Helmetcam Archos420 (Skullcamz.com)??- Mtbr.com
    COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK

Helmetcam Archos420 (Skullcamz.com)??

Has anyone used this type of set up with the Archos 420 digital recorder?
    http://www.skullcamz.com/Skullcamz_4...1-420-2200.htm

Seems like a pretty good and simple set up, just wondering if anyone has used this type of digital recorder instead of a standard camcorder.

Any info would be helpful.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spacoli
    Has anyone used this type of set up with the Archos 420 digital recorder?
    http://www.skullcamz.com/Skullcamz_4...1-420-2200.htm

Seems like a pretty good and simple set up, just wondering if anyone has used this type of digital recorder instead of a standard camcorder.

Any info would be helpful.

i looked at them when i was getting ready to put a helmet camera setup together but passed on them because they us flash cards and will not hold too much footage. you're better off just finding a cheap mini dv camera on ebay or something. i picked up a canon zr45 for like $200 and it works perfect with my set-up.
    Reign Skate

N* Bomber Crew
    Thats a decent solution if you need a entire camera setup. Buying the actual CAMERA itself and not the unit (Camcorder) will clearly be cheaper (100 to 300). Close to 800 is a little high to pay. You could get a cheaper MiniDV camera for about 200-300, and the Helmet cam for about 300, so 600 would be the max you pay if you were to be smart about it.

Also, MiniDV format will hold a lot more, and the storage is FAR cheaper than flash drive. You can pick up a 6 pack of tapes for about 30 bucks. A 60 minute tape will hold about 12GB of data (Although it doesn't hold data itself, just video), but digitally, its about 12GB. And 12GB for about 3.00 dollars? Try and find a flash card that holds 12GB for 3.00 dollars.

Its not a fair comparisson, but for your application, MiniDV is the only way to go. Taking the patience to import and edit it will be well worth the money savings.

Any more questions, go ahead and ask me.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Feb 2004
    Yeah, I've got one for you:

I've got a MiniDV recorder; where can I pic up a helmet cam for cheap? I'm familiar with VioSport, I'm just looking to see if there's something less expensive out there.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by hbfrdh1
    Yeah, I've got one for you:

I've got a MiniDV recorder; where can I pic up a helmet cam for cheap? I'm familiar with VioSport, I'm just looking to see if there's something less expensive out there.

VioSport Adventure Cam 1 is the cheapest solution I think. It's about $140 dollars and will hopefully be compatible with your model... check website: www.viosport.com

paparazzi tee
    i looked into those things a few months ago,
    & it looks like the archos420 only records mpeg4 video,
    so its a lil bootsy....there are other digital recorders out there tho that
    use mpeg2, so i'd look in that area......

Jun 2004
    When shopping for a camcorder to run with a helmet cam, try to find one that is LANC compatible (a small remote to control the camcorder features). Sony and older canons are your best bet. If not, you'll either have to record everything, or take the camcorder out of your pack everytime you want to stop recording. My LANC controls the on/off, record, pause controls and has a small led that tells if it's recording. If you have any wiring skills at all, wire in a remote on/off switch in between the helmet cam and the batterypack so you can save batteries when your not recording......they tend to go through batterys pretty quick. I have the jonescam helmet cam and have been really happy.
    http://www.jonescam.tv/

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK

mpeg4....mpeg2???????

What does that all mean (mpeg4....mpeg2)? What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by alloutprodux
    i looked into those things a few months ago,
    & it looks like the archos420 only records mpeg4 video,
    so its a lil bootsy....there are other digital recorders out there tho that
    use mpeg2, so i'd look in that area......
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by spacoli
    What does that all mean (mpeg4....mpeg2)? What's the difference?
    Its a difference of compression level. MPEG4 is a newer format which compresses higher quality video more to conserve space. MPEG2 is a digital standard amoung basic compressions that allow higher quality versus MPEG1.

If you run DV, you use AVI...then edit a video or whatnot to various MPEG/QT or burn it on a DVD.

I personally use Quicktime. Its a lot easier, and there are a lot of different compressions you can select.

Overall, MPEG4 is for the space savings, MPEG2 takes up a pretty decent size of memory.

Members who have read this thread: 0