Helmets...

Printable View

• 11-13-2009
    soooloose
    Helmets...
    Well, I'm a beginner, but i am just starting to really bomb the descents. My most regular trail has super technical descents and some good air-potential. I have been riding this trail pretty tamely for a while now, but recently I have been charging and getting like 3-8 feet of air. My question is, is a regular helmet good enough, or do i need a full face one?

(ive taken some falls where I wished i had one, but I'm not sure about the weight difference and don't have that much $ to spend.)
  • 11-13-2009
    micro224
    for me there is no way i would even consider not wearing a full face helmet if i were rippin it down hill and getting decent air. you dont have to spend a ton for a decent full face and IMO its totally worth it.
  • 11-13-2009
    CHUM
    you're catching 8' and wonder if a FF is a good idea?!

umm...yes....a FF and armor (i like fox launch) is a good investment....
  • 11-13-2009
    kapusta
    Quote:

Originally Posted by soooloose
    Well, I'm a beginner, but i am just starting to really bomb the descents. My most regular trail has super technical descents and some good air-potential. I have been riding this trail pretty tamely for a while now, but recently I have been charging and getting like 3-8 feet of air. My question is, is a regular helmet good enough, or do i need a full face one?

(ive taken some falls where I wished i had one, but I'm not sure about the weight difference and don't have that much $ to spend.)

If you are getting 8 feet of air, you can move out of the beginner's forum. Go ask about this on the AM or DH/FR board. But yeah, If I were 8 feet in the air I'd like some more protection. The only thing to keep in mind is that most real full face helmets are no fun to be climbing in. If you have a bunch of xc/trail riding mixed in, that helmet will become too much and you'll end up riding with it strapped to the pack where it does no good. On the other hand, if you are mostly doing long climbs and then long descents, it makes sense to climb without it to have it on the way down.
  • 11-13-2009
    JimC.
    Ask yourself this...
    Will my teeth grow back if I break them?

Most of us here on the Norshore ride uphill with the FF helmets off, then put them on for the descent.

Jim

no this isn't me....

• 11-13-2009
    BigSharks
    ^^I was just going to say to watch some downhill accidents on Youtube, but that is way better.