helmets- Mtbr.com

Thread: helmets

mtbr member
    May 2010

helmets

is there a difference between the $60.00 helmet at the lbs and the $20.00 helmet at wal-mart

meow meow
    style and vents. not safety.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    style and vents. not safety.
    Yes, and in my opinon they all look terrible, but my head is more important than looking cool.

Fat-tired Roadie
    More expensive helmets typically have a little better strap/suspension system. So it's easier to make them more comfortable, and they tend to stay in place better.

They meet the same impact standards, though.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

29 and Single
    Oct 2009
    A more adjustable helmet will fit better and be more comfortable. That way when the inevitable does happen, the helmet is in the right place. I think the helmet from Wal-mart is better than no helmet at all but I think you will be happier with a helmet that is more adjustable.

Oh, and you can put anything on in a store and have it be comfortable for 5 minutes. But after several hours of wearing it, any minor irritant that you felt in the few minutes you tried it on on the store is going to be a major PITA.
    Some days you eat the bar, some days the bar eats you.

mtbr member
    I tried a few Bell's on and the cheapest, $20 one ended up being the most comfortable for me.

mtbr member
    I have both a 15 dollar Schwinn Helmet and a 50 Dollar Giro Helmet. Only noticeable difference is weight, design, venting, and the suspension system. Like everyone has already said they all have to pass the same crash testing, so you will be safe either way.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Only noticeable difference is weight, design, venting, and the suspension system.

Thats all ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Thats all ?
    Yeah.

Your paying more for design and comfort, not for protection. All helmets will protect you, but not all will be as comfortable.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

meow meow
    Yeah.

Your paying more for design and comfort, not for protection. All helmets will protect you, but not all will be as comfortable.
    i think you missed the joke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    i think you missed the joke.
    Nope, ignored it.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

~Disc~Golf~
    Honestly... ahh I give up

TRANCER
    Ride

Pretty in Pink
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanesk
    This Giro Athlon was so light weight. I could really feel a difference from my old lid.

http://www.allsportprotection.com/Gi...et_p/20193.htm
    It was your wallet that noticed the weight difference, not your head.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkBarron
    It was your wallet that noticed the weight difference, not your head.
    Looks a lot like my Giro Phase, and mine has more vents and was 100 dollars less
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    I appreciate a lighter helmet only when I'm running a torch light mount at night. My Hex is heavy at 330g so I ordered a lighter Giro 260g.

mtbr member
    I guess I must me too big or not experienced enough...but who needs a helmet off road? At most, I would find it nice to absorb those pesky branches (I'm 6'9"). Am I missing a reason why I see a lot of people off road with a helmet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djjr50
    I guess I must me too big or not experienced enough...but who needs a helmet off road? At most, I would find it nice to absorb those pesky branches (I'm 6'9"). Am I missing a reason why I see a lot of people off road with a helmet?
    Seriously?

Go jump of the roof of your house head first, your going to wish you had a helmet when your dead or have brain damage. Its a bit dramatic, but I think you with get the point.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Seriously...a roof, head first?

Since I am tall enough to probably step down from said roof...J/K! But seriously..maybe some context is needed. I can probably understand you folks who are going down mountains and stuff. But Fla is flat and falling off of a bike is NOT dangerous down here. And I have fallen off a bike more than a few times as a lad, and for some odd reason, I never fell on my head. I'm not understanding the need for a helmet if you are not on the road or going 20mph down a mountain. Would those be the only qualifiers...besides committing suicide off of your roof?

mtbr member

Since I am tall enough to probably step down from said roof...J/K! But seriously..maybe some context is needed. I can probably understand you folks who are going down mountains and stuff. But Fla is flat and falling off of a bike is NOT dangerous down here. And I have fallen off a bike more than a few times as a lad, and for some odd reason, I never fell on my head. I'm not understanding the need for a helmet if you are not on the road or going 20mph down a mountain. Would those be the only qualifiers...besides committing suicide off of your roof?
    You can get knocked out cold from rolling out of bed and hitting your head on a night stand. What do you think a tree or a rock will do at 10MPH? Go buy a helmet, and I wont be the first one to tell you this.

I know my little analogy was harsh, but thats the closest thing I could think of to crashing and hitting your head while riding.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

29 and Single
    Oct 2009

I have never been expecting any of the crashes I have ever had. Perhaps I will start scheduling them so I can leave the helmet at home on days when I won't crash.

I think you might not be experienced enough if you haven't found the value of a helmet. Some of the trails around here can get as hard as a sidewalk in the summer not to mention the rocks and the roots or bridges.

I know I and several of the people I ride with have taken spills that made us forget who we were and wonder why we were sitting on the ground. Deflecting branches and having a place to mount a light is just an added benefit.

