Helmets- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmets

mtbr member

Helmets

Do you always wear one? On the trail, yes, of course. But how about if you're just with the family on the C & O canal? I don't know why, because on the trail I'm the biggest helmet advocate there is, but if I'm on the canal for a very leisurely pedal with my wife and kids a helmet seems like a royal pain in the arse. I'm in the minority I guess, because on the last C & O trip I think I was one of the only ones not wearing a helmet, along with my wife. I guess we're bad influences on the kids or hypocrites, because we make the kids wear helmets, but we're better riders, and we're adults too.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    i only wear helmet if im on trail OR riding on a road with traffic above say 25mph OR using clip in pedals...

other than that on leisurely cruises im helmet-less... although i have seen pics of people who have severely messed up their domes in their own driveways...

luckily the only time i needed a helmet I had one on... (other than the time my mother dropped me as an infant...)
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    I always do. Crazy stuff can happen even on flat boring tread. Its just second nature too, I feel naked or like something's "wrong" if I clip in without it. I don't notice it too much on my head and it doesn't take up much space to bring along so I don't see what the big pain in the ass about it is.

I was at Gambrill a couple years back, I only make it out to western MD a couple times a year, and I saw someone riding the yellow trail without a helmet. That's simply not sane to me, the towpath I can understand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I wear a helmet regardless of where I'm riding. Whether it be on the trail, on the road, rail trail, or even if I'm just out checking some adjustments I just made to the bike. Call it overkill, but it's just the way I am. I won't even ski anymore without a helmet...

BTW, my worst crash occurred on a cinder surface rail trail.

mtbr member
    I don't put it on while I'm checking adjustments in my driveway/culdesac, but for anything involving miles, yes.

mtbr member
    Is it not illegal to ride without a helmet on the C&O? For kids at least? I now this is not specifically about the C&O but I was just wondering because I had my little one out on the canal for the first time a few days ago and we both wore a helmet even though he was in a trailer and we were only going like 8-9 mph.

But to answer the question...yeah...I always wear one and so does my son.

I'm just messing with you
    I personally try to avoid doing things that would leave me with the epitaph "he knew better"
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eugalc
    Do you always wear one? On the trail, yes, of course. But how about if you're just with the family on the C & O canal? I don't know why, because on the trail I'm the biggest helmet advocate there is, but if I'm on the canal for a very leisurely pedal with my wife and kids a helmet seems like a royal pain in the arse. I'm in the minority I guess, because on the last C & O trip I think I was one of the only ones not wearing a helmet, along with my wife. I guess we're bad influences on the kids or hypocrites, because we make the kids wear helmets, but we're better riders, and we're adults too.
    On the trail and on the road covering any distance, yes I always wear one. It is just second nature, and I do not see any reason why not. I cannot imagine what part of wearing a helmet is a pain in the @ss, it is just like wearing a hat, IMO. That said, there are times when I am just cruising around the neighborhood, a greenway or rails-to-trails where I might not wear one, but that is rare because I most likely had to do some real road miles before I get there. When I am with my sisters kids (don't have any, myself) pedaling around the park, I DO wear one simply to set an example.

As big a believer in helmets as I am, I would not skip a bike ride due to the lack of a helmet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm alive today because a motorcycle helmet save me. I always wear one when on the mt bike...mt biking. Around town taking leasure strolls I don't (C&O included).

Some people just don't learn. I'm one of them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    I always do. Crazy stuff can happen even on flat boring tread. Its just second nature too, I feel naked or like something's "wrong" if I clip in without it. I don't notice it too much on my head and it doesn't take up much space to bring along so I don't see what the big pain in the ass about it is.

I was at Gambrill a couple years back, I only make it out to western MD a couple times a year, and I saw someone riding the yellow trail without a helmet. That's simply not sane to me, the towpath I can understand.
    No helmet on the yellow trail or any trail in Gambrill is asking for trouble. That's as silly as not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. Maybe the guy you saw forgot to pack his helmet and was hellbent on riding- though I still don't think I would risk it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Alright, here goes... I almost never post here but this is my two cents...

In college i suffered a brain injury from a "leisurely" ride home from a friend's place. A helmet would have saved me from two years of grief. Simply put a brain injury is not something you want to mess around with. It can end careers, change personalities, and change your life in ways you don't want to imagine. Trust me, messy hair or the pain the ass you may perceive is the very least of your worries. Helmets preserve the life you know now. Stick the bucket on your head and stay happy. peace.

Members who have read this thread: 0