Helmetcam and camera setup under $600?- Mtbr.com

May 2004

Helmetcam and camera setup under $600?

is there a decent helmet camera setup under $600???

i am looking at the samsung one, but are there better options? mabye one with mini dv?

thanks,
    JJ

I like air!
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB

i am looking at the samsung one, but are there better options? mabye one with mini dv?

thanks,
    JJ
    Just an FYI - When you use the remote camera on the Samsung camera the advertised resolution drops to about half of what it would be using the camera itself. I found that out when I was researching that one.

FM
    mtbr member
    I don't know what spec sheets you were looking at but i own a samsung and the helmet cam footage actually looks better than the footage shot with the internal lens. The helmet camera focuses better. I'm pretty happy with it- I've posted reviews if you want to search for them. Or just DL som videos from the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by milhouse
    Just an FYI - When you use the remote camera on the Samsung camera the advertised resolution drops to about half of what it would be using the camera itself. I found that out when I was researching that one.

I like air!
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I don't know what spec sheets you were looking at but i own a samsung and the helmet cam footage actually looks better than the footage shot with the internal lens. The helmet camera focuses better. I'm pretty happy with it- I've posted reviews if you want to search for them. Or just DL som videos from the link below.
    Ive seen your videos befor and they are great. I will look for where I got that info from and get back. It was from a thread I started about the same subject.

I like air!
    This is where I got my info from:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1845911,00.asp
    and check out this thread:
    http://hcor.net/postlite23633-video&...56d211565cb7b1

Aug 2004
    Why???

I like air!
    Hey FM,
    I have a question. The videos you posted like the Whistler one, are they posted at full resolution or did you scale hem down. If so how much did you scale them down by?

Mar 2004

thanks,
    JJ
    I use this....Viosport

saw first hand what the samsung dishes out and IMO, it looked like crap.

N* Bomber Crew
    Hey JBSoxB,

I am highly experienced with video cameras, but I am a little new to the helmet camera area. I am purchasing one of my own in the next month or so.

With a 600 dollar budget, one thing you will want to concentrate is on buying a cheap MiniDV handheld camcorder. This is the recording device that all the helmet cam's require. I run a very high model Sony, but it is too compatible with helmet cameras. The Sony HC-21 is around 300 dollars and will be a good solution. The unit itself will only capture a restricted resolution number, so the quality of the actual unti will be slightly impared. The HC-32 (400-500) will be your best bet if you want to use your actual camcorder as well, but is less quality.

The best solution for under 600 dollars is the HC-21 paired with a Viosport Adventure Cam 2. With all the equipment you will have to buy with your camcorder, and Adventure Cam you will stay below 600 hopefully. (300 for cam, 200 for helmet cam=500 + ~100 tapes, batteries etc.) The resolution range will be paried with both cameras. You may want to invest in a steel case for your recording unit to protect it.

I would stay away from the Samsung, its a gimmick. It seems like a apropriate camera, but its all flash and less quality. It uses flash memory instead of tapes, so you will have less recording time, worse quality, and it'll be expensive. MiniDV is the way to go.

If you need help, ask me. Also...remember that it IS a helmet camera. Don't spend a fortune on it. Although they're tough and designed for abuse, that doesn't mean they won't break. Don't spend an arm and a leg on something that is exposed to lots of potential danger.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

FM
    mtbr member
    Thanks man, glad you enjoyed them. They are compressed by quite a bit- most of the videos were 1-2gb, after compression they are 40-70mb. So thats like %85! The quality does suffer... but playing around with different codecs, the newer mp4 files look %75 as good to me as the originals, at least on the computer screen.

The other night we watched a DVD of my helmet cam movies on my freinds big HDTV flatscreen. That was fun!

Masterjako... thats kind of a blanket statement dude, so I gotta call BS on you. The samsung video you saw, what was the camera set to: highest-quality/shortest recording-time, lowest quality/longest recording-time, or? How about the shutter speed settings? There are a lot of settings you can use, and if you choose full quality it's pretty good. Thats what I use and I get 45+ minutes onto a 1gb internal card. you can get 2gb cards now for under $100. And, no moving parts... I have a buddy with an actionsports cam, his camera died before he got a video made. I've endo'ed directly onto mine as you can see from the videos, and it's still working like new.

Quote Originally Posted by milhouse
    Hey FM,
    I have a question. The videos you posted like the Whistler one, are they posted at full resolution or did you scale hem down. If so how much did you scale them down by?

