Helmets... $45 vs $120- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Helmets... $45 vs $120

Besides "cool" designs and more vent holes, are there any differences between a $45 helmet and a $120 helmet?
    I do mainly XC right now. What helmets do you suggest for me and my GF? (she likes "girly" looking stuff)
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Light weight but ful face!

I had a low speed but bad crash. I was wearing a generic half shell type helmet. It did protect my skull but my face took a real hit. I had a subarchnoid hemorrhage (brain bleeding) but the neurosurgeon thought I lucky it was not worse. I landed on my right forehead area damaging that region of the helmet. I felt stupid since I have a nice full face helmet. They are hot to wear but I will never make the mistake of riding with a half shell helmet again. I believe I would have sustained less head inury with my fullface. I think the brand is Azonic.

LCI #1853
    All helmets sold in the U.S. have to meet the same standards -- the CPSC, or Consumer Product Safety Commission's test for crush protection. Other standards you will encounter include the Snell and ANSI, but you can't sell new helmets here unless they meet the CPSC code. So. protection-wise, there isn't a whole lot of difference between that $6.95 helmet from "Helmets R Us", the $14.95 model from Wal*Mart, or that spiffy $200+ Giro Ionos. What you're mostly paying for in the higher-end helmets is comfort, more ventilation (means less foam and more internal braccing), and style.

See http://www.bhsi.org.
    Ride a mountain bike... you will not regret it if you live.
    (with apologies to Mark Twain & The Taming of the Bicycle)

mtbr member
    Everything I've read says that you do not gain more protection by spending more. Features, looks, maybe. As long as the helmet fits correctly and is worn correctly, you're good.

The fit should be just sort of snug - comfortably close, with minimal wobble. Most helmets come in two sizes and then are fine tuned with adjustments and pads The strap should be adjusted snug enough to just allow two fingers under your chin. And wear it level on your head, not pushed back.

A good bike shop will have someone to help with selection and fit.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KenPCPilot
    I had a low speed but bad crash. I was wearing a generic half shell type helmet. It did protect my skull but my face took a real hit. I had a subarchnoid hemorrhage (brain bleeding) but the neurosurgeon thought I lucky it was not worse. I landed on my right forehead area damaging that region of the helmet. I felt stupid since I have a nice full face helmet. They are hot to wear but I will never make the mistake of riding with a half shell helmet again. I believe I would have sustained less head inury with my fullface. I think the brand is Azonic.
    Sorry to hear of your spill (one of many I am sure if you ride a lot). I will have to do some research before suffering heat stroke in a full face helmet on an all day XC ride. I understand your caution and will take it into consideration weighing pros and cons.
    Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

What PscylePath said...

and you'll find other subtle differences as well. Higher end helmets will usually have an "inmolded" outer shell vs. the old adhesive and tape attacthment of the shell to the foam core. The inmold system is more durable. Other improvements are, usually more sizes are availalbe on "better" helmets, better more comfortable retentions systems, softer finishes on the retentions straps, etc. Basically things that improve the durability and comfort of the helmet. And comfort is a biggy on an all day ride believe me. But basically that $14.95 Wally World helmet will perform the same as a $200 helmet in an impact.

As for a "girly" helmet, Trek, Specialized, Giro, Bell, and others offer helmet models that come in colors that would likely appeal to your Girl Friend. Mostly it is a color thing more than a specific design, pastels in pink, green, powder blue, etc. But more importantly make sure of the fit as Gasp4air noted. A helmet that doesn't fit right doesn't protect properly.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air
    Everything I've read says that you do not gain more protection by spending more. Features, looks, maybe. As long as the helmet fits correctly and is worn correctly, you're good.

The fit should be just sort of snug - comfortably close, with minimal wobble. Most helmets come in two sizes and then are fine tuned with adjustments and pads The strap should be adjusted snug enough to just allow two fingers under your chin. And wear it level on your head, not pushed back.

A good bike shop will have someone to help with selection and fit.
    Thanks Gasp, The info is helpful.
    Do you (or anyone) have reference to research on helmet safety $45 vs $120?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PscyclePath
    All helmets sold in the U.S. have to meet the same standards -- the CPSC, or Consumer Product Safety Commission's test for crush protection. Other standards you will encounter include the Snell and ANSI, but you can't sell new helmets here unless they meet the CPSC code. So. protection-wise, there isn't a whole lot of difference between that $6.95 helmet from "Helmets R Us", the $14.95 model from Wal*Mart, or that spiffy $200+ Giro Ionos. What you're mostly paying for in the higher-end helmets is comfort, more ventilation (means less foam and more internal braccing), and style.

See http://www.bhsi.org.
    Thanks Path!! The link will be helpful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    and you'll find other subtle differences as well. Higher end helmets will usually have an "inmolded" outer shell vs. the old adhesive and tape attacthment of the shell to the foam core. The inmold system is more durable. Other improvements are, usually more sizes are availalbe on "better" helmets, better more comfortable retentions systems, softer finishes on the retentions straps, etc. Basically things that improve the durability and comfort of the helmet. And comfort is a biggy on an all day ride believe me. But basically that $14.95 Wally World helmet will perform the same as a $200 helmet in an impact.

As for a "girly" helmet, Trek, Specialized, Giro, Bell, and others offer helmet models that come in colors that would likely appeal to your Girl Friend. Mostly it is a color thing more than a specific design, pastels in pink, green, powder blue, etc. But more importantly make sure of the fit as Gasp4air noted. A helmet that doesn't fit right doesn't protect properly.

Good Dirt
    Squash.... thanks for the info. My GF will thank you I am sure... She is very picky to colors matching...I am sure at some point she will be picking out a bike to match a certain outfit. Right now she is picking out helmets and jerseys to match her bike....

Lurker
    Road safety is an important component and basic precaution needs to be undertaken. Once when I was riding my bicycle at great speed, I developed speed wobble and was thrown, rolling several times and sliding several metres, towards a busy intersection. I was lucky enough not to enter the flow of traffic thanks only to friction. As bicycles do not come with safety airbags, I now carry an inflatable raft and pump with me at all times. A lot of people choose not to ride a bicycle because they are too embarrassed to wear a crash helmet but by painting the helmet light brown, it can easily be disguised as a large mushroom.
    Where the Sidewalk Ends
    "Its not a hobby its a way of life."

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by firstcut
    Road safety is an important component and basic precaution needs to be undertaken. Once when I was riding my bicycle at great speed, I developed speed wobble and was thrown, rolling several times and sliding several metres, towards a busy intersection. I was lucky enough not to enter the flow of traffic thanks only to friction. As bicycles do not come with safety airbags, I now carry an inflatable raft and pump with me at all times. A lot of people choose not to ride a bicycle because they are too embarrassed to wear a crash helmet but by painting the helmet light brown, it can easily be disguised as a large mushroom.
    I hear the mushroom look is hot in Paris.....
    Thanks

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    Alot of the time jenson has $100 helmets for $50. So you might as well get it.

Members who have read this thread: 0