Helmets?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmets?

mtbr member

Helmets?

I believe in Helmets. I learned quickly how important they are when I raced BMX. But right now I can't find my mountain bike helmet. I have a BMX helmet that looks like a dirtbike helmet.

What are some good brands of helmets for mountain biking? Or what to look for in a helmet. Is there a Snell rating for mountain bike helmets. And ventilation and stuff like that.

When I do crash I learned how to stay on my feet from Dirt Jumping (Freestyle BMX). So I'm not too worried wacking my head. But you never know. What about Department store helmets?

Appreciate the help

Riding a Rig.
    I really like my Giro Havoc helmet... It fits better than any other helmet I've ever had... I've forgoten I had it on a few times. Its also nice and cheap. I picked up an 03 for about 30.00 a while back.

I live to bike

So do I

Helmets are a necessity for mountain biking! Good brands to check out are Giro, Louis Garneau, SIXSIXONE, and many others, not to forget Bell. There is a rating system, though I'm not sure what it is, something like CPSC. All helmets must pass government safety standards, so in that respect, department store helmets will successfully protect your noggin, but they won't be nearly as comfortable or well-ventilated, ie, a Bell from Walmart won't fit nearly so nice as a Bell from your lbs. Check out the Bell X-Ray, many large vents and very comfortable, though a little pricey at $100 retail

mtbr member
    Well what I would look for is the "Snell" Rating. The snell rating came after a man's wife was killed in a motorcyle accident and felt part of the reason was a bad helmet. I think he was an owner of a helmet company or some kind of company. But he got inspired like the owner of Volvo did for 3point seat belts after his wife smashed her face in a car accident. But he puts the helmets through all kinds of tests. A Snell 95 (It's different now because time has moved on since I noticed this) rating meant it was intended or approved for Motorcycles. Such as Dirtbikes, Crotch Rockets and Harleys.

I know for BMX bike helmets were rated Snell 94 approved. Meaning it's good for bikes but not for motorcycles. But it goes through hard tests. A lot harder than a D.O.T. approved helmet. (Which if you have a tupperware bowl your approved) I remember one such test was dropping a pointed heavy cone from 10feet directly onto the helmet.

Right now I'm looking into a cheap but decent helmet. I would argue that my Hard Head should be good enough to protect what few marbles I have rolling around in there. But sometimes you can't be too safe on some things. Especially since Trees and I spend some quality time together a lot.

Appreciate the help. I'll look into these helmets. And if you happen to be walking around Wal-mart and see a helmet that looks decent. Let me know.

And oh yeah. About that Giro for $30. Where did you get it from. A local bikeshop?

The Bell X-ray. Well for $100 it better do half the peddeling. But I'll look into some others

Thanks

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    About the cheap prices on helmets...
    I would firstly go into a LBS and try some on, not all brands fit the same. Altohugh bell owns Giro, they fit totally different!
    Once you have tried some on, but aren't happy with the pricing. The just shop around till you come accross a bargain that you know will fit you.
    Lots of online places.
    www.jensonusa.com
    www.supergo.com
    www.nashbar.com
    www.cambriabike.com
    www.performancebike.com
    www.pricepoint.com
    etc, etc, etc.....

MTB Rider

Avernir ...

Discount supplier Avernir has a decent helmet for $35 that compares favorably to the $90 Bell a bought 3 years ago. It has decent ventilation and an excellent fitting system as well as a built in sweat band.

Apr 2004
    I think I saw some Giros on sale at nashbar. Check them out.

I have a giro.. love giro. I got mine on sale it was like $110 regular but I got it for $75 like hmm 6 mons ago.

Riding a Rig.
    I got it from jenson like 4 months ago.. it was an 03 and was on clearance.

mtbr member
    Another issue with helmets to look out for is weight. I had to buy a helmet at Wal Mart (camping trip 3 hrs from home, forgot my helmet) and the thing weighs at least double my Giro Encinal, which I think retails for about $40, though I got mine on sale for $25 or so at REI. The weight difference was very noticable in my neck. And it has itty bitty vents, so it was quite hot. And I think it cost about $20, so the lighter weight, IMO, is well worth an extra $10-20.

Too old to know better
    ...About the cheap prices on helmets...
    I would firstly go into a LBS and try some on, not all brands fit the same. Altohugh bell owns Giro, they fit totally different!
    Once you have tried some on, but aren't happy with the pricing. The just shop around till you come accross a bargain that you know will fit you...

Yeah, young rider... and before you know it there won't be any LBS's for you to window shop in. Sure, shop on the 'net when low price is the only consideration; but where service is an issue you can't beat your LBS! Ask anybody who's paying attention, and they'll tell you that there's a big difference between price and value... don't come limping into my bike shop asking me to swap out the three year old $100 helmet you bought for $10.99 on-line because you decided flourescent lime green's not your color after all!
    Add life to your years!