Helmet woes...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet woes...

mtbr member

Helmet woes...

Let me start by saying that I have never, ever had trouble finding a helmet that is comfortable. I have always worn Giro helmets. I broke my beloved White E2 several weeks ago and I am having a hell of a time finding a replacement helmet. It seems that most of the helmets I am trying on feel like they are going to saw my ears off (as in the retention system rests on my ears, and hurts like crazy). The only helmet I have tried that isnt terrible is the Bell Variant, but the bike shop only had camo, and I just can't pull the trigger on a camo helmet, its just not my style. Ive tried the Giro Hex (or was it the zen?), Bell Sweep, Fox Flux, etc...

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What about the fox transition?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Haven't bought a new helmet in a few years, but would say if Giro worked for you before, would go with that again. I've found that helmets take a lot of tweaking to the harness to get right. Your comments about your ears and having had an E2 suggest you avoid the skate style helmets now being pushed. The camo? I think the digital gray is kinda cool. More interesting than a solid color.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I used to love E2s---then I found the Bell Volt.

mtbr member
    Lazer O2...it has a unique retention system that I find much more comfortable as there are no pressure points. Check it out.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I love Limar: cheap, fit my head well, and some have neato meshing to keep bees out of the helmet if luck should screw me (I am quite reactive to bees).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatFender
    Let me start by saying that I have never, ever had trouble finding a helmet that is comfortable. I have always worn Giro helmets. I broke my beloved White E2 several weeks ago and I am having a hell of a time finding a replacement helmet. It seems that most of the helmets I am trying on feel like they are going to saw my ears off (as in the retention system rests on my ears, and hurts like crazy). The only helmet I have tried that isnt terrible is the Bell Variant, but the bike shop only had camo, and I just can't pull the trigger on a camo helmet, its just not my style. Ive tried the Giro Hex (or was it the zen?), Bell Sweep, Fox Flux, etc...

Any suggestions?
    I know the feeling. When my old Giro wore out, I thought no problem - try a few helmets and pick one. Not so easy. I went to several bike shops and tried on EVERY helmet. None of them felt good. I finally found one that fit like a glove - A Specialized Decibel, expensive as hell but oh so comfortable. It has huge vents and is carbon reinforced.

Everyone is different though. If you find one that fits well, buy it.

Members who have read this thread: 0