helmet vs handlebars- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

helmet vs handlebars

I am somewhat new here. I'm sure this has been a long standing debate. I really just ride on the road, but I haven't found any great lighting discussions anywhere else.
    My thoughts are that if your handlebar lights are bright enough, you don't need a helmet light.
    Does seem to be a good thing to have for bike repairs in the dark though.
    I tried a cygolite milion 200. It was a little heavy feeling, but the one piece design at least is a clean installation. Less of a geek factor without all those wires.
    I think with my dinotte 1200L no one would need a helmet light to ride.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by bentboy242
    I am somewhat new here. I'm sure this has been a long standing debate. I really just ride on the road, but I haven't found any great lighting discussions anywhere else.
    My thoughts are that if your handlebar lights are bright enough, you don't need a helmet light.
    Does seem to be a good thing to have for bike repairs in the dark though.
    I tried a cygolite milion 200. It was a little heavy feeling, but the one piece design at least is a clean installation. Less of a geek factor without all those wires.
    I think with my dinotte 1200L no one would need a helmet light to ride.
    Francois mentioned that in the NiteRider Pro 600/1200 thread. He says the 1200 is so bright as a handlebar mount that no helmet light is needed with it. I'm sure there are other bright systems such as yours that also wouldn't require it. Lesser power output lighting systems work well in tandem with bar and helmet combos. As far as having something for bike repairs, a small commuter light on the helmet or a flashlight in the pack would probably suffice and be a heck of a lot less $$$$.

BB

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The problem with having only a bar mounted light offroad is that it only shines where the bar is pointing so as you approach a turn (particularly a tight one) you can only see straight ahead and not where you need to go! The conventional wisdom is that if you are only going to have one light put it on your helmet!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Dinotte 1200 is an excellent bar light. It is hard for me to ride many trails without a helmet light though. I have to see the switchback exit before my bike turns. If there is a boulder or trees in the way, it is all black. If I use one light, I always use a helmet light. On fireoad or wide and relatively flat trails (even twisty; but flat) a bar light is fine. When you have twisties and constant elevation changes, I have to have a helmet light.

mtbr member

Helmets vs. bars? It's not either or...

the answer is BOTH!!!!

As noted above, if you have bar mounted lights you can only see where your bar is pointed. Wide beam on the bar and spot light on the helmet. Its hard to beat!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Absolutely! For the trails I ride, I like having both on.

mtbr member
    No matter how bright and wide a beam the bar light is I still would want a helmet light.

Mar 2006
    I've got a mixed use, I get to ride a trail for the first 2 miles of my commute, but then do six miles on the road to work and return the same path.
    For the trail, a bar mount shows the contours better, you can see the holes and rocks because the lower angle projects a shadow, but on the road I want it helmet-mounted so when I look at a driver he gets my light right in his eyes and I can be a little more certain he sees me.
    I don't have two lights (yet) but have to say it would be the best of both worlds.

Nov 2009
    Helmet for sure... I want to see where I want to go, not the bike...

Members who have read this thread: 0