. You also need to keep practicing the fall under controlled conditions, so when it happens unplanned, it come naturally.

Nick

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wear a helmet. I like my specialized havoc and my deviant, but like everyone else said you've got to try them on for yourself.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox
    2nd the Influx. This is a cheap, well-fitting helmet w/ a great locking system. Hard to find- they seem to keep stopping & starting production or something.

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Members who have read this thread: 0