Helmets- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmets

Dec 2007

Helmets

Do you frown upon trail riders who dont wear helmets?

Doctor
    Dec 2008
    That would be hypocritical of me, since I ride the trail and do not wear a helmet.

They're uncomfortable.

YMMV

jeff

Dec 2007
    Im just curious, I see pictures of these epic rides and EVERYONE is wearing a helmet. But I agree with you jeff, pretty uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    An uncomfortable helmet is uncomfortable. A comfortable helmet is comfortable. That's just how it is. People die from pretty minor blows to the head, but the way I look at it is survival of the fittest. If you aren't intelligent enough to try to save your own life, so be it.

mtbr member
    No rider who takes his riding seriously would ever ride on a trail in the mountains without his helmet. The only people I ever see riding without one are noobs who really don't know any better.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    I would rather see everyone on the trail wear a helmet. Yeah, its your life, and ultimately your choice. Unfortunatly, everyones heads are shaped differently, and the helmet that fits one individual perfectly, may not fit the next person at all. So, trial and error is needed. Unfortunatly, short test fittings in a store do not give a good indication of overall comfort, and many people end up purchasing a helmet, and they end up not liking the fit.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by pawe1
    A helmet can be the difference between being able to walk or ride out, and needing to be carried out. If a rider chooses not to wear a helmet I will not help carry them out.

There are comfortable helmets out there if you look around.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pawe1
    Yes.

I can't imagine riding without a helmet. I also wear impact resistant Sunglasses.

mtbr member
    yes i am a member of the "helmet police"

ive konked my noggin a good number of times with a helmet, and im sure i wouldnt have walked away if i wasnt wearing one...

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    I absolutely refuse to ride with anyone who is not wearing a helmet. Yes, that means I've left rides, turned around and either went home or to a different trail.

My choice, but then I've seen first hand the aftermath of severe head injuries and had to watch someone close to me die over the course of 7 months. I do not wish it on my worst enemy and do everything in my power to prevent myself from having to see it or live through it again.

Yes, it's that big of a deal to me.

Edit: As for them being uncomfortable... I wear one that is light, well vented, and well designed. It's not "cheap" at $80, but I don't even know it's on my head once I'm riding.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Yes I do--unless it's a weekender teen who probably doesn't know any better and/or dont have the dough.

mtbr member
    I think it's a personal choice whether to wear a helmet or not so I will not actively criticize those that don't. I do look down on non-helmet wearers a bit since they obviously don't value their safety very much. At first I hated wearing a helmet since they were so uncomfortable. Turns out that i was just wearing the wrong kind, instead of the "Universal fit" helmets, I got a "Large" sized helmet and it fits very comfortably.

AKA Dr.Nob
    I say anything to anybody if they aren't wearing a helmet but I PERSONALLY think it is one of the stupidest thing you can do.

Oh and if you've hurt your head you'd better hope you are in good enough shape to get your self out. I also wouldn't expect much sympathy from the rest of us.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004

I will always wear my

helmet and I have two more sitting in my truck just in case I am riding with someone that doesn't have one. All three of my helmets are a little pricey but I took the time to make sure they were comfortable for me. I wanted to get the Fox Flux but as soon as I put it on......nope.

Oh, by the way, if someone crashed and was badly injured and they weren't wearing a helmet.....I would not let them try and get out themselves and go on about my ride without helping. I guess the old saying goes here....two wrongs don't make a right. My Soldiers say I am pretty cold hearted but those of you who wouldn't help an injured person regardless of the situation....not a riding partner I would ride with!
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

Dec 2007
    Thanks for the input I read the posts that people say "I wouldnt help anyone out if they got hurt while wearing no helmet" I think thats a little harsh but it is what it is I guess.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, it is a little harsh saying you won't help someone who is hurt and not wearing a helmet. I couldn't pass them by and still sleep that night. Of course I also make a living helping people in need, even people that do the dumbest things you can imagine.

