Helmets- Giro Havoc or Hex- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Helmets- Giro Havoc or Hex

I am torn between the 2 helmets. Both fit good in the medium size. Both are about the same price at performance. Which has better airflow? How do I decide which helmet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shades9323
    How do I decide which helmet?
    Whichever fits the best and looks the nicest to YOU

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12many
    Whichever fits the best and looks the nicest to YOU
    What if both fit the best and look the nicest to ME?

since 4/10/2009
    What if both fit the best and look the nicest to ME?
    That would be impossible.

Seriously, if you can't make a decision, then just pick one and buy it. Eenie meenie miney mo if you have to. I just bought a Havoc. I liked the Hex about the same, but my wife REALLY hated the Hex...so there you go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I got the havoc, it is very comfortable and all the vents keep your head cool. I think the havoc is also cheaper (purchased mine from performance bikes for $42), the hex just has a more aggressive design.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Well just to balance this and keep you indecisive I love my Hex (didn't try the Havoc though). I'm even putting up with the awful camo wannabe pattern because I like the fit and the extra coverage (the extra coverage was the big selling point). Can't believe how well the thing vents (rode for 5hrs Sunday in the blaring sun, crazy sunburn but my head was reasonably cool the whole time).

Really though, one of the two must fit different, feel better, look better...maybe match your bike better?!?!??

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    Well just to balance this and keep you indecisive....
    Which one uses more material? Pick that one so you'll be getting more material for the money. Or maybe one helmet comes with more extras?

I also think Giro keeps stats of helmets replaced, whether by crash/damage, mechanical failure, or problems with fit. Give them a call and I'm sure they can give you these reports. Then maybe you can make a better informed decision.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have the havoc. I like it, but then again I just picked a helmet off the shelf that fit well and covered the melon and bob's your uncle it was on my noggin the next day.

2-wheel junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    I'm even putting up with the awful camo wannabe pattern because I like the fit and the extra coverage (the extra coverage was the big selling point).
    haha I kinda like the pattern on my Hex. they use the graphic of those spacer thingys for 45s (vinyl singles).

anyway fit and adjustability of roc lok 4 system back strap allows for a great fit. cant wait to try it out in the heat of summer.

Hex def has more coverage along the back par of the helmet, esp. the lower part. Try it on, get in the riding position and see if it bothers you.
    Santa Cruz Nomad
    Cove Stiffee FR
    Honda CRF 250X
    Yamaha YZF-R1

Its got what plants crave
    I have a Hex.. it vents pretty well but it sits way high on my head. I thought the idea behind these new aggro helms was that they were supposed to have good coverage especially on the rear of your head but I guess I was wrong.

Feb 2008
    if you want good coverage in the back & plenty of airflow try the fox flux...its a good alternative to the giro. if i didn't have the flux i'd probably have the havoc or hex?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I have a Hex.. it vents pretty well but it sits way high on my head. I thought the idea behind these new aggro helms was that they were supposed to have good coverage especially on the rear of your head but I guess I was wrong.
    That is what I was thinking, but it still fits nice. I guess I'll buy the one that matches my bikes best. It is hard though with a red bike and a black bike and a yellow bike and an orange bike and a burgandy bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That is what I was thinking, but it still fits nice. I guess I'll buy the one that matches my bikes best. It is hard though with a red bike and a black bike and a yellow bike and an orange bike and a burgandy bike.
    That's why they all come in black.

mtbr member
    I am torn between the 2 helmets. Both fit good in the medium size. Both are about the same price at performance. Which has better airflow? How do I decide which helmet?
    I believe the Havoc has 27 vents and the Hex has 21? I just ordered an '08 Havoc from REI for $51. I chose it because I like the fit better than the Hex, and also I like the Acu Dial better than the Roc Loc. For some reason, Giro changed the system from Roc Loc to Acu Dial for the '08s.

mtbr member
    I got a Havoc last year and 2nd day I had it dropped it on the floor in my kitchen. Visor broke and so did one of the locks on the back of it.. So, I was out of a new helmet after 1 use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus
    I got a Havoc last year and 2nd day I had it dropped it on the floor in my kitchen. Visor broke and so did one of the locks on the back of it.. So, I was out of a new helmet after 1 use.

Guess you shouldn't have dropped it!

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I had to go up a size on the Hex. The small (what I usually wear) fit "ok" but felt high on my head and like it wasn't offering that much more protection. I wasn't impressed.

Tried on a Medium for grins and giggles. Totally different fit, the perched feeling went away completely, coverage increased, and it's not anywhere near too big. I now own that helmet; I'd have walked away had I only tried on the size I normally wear...

Members who have read this thread: 0