Helmets… LBS or Internet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helmets… LBS or Internet

Hi guys,

I am in the search of a nice FF helmet (if such thing exists). And I have come to realize this is might be a rather difficult task. I live in the south of the city (Mexico City), and know most of the bike shops around this area, but none of them carry any FF helmet; and if they do, they have crappy models or they have to order it (so a fit test is almost impossible).

Given the background, here are the questions:

1) Is there any shop in the north area of Mexico City (or surrounding cities) carrying a good assortment of full face helmets in stock so I can make a fit test?

2) Given that no store that I know of has a helmet to fit test (or at least not the ones I like). What do you think of order it on line from an internet dealer?

I found a nice Azonic helmet’s deal for only 60 bucks (MRSP 100) on the internet. I dunno exactly how much it will cost me shipping and taxes, but I don’t expect more than a hundred for those. That’s a grand total of around $160.
    After talking with some LBS, I found out the same helmet will cost me around $200 dollars through them and there’s no chance for a pre-fit test before ordering it. So buying on line seems the way to go.

This takes me to my third question:

3) Some of you have experience buying on line. Any ideas of how much taxes will I have to consider on a 60 buck item (helmet)? And what type of shipment is the most reliable, that’s if I have the chance to choose from?

I know what some of you might be thinking; buying helmet with out a fit test is kinda risky (especially for a full face). But AFAIK, this is probably the only way I could do it, even with a LBS. I managed to get the size charts of the helmets I would like to buy, so it is not a completely blind purchase. Well, that’s what I think, but would like to hear some opinions before pulling the trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

"El Whatever"
    Ordering on-line is not the devil. But, personally, I prefer to pay the extra for being able to try out items that require a fit test... like shoes, gloves, clothing, helmets, etc.

Any word on MX helmets?? They're probably heavier, but protect much better. It worked for Johnny Wadell (australian dude who almost died when he failed a 30' gap in a DH race).

A little secret too... ALL helmets have to pass the same tests of the CPSC to be released to market. Translation, a cheapo one will make the same job as an expensive one. Just get one that fits you well. This is valid for any helmet.
    Check my Site

Bike to the Bone...
    Hi Rito..
    Transvision Satelite had like 6 or 7 yesterday, so I would go there to look and see them. Unfortunately for helmets, fit is very important.

Another thing you can do is email Benotto (they have the Gyro line) and they may bring one so you can try it (if you really think on buying it). I did that with a Gyro Atlas helmet.

As ordering one via internet, I'm not that sure. I ordered about 200 bucks from Speedgoat (2 tires, a handlebar and stem), and payed about 170 pesos for taxes, but I'm not sure if that would apply to helmets.

mtbr member
    My two cents... ordering from Jenson to Mexico is quite expensive, they only use fedex for international deliveries; for a $60 USD order i was charged with about $200 pesos of taxes. I've ordered other things on the internet up to $200 USD and using USPS to Mexico, at the post office I have payed about $100 pesos for that ammount... Yes, regular mail is slower (not really that slower than fedex surface) and maybe you will have to pick it up at the local post office but it can sometimes be cheaper. I have only lost one package to regular mail in about 3-4 years.
    If you are not in a hurry maybe we can arrange something, a helmet is a thing that maybe one of my friends can agree to bring down here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Hi Rito..
    Transvision Satelite had like 6 or 7 yesterday, so I would go there to look and see them. Unfortunately for helmets, fit is very important.

Another thing you can do is email Benotto (they have the Gyro line) and they may bring one so you can try it (if you really think on buying it). I did that with a Gyro Atlas helmet.

As ordering one via internet, I'm not that sure. I ordered about 200 bucks from Speedgoat (2 tires, a handlebar and stem), and payed about 170 pesos for taxes, but I'm not sure if that would apply to helmets.
    Thanks for the tip, i´ll take a look at Bennotto and Transvision.

Do you have the address or/and contact info of Transvision?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, i was expecting way more expensive taxes. good to know. I may join to the group of online buyers.
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arivas
    My two cents... ordering from Jenson to Mexico is quite expensive, they only use fedex for international deliveries; for a $60 USD order i was charged with about $200 pesos of taxes. I've ordered other things on the internet up to $200 USD and using USPS to Mexico, at the post office I have payed about $100 pesos for that ammount... Yes, regular mail is slower (not really that slower than fedex surface) and maybe you will have to pick it up at the local post office but it can sometimes be cheaper. I have only lost one package to regular mail in about 3-4 years.
    If you are not in a hurry maybe we can arrange something, a helmet is a thing that maybe one of my friends can agree to bring down here.
    yup, it can be expensive. However it all depends of the opportunity cost of buying it in Mexico (some items have an insane mark up here in Mexico). I guess it all depends on what, when and where are you buying.