Be safe
    Some days you eat the bar, some days the bar eats you.

mtbr member
    My mother always told me that "a hard head makes for a soft behind." I was always that guy who played bball without a mouthguard, who walked outside barefooted, and mowed the yard in shorts (even weed whacked). I guess I can always buy a helmet. Maybe living in Fla and watching those motorcyclist roll by with no dome protector has me infected with the invincible bug. Points taken.

mtbr member
    My mother always told me that "a hard head makes for a soft behind." I was always that guy who played bball without a mouthguard, who walked outside barefooted, and mowed the yard in shorts (even weed whacked). I guess I can always buy a helmet. Maybe living in Fla and watching those motorcyclist roll by with no dome protector has me infected with the invincible bug. Points taken.
    Your not invisible and you will learn that when you do crash. I have scars, and stories for everyone of them. I have face planted straight in to a tree, fallen of bridges, done endos going up hill, and I have stabbed by branches while falling. I never ride without my lid, even though I have never hit my head.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

edj
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Helmut Difference

Quote Originally Posted by Leerbear
    is there a difference between the $60.00 helmet at the lbs and the $20.00 helmet at wal-mart
    I had a $30 Bell Helmut from Walmart, which is very highly rated for safety and has a rounder design so the edges don't catch - highly recommended. Truth to tell I returned it and ordered a Bell Influx for about $45 because 1. It has more ventilation, 2. It comes in specific head sizes so the fit is better, and 3. I thought it looked cooler.

mtbr member
    Your not invisible and you will learn that when you do crash. I have scars, and stories for everyone of them. I have face planted straight in to a tree, fallen of bridges, done endos going up hill, and I have stabbed by branches while falling. I never ride without my lid, even though I have never hit my head.
    I have many scars, but only a few are from bike riding. I guess its different for me because even though I am big, I can control my body. I always land on my feet or legs. Maybe its from the many years of athletics through college and many years being the oldest of 4 boys...but I'm still struggling how people are just falling to the floor from a bike. Your feet are no more than 3 feet off of the ground...use them!

In any event, the next time I think about it, I will pick me up a wally-world special.

P.S. Its "invincible", not "invisible". I am too big to be invisible! LOL!

AZ
    banned
    I'm invisible ,................................................. ..................... none of you can see me .

mtbr member

I think another danger besides the ground is the bike. In some crashes the bike can flip over and hit you in the head. And then you're all like "Hey ground you thought you were gonna knock me out cause I don't have a helmet on but I got you!" And then the ground laughs that evil laugh and says "little did you know that I don't work alone. Muah, ha ha!"

Yeah, it can happen. (Not the conversation with the ground, unless you got hit pretty hard in the head)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have many scars, but only a few are from bike riding. I guess its different for me because even though I am big, I can control my body. I always land on my feet or legs. Maybe its from the many years of athletics through college and many years being the oldest of 4 boys...but I'm still struggling how people are just falling to the floor from a bike. Your feet are no more than 3 feet off of the ground...use them!

In any event, the next time I think about it, I will pick me up a wally-world special.

You must be part feline if you always land on your feet, if you are riding hard and pushing yourself you will wipe out and not land on your feet.

Pretty in Pink

At 6ft 9 I would like to see you got OTB and land on your feet. Or have your front wheel taco off a drop and tumble down a ledgy section and not get hurt. I am nimble and athletic as well, I land on my feet a lot if I am anticipating a crash, but its the ones that you dont anticipate that send you to ICU. Its up to you if you wear a helmet or not, but don't condemn those who do.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Helmets are only tested to a MINIMUM standard. Anyone that guarantees that they are all equally safe is talking straight from their bunghole as no standardized tests are given to find the max. It only means they have all met the minimum standard. After that all bets are off.

This does not mean that a more expensive helmet will offer more protection. Could be better, could be worse, but it only has to meet a minimum standard. Testing can only go so far and with all the different ways there are to konk your noggin, there's just no way to know what will protect you best in every situation.

That being out of the way, more expensive helmets are usually designed to be more comfortable. They generally have better airflow, they're lighter and more sophisticated retention systems.

They used to publish the standards to which they tested various types of helmets and why, but I haven't been able to find the publications for quite some time. It usually involved dropping the helmet from a given distance with a given amount of weight inside the helmet.

BMX and skate lids are tested to different standards than regular cycling helmets. They are designed to be able to withstand multiple (sometimes, but not always) impacts as they figure crashing is a more frequent occurance. But they weren't designed to withstand as much as an impact as the speeds in those disciplines were not normally as great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

I live in south Florida too. The trails here may be pretty flat, but they aren't a cake walk. They all have some or many technical features that can be pretty challenging. If you're pushing your skill envelope there's no way you will always land on your feet when you wreck. Nine out of ten times I land on my feet too, but that other one time leaves with with a few serious bruises. I have yet to crack my helmet open, but the day I do I'm gonna say "damn, that's the best fifty bucks I've ever spent. Time to get another!"

Just two weeks ago I was riding with my buddy at Markham Park. Couple hours of riding and we're just about ready to leave. We're going down a small hill and he somehow manages to catch his front tire up. He goes OTB and lands head first at the base of a tree. The bike swung around and landed on his head. It put a huge gash in his helmet. Otherwise it would have been his skull that was cracked open. And he could just as easily have landed on one of the many jagged rocks they love to scatter on trails around here.

Anyway, a helmet is like car insurance. You hope you never need it, but when you do it'll save you a lot of pain. Or from a permanent ride on the short bus.

Members who have read this thread: 0