I always suggest people wear a helmet, but it is still their choice. I've ridden with plenty of people not wearing one. I just hope they don't crash hard. Besides, you can still get knocked out or seriously injured with one on, I just believe it reduces your chances of a serious injury.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Helmets, Seatbelts, Hearing Protection around loud noise, Safety Glasses when appropriate, etc. No reason in the world not to, lots of good reasons to. Life, Limb, Ears, Eyes.
    Think about it.
    YZF571

mtbr member
    My family has always been around motorcycles. Unfortunately my cousin, and a good friend of my fathers' have died because of injuries that a helmet could have saved them from. My dad's friend was coming slowly around a corner and a car was pulling out in front of him. He grabbed the brakes a bit too much and he started falling sideways and hit his head on the curb. His impact was literally no faster than gravity took him to the ground.

My cousin was riding about 45mph and hit a roll of carpet that had fallen out of a truck. He got kicked into the median and hit a pole. There was no injury to his neck at all, but his brain swelled, and they eventually had to take him off life support.

I have a close friend of mine and he ALWAYS wears his gear. He rides a motorcycle every day of the year, and has been in three crashes. He's walked away from every single one practically unscathed. I realize a motorcycle and a mountain bike are different, but the point is it doesn't take much to really do some major damage to your brain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by YZF571
    ..Hearing Protection around loud noise...
    YZF571
    I wish I would have listened to that advice when I was 16. Way too many punk and hardcore shows with no earplugs. My eardrums bled after one. Now I can't hear high pitched noises well and I can't pick sounds out when there is a lot of background noise.

Blind biker
    I use a helmet mainly becuase of a retnia condition that can casue me total unrepairable blindness from a super hard impact. A helmet saved me from having a concussion once as i only walked away with a very mild headache.

mtbr member
    Flames incoming ->

I would like to think that wearing a helmet is a personal choice, but if you get smacked on the head you will not be the only one that suffers from your error in judgment. So even if a helmet is hot and uncomfortable, it is also protecting loved ones as well as your grey matter. I've seen way too many people go splat to let this "personal choice" talk continue.

*edit* I guess it is a 'personal choice' if you weigh out hot and uncomfortable vs. Traumatic Brain Injury, but the prudent person would would choose to wear a helmet. I don't hear the angle of our families and if we are injured a lot during these discussions, so I thought I would present that angle.
    Last edited by Steve030687; 02-01-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Jan 2009
    How about this, have your buddy punch you in the head with it on, then again with it off.

You'll get the point, stupid and pointless post.

...idios...
    "Do you frown upon trail riders who dont wear helmets?"

Not at all; who am I to make such judgements of people? I won't ride out on trails with somebody who doesn't wear a helmet, though.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve030687
    Flames incoming ->

I would like to think that wearing a helmet is a personal choice, but if you get smacked on the head you will not be the only one that suffers from your error in judgment. So even if a helmet is hot and uncomfortable, it is also protecting loved ones as well as your grey matter. I've seen way too many people go splat to let this "personal choice" talk continue.

*edit* I guess it is a 'personal choice' if you weigh out hot and uncomfortable vs. Traumatic Brain Injury, but the prudent person would would choose to wear a helmet. I don't hear the angle of our families and if we are injured a lot during these discussions, so I thought I would present that angle.
    No flames from me!
    That is also the gist of my previous reply. A rider's personal choice not to wear a helmet affect the others on the ride (and/or rescue personnel) if they suffer a serious head injury. They possibly put others in danger during a rescue (think of climbing rescues). I never said I would not help an injured helmetless rider, just that I will not be the one to carry them out.

And on that note: If I ever die in a remote/dangerous area, I do not want anyone to risk personal injury to recover my body. Just leave it to wolves and vultures.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Old man on a bike
    It's been a long time since the last time someone on a group ride didn't have a helmet, and they were strongly encouraged to stay back or not expect a lot of help if they rode stupidly. Having no helmet for my first year of mountain biking I'm not a great example but had a great demonstration of the benefits of a helmet the day before I bought one. YMMV. I'd rather go home rather than ride without one...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Uncomfortable helmets??? There are hundreds of helmets out there and I am sure if you look hard enough you will find one that fits your noggin just fine...Uncomfortable is having brain damage and you have to be taken care of by your family for the rest of your life..Once again, this guy needs a helmet----->
    What are you doing reading this? Go out and RIDE!

