Helmet for XC?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet for XC?

adult onset ADHD

Helmet for XC?

This year I need a new helmet for XC, I have a Giro that is a few years old, I like it but it's time for a new one. I am looking for a good helmet for a good price, hopefully around the $50 point. Suggestions?
    Thanks
    Respect your local Woodland Spirits

WNY Mountain Biking Assoc.

Freshly Fujified

Get another Giro

Quote Originally Posted by Nor'Easter
    This year I need a new helmet for XC, I have a Giro that is a few years old, I like it but it's time for a new one. I am looking for a good helmet for a good price, hopefully around the $50 point. Suggestions?
    Thanks
    All in all, a helmet's a helmet's a helmet. Other than the need for full face helmets for extreme riding conditions, buying a helmet is basically an issue of fit, comfort and style. Some people want the "coolest" helmet out there and opt for something like the Xen. Others, and I'll put myself in this category, balance the need for something that looks appealing to the eye with functionality. I spent the princely sum of $30 on my Giro Encinal. In that all helmets must pass specific safety tests, your money is being spent on things like style, ventilation and the type of materials used in making a helmet.

My suggestion would be to go to your LBS or a big box retailer like Performance, and try on a few Giro helmets to see what fits best, then from there, go by what looks the best to you personally. You should be able to find a nice one for less than $50.00.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

adult onset ADHD
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    All in all, a helmet's a helmet's a helmet. Other than the need for full face helmets for extreme riding conditions, buying a helmet is basically an issue of fit, comfort and style. Some people want the "coolest" helmet out there and opt for something like the Xen. Others, and I'll put myself in this category, balance the need for something that looks appealing to the eye with functionality. I spent the princely sum of $30 on my Giro Encinal. In that all helmets must pass specific safety tests, your money is being spent on things like style, ventilation and the type of materials used in making a helmet.

My suggestion would be to go to your LBS or a big box retailer like Performance, and try on a few Giro helmets to see what fits best, then from there, go by what looks the best to you personally. You should be able to find a nice one for less than $50.00.

Bob
    Unless I plan the riding trip to NC this spring, going to Performance is out of the question as the nearest PB is more that a couple hrs drive. LOL.
    I am thinking of going to the Toronto bicycle show in March maybe the selection would be good there. Most retailers in my part of New York State seem to stock the lower end helmets. I guess I will have to go to the upper end LBS that is a 45 min drive.

just along for the ride
    Jensonusa had last years Bell xray for 50, very nice lid was over 100$ last year, g/l

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    All in all, a helmet's a helmet's a helmet. Bob
    The price will mostly reflect on the retension system, from $30 helmet to a $80 one for example, Giro uses different retension systems which make significant effort. After using their higher end Roc-lok II, it's hard for me to get anything cheaper and less quality than that. I 'll look for close-out item with a high-end retension system instead of buying a cheaper model even the color looks cooler.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2004
    try one on at lbs, buy online.
    looked at REI, bought xray at performance. use qbikedotcom for searching ...

adult onset ADHD
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    Closeouts often stink because it seems they never have my size. I think I need a large. I did find the Bell Ukon FS marked down locally for 29.95 in carbon weave. I would like to buy a bit higher up model but I think I will go that way to get the shopping around over with.
    Thanks for your help.

Freshly Fujified

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by BigBull
    The price will mostly reflect on the retension system, from $30 helmet to a $80 one for example, Giro uses different retension systems which make significant effort. After using their higher end Roc-lok II, it's hard for me to get anything cheaper and less quality than that. I 'll look for close-out item with a high-end retension system instead of buying a cheaper model even the color looks cooler.

I guess my point had more to do with the perception that higher priced helmets automatically provide you with superior protection. That's not always the case. From the standpoint of fit and comfort (which is very important, as we typically wear the helmets for long time periods) the retension system certainly becomes a factor. I would wholeheartedly agree with your advice from this perspective.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor'Easter
    Thanks
    No one here can or should answer this question. Fit and comfort is the most important thing here and <b>you</b> have to try on different helmet to find the best one. Only suggestion i have is to try each brand out giro, bell, specialized, ect... you will know which one fits the best.

Members who have read this thread: 0