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Why???
    because i'm going on a skiing trip and want to get footage from that, AND it would be fun to make a train on the dj's AND fun in the park to mount it on my fork and go in the over vert bowls...... GOOD ENOUGH???

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Hey JBSoxB,

I am highly experienced with video cameras, but I am a little new to the helmet camera area. I am purchasing one of my own in the next month or so.

With a 600 dollar budget, one thing you will want to concentrate is on buying a cheap MiniDV handheld camcorder. This is the recording device that all the helmet cam's require. I run a very high model Sony, but it is too compatible with helmet cameras. The Sony HC-21 is around 300 dollars and will be a good solution. The unit itself will only capture a restricted resolution number, so the quality of the actual unti will be slightly impared. The HC-32 (400-500) will be your best bet if you want to use your actual camcorder as well, but is less quality.

The best solution for under 600 dollars is the HC-21 paired with a Viosport Adventure Cam 2. With all the equipment you will have to buy with your camcorder, and Adventure Cam you will stay below 600 hopefully. (300 for cam, 200 for helmet cam=500 + ~100 tapes, batteries etc.) The resolution range will be paried with both cameras. You may want to invest in a steel case for your recording unit to protect it.

I would stay away from the Samsung, its a gimmick. It seems like a apropriate camera, but its all flash and less quality. It uses flash memory instead of tapes, so you will have less recording time, worse quality, and it'll be expensive. MiniDV is the way to go.

If you need help, ask me. Also...remember that it IS a helmet camera. Don't spend a fortune on it. Although they're tough and designed for abuse, that doesn't mean they won't break. Don't spend an arm and a leg on something that is exposed to lots of potential danger.

what he said ....Adventure Cam and a cheap minidv cam will be perfect for you...

or just get one of these. Sony DCR-VX2100

May 2004
    ok, then if i go for a helmet camera and a camcorder seperatly, is there a camcorder that i can hook directly to my computer so i can make the file a dv avi????

thanks, btw.

I like air!
    ok, then if i go for a helmet camera and a camcorder seperatly, is there a camcorder that i can hook directly to my computer so i can make the file a dv avi????

thanks, btw.
    Look for ones with Firewire hook-ups assuming your computer has Firewire. I know some of the Sony ones you have to have the docking station to hook up the camera to your PC. I think you can also buy just DV recorders without the camera built in if you only plan on using it with a remote lens although I haven’t had a chance to research whether or not they are cheaper then buying the whole camera. It’s too bad the Samsung model doesn’t have better color saturation otherwise that would be the best solution since it uses memory instead of having to deal with tapes plus it’s really small. I was kind of keeping my fingers crossed thinking that their might be other memory card camcorders out this season but a lot of them are using micro drives which I'm not to sure would hold up to the abuse of downhilling. Let us know how you make out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got a VioSport SCOUT cam and a Sony DCR-HC32 Mini-DV camera. My only complaint about the SCOUT cam is that it fogs up ocassionally--just make sure you check it every now and then when moving from hot to cold (like in your car to outside). My only complaint about the Sony camera is that to hook up the SCOUT cam/lens, the connector comes into the side of the Sony making it prone to being snapped off if you land on it. I made a custom foam shell to put around it and it seems to work pretty good so far. Overall, the combination works pretty good. Also, you'll need lots of disk space to store/edit your movies and maybe a firewire card and editing software so it's gonna cost more than $600 if you go this route. And you'll likely want extra camera batteries and probably some rechargeable AA's to power the helmet cam. I coughed up around $1200 all together--yikes.

May 2005
    cheap and (somewhat) functional solution:

1: Small dv camcorder

2: Helmet

3: Ducktape

May 2004
    i've been using my friend's hc323 and i know how to hook it up and have enough hard drive space..... i'm just thinnking if i should get the same or some thing a bit better???? like some cannon????i'm lost.. something around $400 and then i'll save money for the viosport 3 cam.

N* Bomber Crew

thanks, btw.
    When you import your video onto the computer it is directly imported and formatted to AVI.

May 2004
    how would these be for use with a viosport cam??? and uploading onto my comp via usb and firewire???