Jan 2009
    I have a question; what is the difference between a road helmet and a MTB helmet?

I think I have a road one, it's called a Slant or sometnihing I think? by Bell. I paid around $50 for it, and I can't even tell I'm wearin it sometimes. In fact, one time I had totally forgotten I was wearing it, and met a woman for lunch.

nuj
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i think they made those things for a reason :-)

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    On my morning dog run up our rail trail? Nope, no helmet. Any actual trail riding, helemt, without a doubt.

Our local MTB park has a helmet rule, and every now and then, someone pulls up without a helmt, or the intention of using one. They are offered helmets by many surrounding riders, if they decline, they are asked to leave. No "authority" on the lot, but self policing at it's finest. One hurt or dead rider, who can't follow the rules, messes it up for the rest of us. Same concept elsewhere as far as I'm concerned.

The uncomfortable and hot argument died with the demise of the Bell V1 Pro, didn't it? Modern stuff is actually cooler than not wearing one, due to better air channelling, and like many others said, try a few brands, they all fit differently, as heads aren't all the same shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    I wish I would have listened to that advice when I was 16. Way too many punk and hardcore shows with no earplugs. My eardrums bled after one. Now I can't hear high pitched noises well and I can't pick sounds out when there is a lot of background noise.

Yeah you wouldn't believe how many people a day come into our office with noise induced hearing loss that is permanent. You can get hearing aids to help specifically your type of hearing loss though. I am an audiology graduate student. Look up some audiologists in your area and go see one for an evaluation and demo a set of hearing aids. I am guessing you are missing out on a lot more in daily conversations than you realize.

Go to an audiologist though, not a hearing aid dealer.

If the person is an audiologist they will have either CCC-A or F-AAA after their names.
    It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."

Sir Hurt Locker
    I encourage riders not to wear helmets, the trails around here are getting crowded

But seriously, anyone who doesn't wear a helmet is not very smart. Even if it is a little uncomfortable to you, I would assume your life is worth a little discomfort. The biggest worry for me would be getting brain damage and burdening my loved ones with the task of taking care of me for the rest of my life. I wear my helmet proudly.

Why I wear my helmet:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/always-wear-you-helmet-nasty-picture-111566.html

Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNickels
    Yeah you wouldn't believe how many people a day come into our office with noise induced hearing loss that is permanent. You can get hearing aids to help specifically your type of hearing loss though. I am an audiology graduate student. Look up some audiologists in your area and go see one for an evaluation and demo a set of hearing aids. I am guessing you are missing out on a lot more in daily conversations than you realize.

Go to an audiologist though, not a hearing aid dealer.

If the person is an audiologist they will have either CCC-A or F-AAA after their names.
    I did have a hearing evaluation by a GP when I was a medic in a factory. I know it wasn't a complete evaluation, but it didn't indicate a severe loss. Being a soundproof chamber I can hear pretty well, but like I said, that all changes when there's background noise.

I'm planning on seeing an audiologist when my medic class is finished in May. As a firefighter / paramedic I need all my senses to be in the best shape, or I could miss something.

I have a question; what is the difference between a road helmet and a MTB helmet?
    Answer: A visor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Bang on....

Quote Originally Posted by r-johnson88
    How about this, have your buddy punch you in the head with it on, then again with it off.

You'll get the point, stupid and pointless post.

Nicely said. Don't be an idiot and ride without one. If you find your helmet uncomfortable then you have the wrong one. A good helmet you won't even feel. I personally like the Giro Atmos(road) for both XC and road. Anybody I see without one I don't even consider a rider.

Members who have read this thread: 0