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Ordering on-line is not the devil. But, personally, I prefer to pay the extra for being able to try out items that require a fit test... like shoes, gloves, clothing, helmets, etc.

Any word on MX helmets?? They're probably heavier, but protect much better. It worked for Johnny Wadell (australian dude who almost died when he failed a 30' gap in a DH race).
    I thought about it, however they are on the heavy side and I don´t think I need the extra protection (no 30´gaps/drops for me)

A little secret too... ALL helmets have to pass the same tests of the CPSC to be released to market. Translation, a cheapo one will make the same job as an expensive one. Just get one that fits you well. This is valid for any helmet.
    You are right, all helmets protect the same. I usually buy helmets on the cheaper side. However, the difference in price most time come from weight, ventilation, and brand. In the case of a FF, I am willing to pay the extra bucks for the first two characteristics.

So the first question remains, any other store than Transvision and Bennotto carrying FF helmets in stock? The wider the assortment the better. Probably a FR oriented LBS (I have no knowledge of anyone).

Who knows may be a make the fit test at a LBS and buy it for the internet (if it is economy wise)

moaaar shimz
    I'm also planning on buying a helmet and shin guards, maybe a 661 Full Comp FF helmet and some Fox shin guards, anybody can help me bringing them to Mexico?

I'm not sure now when I'm going to US, things here are getting complicated.

Me hates pinchflat
    Hey ritopc, I know a store near my house called Cycloride. I bought my 661 gloves there at a pretty reasonable price. Ive seen many FF helmets there, although ive not seen which brand they are. They sell Azonic, 661, O'Neal, Troy Lee (all DH/FR oriented stuff), so those may be the brands of the helmets. Ill take a look around if you like.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    Hey ritopc, I know a store near my house called Cycloride. I bought my 661 gloves there at a pretty reasonable price. Ive seen many FF helmets there, although ive not seen which brand they are. They sell Azonic, 661, O'Neal, Troy Lee (all DH/FR oriented stuff), so those may be the brands of the helmets. Ill take a look around if you like.

Do you live near Cycloride?? How are them to service shocks?? I have heard good things about them, but never got actually to their place. AFAIK, that's the place in Mexico for DH/FR.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Thanks for the offering 545, that would be nice.where do you live again? If you could get me the address, or contact for that place i would really appreciate it.

Again, thanks. That's one of the places I should take a look.

Me hates pinchflat
    Do you live near Cycloride?? How are them to service shocks?? I have heard good things about them, but never got actually to their place. AFAIK, that's the place in Mexico for DH/FR.
    Yeah, I live about 8 or 10 min from them. I saw in their store that they charge 200 pesos to service a fork. Is that a good price? They look pretty professional, the workshop is behind the stand, so you can see what they are doing.

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by ritopc
    Thanks for the offering 545, that would be nice.where do you live again? If you could get me the address, or contact for that place i would really appreciate it.

Again, thanks. That's one of the places I should take a look.
    I live very close to the Carretera Picacho Ajusco, at about the 6th km (I live 7 km from SNT ). Cylo Ride is around 1km after Scott Riders. The place where the store is located is not very visible. It is in front of a store which sells and rents dirt bikes.
    The webpage is something like cyclo-ride.com.mx, I dont really remember. I tried www.cycloride.com.mx, but apparently it is blocked in my school, I dont know why.
    If you want me to check their helmets out I can do it today or tomorrow (im going to Scott Riders anyway)

EDIT: Im thinking in buying FF too. However, it would stay unused untill I manage to buy my bike. The Azonic Fury looks reaaaaly good (only 49 bucks in blueskycycling.com)
    Last edited by 545cu4ch; 03-28-2006 at 08:04 AM.

"El Whatever"
    Yeah, I live about 8 or 10 min from them. I saw in their store that they charge 200 pesos to service a fork. Is that a good price? They look pretty professional, the workshop is behind the stand, so you can see what they are doing.
    Seems a fair price... they save you the trouble of doing it yourself, getting the right oil, getting the right tools, etc.