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

this would work fine right????

hc 32 or 42????

small!

ok, thanks for looking..... how would all these work with helmet cams???? and making avi's on my comp?

thanks a lot,
    JJ

Aug 2004
    because i'm going on a skiing trip and want to get footage from that, AND it would be fun to make a train on the dj's AND fun in the park to mount it on my fork and go in the over vert bowls...... GOOD ENOUGH???
    Shouldent you be spending it on someting like a new nemisis or something?

Mar 2004

thanks, btw.
    most DV camcorders have a firewire port to connect to the computer for capture. if you dont have firewire ports on your computer, u can buy a firewire card(PCI) at bestbuy/comp USA or w/e they sell hardware.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Shouldent you be spending it on someting like a new nemisis or something?
    lol...nah...as long as you have willing parents, you can buy w/e you want ...

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako
    most DV camcorders have a firewire port to connect to the computer for capture. if you dont have firewire ports on your computer, u can buy a firewire card(PCI) at bestbuy/comp USA or w/e they sell hardware.
    i am using a friends sony right now dcr hc 32... i can hook that up to my comp.... i'm just thinking of the camera.... i am thinking a canon optura 400 right now..... otherwise a sony dcr hc 42....

N* Bomber Crew
    i am using a friends sony right now dcr hc 32... i can hook that up to my comp.... i'm just thinking of the camera.... i am thinking a canon optura 400 right now..... otherwise a sony dcr hc 42....
    Don't spend 500 dollars on a Camcorder if you are going to soley use it as a recording device. Get a cheaper one and get a better helmet camera. Its simply a recording device IF all you use it for is helmet camera riding.

Jan 2005
    i've been using my friend's hc323 and i know how to hook it up and have enough hard drive space..... i'm just thinnking if i should get the same or some thing a bit better???? like some cannon????i'm lost.. something around $400 and then i'll save money for the viosport 3 cam.
    JJ (hey that's my name too) lol,
    Just to let you know....I've got a Canon ZR-85 (MiniDV) I think it was about $400 and it's a decent camera except the low light video is terrible. Once the sun goes down the video gets shady. And in sports mode the video gets "choppy" and "grainy" as hell in anything less than perfect light.
    I'm in the market for a helmet cam also but honestly I'm not even sure it has an Aux input. My buddy has a Panasonic (same price range) and his takes pretty good video in most conditions. I think the Sony's work pretty well also. Just FYI bro.

Jan 2005

P.S. Check Circuit City....my cam came with Pinnacle Studio 9 editing software. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet cause I haven't gotten a firewire and port yet.

Unshaven Yak
    So I'm trying to take all this in as well. Stay away from the HC21 if you want to use a viosport type helmet cam 'cause there's no vid input but the HC32 does have one....correct?

mtbr member
    May 2004

helmet cam

thanks,
    JJ
    check out this link. I use this cam with canon optura 40. very good quality vids. i am very happy with it.

http://www.viosport.com/index.php
    http://www.cnet.com/
    Drewski

The Beatings will Continue Until Morale Improves

May 2004
    Don't spend 500 dollars on a Camcorder if you are going to soley use it as a recording device. Get a cheaper one and get a better helmet camera. Its simply a recording device IF all you use it for is helmet camera riding.
    no! i'm using tit as a regular cam also....

mtbr member

For sale

here's four vids i did with my set-up http://hellkam.com/downloads.htm

and some other versions here
    http://www.clipdin.com/index.php?ind...on_view&idev=1

my set-up is for sale. lemme know if interested. scott

May 2004
    i've decided on a sony dcr hc 42.... then i'll get the viosport when i can afford it along with a battery.

then a few diff lenses for the vio.

then a light.... but i guess i could just ducktape a flashlight.

then a shitload of tapes and another hard drive

i'm set. just deciding whether i want this or a bmx.......hmm....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scottay
    here's four vids i did with my set-up http://hellkam.com/downloads.htm

and some other versions here
    http://www.clipdin.com/index.php?ind...on_view&idev=1

my set-up is for sale. lemme know if interested. scott
    hey,
    what kind of setup do you have? how much do you want?
    thanks
    i'll pm you as well

N* Bomber Crew
    i've decided on a sony dcr hc 42.... then i'll get the viosport when i can afford it along with a battery.

then a few diff lenses for the vio.

then a light.... but i guess i could just ducktape a flashlight.

then a shitload of tapes and another hard drive

i'm set. just deciding whether i want this or a bmx.......hmm....
    I own the Sony DCR-HC 42 and I am very VERY satisfied with my camera. The great thing about the HC-42 is the amount of customizability you can toss onto your camera. I run the following in different situations:

1. UV Filter
    2. Neutral Density Filter
    3. Telescoping 200% (2X) Lens
    4. Wide Angle .6 Lens (Semi-Fish eye)
    5. Extended Battery (400+ Minutes)

It has a wide variety of acessories and is compatible with helmet cameras, you WILL have to use your A/V out cable with female to female RCA adaptors. I reccomend getting a steel/aluminum case. You can take a beating out on the bike.

