Helmets- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmets

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Helmets

How long are helmets good for if they are new. By new I mean I wore it one or two times, never dropped or crashed with it. I don't wear one on the street and have not gone on a trail yet. I am thinking if I am going to ride to work some I should wear one. What I have is a Bell Reebok avalanche pump. The only date on a sticker I see is Oct 1994.

Thanks
    Brad
    1993 Nishiki Manitoba
    2009 Specialized Hardrock Sport in satin bronze
    2009 DiamondBack Lux the wifes

What could go wrong ...
    that helmet is about 12 years past due to be replaced

I replace my helmets every 3 years or after a crash
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

pants on head retarded
    A helmet that isn't worn doesn't suffer much wear and tear, though most materials will start breaking down with age.

I'd say it's better than nothing, but new helmets with fifteen more years development work in them will offer better protection and likely significantly more comfort.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i wouldnt wear it if i was you.
    Materials used in the helmet might have signs of fatigue. Not worth it, just get a new helmet
    Giant Yukon 09'
    Merida NinetySix
    Marin 09 Quake 7.9

mtbr member
    I remember those pump helmets. I had always wanted one, but never got it. You might be able to sell it to someone that just wants it for ole times sake. Put it on eBay and throw the word vintage in the title.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Myah's Daddy
    How long are helmets good for if they are new. By new I mean I wore it one or two times, never dropped or crashed with it. I don't wear one on the street and have not gone on a trail yet. I am thinking if I am going to ride to work some I should wear one. What I have is a Bell Reebok avalanche pump. The only date on a sticker I see is Oct 1994.

Thanks
    Brad
    Unless it's made of mostly organic matter, I'm pretty sure the materials will last forever or close to it, unless damaged in a crash. You could make it last even longer by not wearing it while riding. If you want to play it safe, just spring for a new one, then wear it for a change.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    Unless it's made of mostly organic matter, I'm pretty sure the materials will last forever or close to it, unless damaged in a crash. You could make it last even longer by not wearing it while riding. If you want to play it safe, just spring for a new one, then wear it for a change.
    rubber has a shelf life so the lasts forever comment i wouldnt put too much belief in

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The foam that is used is similar to that of motorcycle helmets. Those have a shelf life of about 5 years. Since they are inexpensive and can save your life, I highly sugest dropping the change for a new one.
    -glueslug

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So knowing I should get a new one, is there a good brand to start at or to stay away from? I bought my Bell only because I like their auto racing helmets. I like the way the cheap ones had the same safety features as the expensive ones just heavier. The one I have never fit correct though so I did not wear it much.

Brad
    1993 Nishiki Manitoba
    2009 Specialized Hardrock Sport in satin bronze
    2009 DiamondBack Lux the wifes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Myah's Daddy
    So knowing I should get a new one, is there a good brand to start at or to stay away from? I bought my Bell only because I like their auto racing helmets. I like the way the cheap ones had the same safety features as the expensive ones just heavier. The one I have never fit correct though so I did not wear it much.

Brad
    One that fits your head.

All bike helmets are crash tested to the same standards, so any helmet is going to save the grey matter.

Just find one that fits, it doesn't need to be expensive.

Members who have read this thread: 0