Helmetcams....- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmetcams....

paparazzi tee

Helmetcams....

my sportzshot just crapped out,
    looking to get a replacement....
    something with the new sony ex-view chip (like viosport 3)...
    any suggestions/feedback???
    thanks
    theo
    alloutproductions

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alloutprodux
    thanks
    theo
    alloutproductions
    i use the viosport 3 cam...worth every penny. its amazing in low light conditions---makes it look like day. 3.6mm lense is nice and wide(i already orderd a wider lens though)...and quality of the build is very high...be sure to buy the cam with the kit if you dont already have a reachargable battery pack or a LANC remote(a must have).

paparazzi tee
    hey jako,
    thanks for the info....
    yeah, that's definately looking like the top contender....!
    you think the rechargeable pack is worth the extrav$$??
    i was just thinking of scrooging it and getting rechargeable AA's at radioshack....
    lemme know how the wider lens works out for you,
    i was wondering if it'd make the front rider too far away
    if you're not all up on his ass.......
    right on,
    theo

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako
    i use the viosport 3 cam...worth every penny. its amazing in low light conditions---makes it look like day. 3.6mm lense is nice and wide(i already orderd a wider lens though)...and quality of the build is very high...be sure to buy the cam with the kit if you dont already have a reachargable battery pack or a LANC remote(a must have).

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by alloutprodux

Use a camcorder instead of a lipstick/tube cam. Much better video quality.

paparazzi tee
    yeah, that's been a lil debate as well...
    i'm just a lil hesitant 'cause it'd mean buying a whole nother camera
    (my trv-900 i'm using as a lipstick recording deck is too heavy and it's a 3-chip that
    i don't want to risk getting KO'd....)........
    thor wixom was suggesting using something small like the sony ip-55, and putting
    a baby-deathlens on it....after seeing his helmetcam footy of Vic Marlow in Statement
    i can see why he likes it! only thing is the price of the cam(??$$) + a babydeath (@ $350) = big loots.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete

Mar 2004

the viosport 3 cam has better quality then a lot camcorders on the market and has 520 lines of horizontal resolution...just because its a lipstick cam, doesn’t mean it has sucky quality...the only differance is that you need to use a remote recorder...lots of advantages to it, sepecialy if its mounted to your head . and, yeah, the reachargable pack is worth getting and dont forget to get the LANC remote----i think its must have if your using a LANC camcorder, so you dont have to reach into your pack to stop/start recording.

Dec 2003
    the viosport 3 cam has better quality then a lot camcorders on the market and has 520 lines of horizontal resolution...just because its a lipstick cam, doesn’t mean it has sucky quality...
    The video quality from a decent camcorder is still superior. Sorry.

Mar 2004
    The video quality from a decent camcorder is still superior. Sorry.
    uhhhhh, no...maybe a "decent camcorder" for you is has 3 chips--then your sorta right, yes, it will have better quality, but, there are also 3 chip lipstick cams. If a "decent camcorder" is a mid range ($500-$1100) single chip camera, then your wrong...the quality is either equal or better. like I said...a lipstick cam is the same thing, except, it uses a remote recorder.

Dec 2003
    uhhhhh, no...maybe a "decent camcorder" for you is has 3 chips--then your sorta right, yes, it will have better quality, but, there are also 3 chip lipstick cams.
    No, I'm referring to single chip camcorders.

If a "decent camcorder" is a mid range ($500-$1100) single chip camera, then your wrong...the quality is either equal or better. like I said...a lipstick cam is the same thing, except, it uses a remote recorder.

Please explain how the optics of a lipstick cam compare, quality-wise, to the larger optics on a camcorder.

Please explain how a fixed focal length lens, as found on a lipstick cam, compares to a lens with an adjustable focal length.

Please explain how a chip that was developed for the surveilance market (bias toward infrared, hence the low, low lux) compares to chips that were developed for the consumer market (EX View vs. Super HAD).

Please explain how a lipstick camera that lacks image stabilization can provide better quality video than a camcorder that incorporates image stabilization.

No, a lipstick cam is not the same thing as a camcorder.

What kind of experience do you have with copmaring tube cams vs. camcorders anyway?

paparazzi tee
    hey thanks you guys for the info,
    dont mean to stoke the fire of this feud,
    but i have to side with pete on this one too..
    however, the benefits of a lipstick can outweigh the optics etc of a camcorder
    when you take into consideration the price, risk of damage, and ease of convincability...
    i mean, convincing your boy to huck that 30- footer with a 5-lb. helmetcamcorder setup
    can be a lil iffy sometimes....

Members who have read this thread: 0