Its a very good investment and it is extremely easy to get going with editing and having fun with it. The editing software (The good stuff) will run you very expensive. (Sony Vegas is about 300-600 dollars).

If you want to see the potential the HC-42 has (But is certainly not limited to) watch my video: http://nt1.adventuresports.com/event/cmc/gallery.asp
    or: www.rfs.thrillnetwork.net
    Remember that it is formatted in MPEG and not straight off tape. You will get varied qualities when you tool around with the encoding process.

Happy Shooting! If you need help or suggestions ask me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    hey,
    what kind of setup do you have? how much do you want?
    thanks
    i'll pm you as well
    PM sent.....

its a jvc mini dv , gotta find info on the helmet cam.
    Its weatherproof, hi res, low lite, 380 lines resolution, .02 lux, comes in a nice case with all the attachments. cant remember who makes it tho.

less than $500 for the set-up. i have good software too.

scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    What kind of input do you need on the camcorder to use a helmet cam? Is there a specific plug that the helmet cams use?

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by kazlx
    What kind of input do you need on the camcorder to use a helmet cam? Is there a specific plug that the helmet cams use?
    There are two types. A 3.5MM plus I believe which is a simple and easy connection. The other are RCA types (The ones you use normally) Yellow, Red and White. Some camcorders require you to use the specified A/V Out cable (Like Sony).

It depends brand by brand.

May 2004
    There are two types. A 3.5MM plus I believe which is a simple and easy connection. The other are RCA types (The ones you use normally) Yellow, Red and White. Some camcorders require you to use the specified A/V Out cable (Like Sony).

It depends brand by brand.
    will that mean the quality it **** ty like when i hook the av cord up to my comp???

N* Bomber Crew
    will that mean the quality it **** ty like when i hook the av cord up to my comp???
    You do not connect the AV Cord to your computer. You actually TRANSFER the data which you recorded onto your MiniDV tape (OR other media). It gets transfered into AVI form and still uses NTSC format UNTIL you encode it into something smaller (File Size Wise...)

www.rfs.thrillnetwork.net

All those videos there (Except a few shorts) were all shot with my HC-42. There are MANY different formats you can use when you encode it to be posted on the internet, or shared with others. I use Quicktime 6 simply because its good quality, and easy to use (Especially for those new video iPods.)

The HC-42 has a 1MP CCD which is high quality, as well as a very good F-rate (Apeture). The camera can be adjust for almost anything.

May 2004
    You do not connect the AV Cord to your computer. You actually TRANSFER the data which you recorded onto your MiniDV tape (OR other media). It gets transfered into AVI form and still uses NTSC format UNTIL you encode it into something smaller (File Size Wise...)

www.rfs.thrillnetwork.net

All those videos there (Except a few shorts) were all shot with my HC-42. There are MANY different formats you can use when you encode it to be posted on the internet, or shared with others. I use Quicktime 6 simply because its good quality, and easy to use (Especially for those new video iPods.)

The HC-42 has a 1MP CCD which is high quality, as well as a very good F-rate (Apeture). The camera can be adjust for almost anything.
    whenever i connected an av cord to my computer, the quality of the video ws crap.

i'm just wondering if using an av cord on the camera will make the quality on that bad.

thanks,
    JJ

I like air!
    whenever i connected an av cord to my computer, the quality of the video ws crap.

i'm just wondering if using an av cord on the camera will make the quality on that bad.

thanks,
    JJ
    The connection they are talking about is the connection between the external lens and camera. its going to be av wires no matter what. Older cams used av wires that you had to connect to your video card to get the content on your computer. Thats a totally analog connection which is bad to begin with. Your card or video capture software you were using could have made it even worse depending on what you were using. New cameras use Firewire or USB2 which transfers content digitally from the cam to your computer which is much better. But crappy video editing software can still make digital video look bad.

Members who have read this thread: 0