OTOH... I still have my doubts that any given shop will tune my suspension to my exact desires. It could be, why not?

But I'd take the risk of making it myself. Get to know the internals, clean everything perfect, put the exact amounts of oil I want (critical for any Zoke or open bath fork), etc. There's the risk of screweing it up, of course. Especially the first time. Isn't it Tigerdog??

Do they have more Trail/XC stuff??
    Check my Site

Bike to the Bone...
    EDIT: Im thinking in buying FF too. However, it would stay unused untill I manage to buy my bike. The Azonic Fury looks reaaaaly good (only 49 bucks in blueskycycling.com)
    If you're going to wait for a new bike to use the FF, I suggest to wait for your bike and then buy the helmet. Maybe go searching for a value bargain meanwhile....

Now with 3 more inches!
    But I'd take the risk of making it myself. Get to know the internals, clean everything perfect, put the exact amounts of oil I want (critical for any Zoke or open bath fork), etc. There's the risk of screweing it up, of course. Especially the first time. Isn't it Tigerdog??
    Yes, the first time it can be tricky getting the correct ratios of tequila, triple sec and lime.

mtbr member
    I live very close to the Carretera Picacho Ajusco, at about the 6th km (I live 7 km from SNT ). Cylo Ride is around 1km after Scott Riders. The place where the store is located is not very visible. It is in front of a store which sells and rents dirt bikes.
    The webpage is something like cyclo-ride.com.mx, I dont really remember. I tried www.cycloride.com.mx, but apparently it is blocked in my school, I dont know why.
    If you want me to check their helmets out I can do it today or tomorrow (im going to Scott Riders anyway)
    If you have a chance, I would appreciate. Please bring a report on models and brands on stock. Of course, only if you have the chance. Thanks.

Ok, I know where the dirt bikes are. At right side of the street passing the big turn after scott-riders. Is cycloride in front of the dirt bikes, crossing the street (that is on the left side), or just beside the dirt bikes?

If you like the Fury, take a look at the t-55 at Jenson. It’s 59 bucks and a much better helmet. The fury is Azonic´s base model and is marketed to the masses, that’s why there are so many ads of it. I think it will be a best seller. But if you have the chance, get the t-55, only 10 more bucks (same shipping and probably same taxes).

Me hates pinchflat
    If you have a chance, I would appreciate. Please bring a report on models and brands on stock. Of course, only if you have the chance. Thanks.
    Ok, I will do that. Probably tomorrow. Ill get their phone number if you want.

Ok, I know where the dirt bikes are. At right side of the street passing the big turn after scott-riders. Is cycloride in front of the dirt bikes, crossing the street (that is on the left side), or just beside the dirt bikes?
    It is on the left side of the street. It is at higher ground, so thats why it is not very visible. I never noticed it when it was open, only when it was closed since the "malla" says "Cyclo Ride" in big letters.

If you like the Fury, take a look at the t-55 at Jenson. It’s 59 bucks and a much better helmet. The fury is Azonic´s base model and is marketed to the masses, that’s why there are so many ads of it. I think it will be a best seller. But if you have the chance, get the t-55, only 10 more bucks (same shipping and probably same taxes).
    Thanks, I will look into it. However, I think I will do as rzozaya adviced, since I would not be using the helmet in a while and I rather use that money to actually buy the bike. I think Ill buy some shin guards for now, I can use those anyway. Which ones would you recommend?

moaaar shimz
    A new thread has been opened to discuss about shin/knee/elbow guards

mtbr member
    Ok, I will do that. Probably tomorrow. Ill get their phone number if you want.
    Thanks 545, that would be nice. Really appreciate it.

Me hates pinchflat
    Thanks 545, that would be nice. Really appreciate it.
    Sorry ritopc, I wasnt able to go today. However, Im a 99% sure I will go tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sorry ritopc, I wasnt able to go today. However, Im a 99% sure I will go tomorrow.
    Don´t worry too much, i am planning to go this saturday to take a look.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the helping and the offering. I am in debt with you.

Cheers, and cya soon in SNT... the count down started already.

moaaar shimz
    You're going this saturday to SNT?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    You're going this saturday to SNT?
    Just to Cycloride to see what they have. Not feeling like riding yet.

Me hates pinchflat
    Just to Cycloride to see what they have. Not feeling like riding yet.
    Damn....I went today at 5:30 and they were closed . I guess they close at 5 or something. Sorry again

Members who have read this thread: 0