Helmets, full back?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Helmets, full back?

So I'm sort of noob-ish; I've been on bikes forever and rode bmx for a while, but just got a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc this summer and have been riding it all summer.

Anyway, my little brother needs a helmet and I'm wondering if I should give him the Giro Transfer I'm using now and buy a new transfer for myself (around $30), or if I should look to a helmet like the the Fox Flux that has coverage in the back. Would that make a difference for me as far as safety is concerned? I've taken to riding pretty aggressively for the amount of time I've been on the bike, and ride in rough, rocky areas. I want to be as safe as I can without wasting my money, so my question becomes: is a helmet with a full back going to do me any extra good?

If so, what suggestions would you have? So far I've seen the Fox Flux, and the Giro Hex, Phase, and Xen. I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible, as I'm a poor college kid.

meow meow
    the transfer looks like it comes down just about as far as a hex or xen. although if i were you id get a helmet with a visor.

habitual line-stepper
    T.H.E. B-1 from jensonusa, $10.50.
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    personally i just dont like the alien look so i ordered this:

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The transfer doesn't really do much to cover the back of my head/neck; it sits kind of high on my head. I think I'm going to go with the Fox Flux which seems to be one of the tougher helmets for the price range.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have a Fox Flux and I love it.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by airdonut41
    So I'm sort of noob-ish; I've been on bikes forever and rode bmx for a while, but just got a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc this summer and have been riding it all summer.

Anyway, my little brother needs a helmet and I'm wondering if I should give him the Giro Transfer I'm using now and buy a new transfer for myself (around $30), or if I should look to a helmet like the the Fox Flux that has coverage in the back. Would that make a difference for me as far as safety is concerned? I've taken to riding pretty aggressively for the amount of time I've been on the bike, and ride in rough, rocky areas. I want to be as safe as I can without wasting my money, so my question becomes: is a helmet with a full back going to do me any extra good?

If so, what suggestions would you have? So far I've seen the Fox Flux, and the Giro Hex, Phase, and Xen. I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible, as I'm a poor college kid.

The Xen does not come very far down in the back. It LOOKS like it comes down in the back when you look at the helmet, but in reality it just comes up higher on the sides, which gives the illusion of coming down farther in the back. It has the least coverage (in terms of how far it comes down on the sides and back) of any helmet I have owned (it is my 4th in the last 10 years). Basically, it comes down no more in the back than any other helmet I have tried, but a lot higher on the sides.

That said, I find it really comfortable, well-fitting, and the first helmet that does not look ridiculous on my head.
    Last edited by kapusta; 07-21-2010 at 02:55 PM.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    The times I've taken falls on my head I've always nailed the side of my helmet. That's not to say you wont ever hit the back of your head, but the side is probably more common. Maybe others have had different experiences? Either way, my helmet has saved my head more than a few times.

Tossin the salad.
    2nd helmet just got replaced! I owned both the Indicator and now the Havoc by Giro and they protected my noggin and saved me for sure!!

Also at both times, Ithe crash impacted was on the sides of the helmet, minus the Havoc which also cracked in the front. No damage on the back of these two helmets.

So the Indicator $29 saved my life!
    The Havoc $60 saved my life!

Even though I am a true fan of GIRO helmets, I am going with the Fox Flux, not sure it will be any better and I am sure as for protection, it does seem to give more face / head protection. A head injury would suck, so get a good helmet for sure, don't cut yourself short there!! Good luck and I am sure any of the one's you mentioned will be good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I ended up ordering a flux, and I think it will give me some more protection. I tried on a Xen, and it didn't seem to be too different from my Transition. Plus, the Type O-negative looks pretty sick, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    took the Fox Transition out this weekend and man that sucker cools well. it was like 100+ degrees out and the helmet didn't retain any heat at all. Very comfortable piece, too.

Members who have read this thread: 0