Helmet versus tree....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helmet versus tree....

I toasted my $200 helmet today (Giro Atmos) when I was maneuvering down a creek bed with overgrown brush that made a canopy over the "path". I hopped a downed log and set my sites on the next one and lifted my front wheel over it but didn't see the tree laying horizontal across the trail at a height of about 5 feet. I just nailed it about the time my back wheel started over the log. Luckily, I was probably going about 5 MPH. I suspect the helmet collapsing (see picture insert) saved me from a neck injury. The opposing strut is broken in 3 places...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jun 2007
    wow!! uhhhh congrats for not dying.

Sep 2006
    The more expensive the helmet, the more it's on the edge of be acceptable as a dome piece protector.

I'm guessing my bigger $35 helmet would have faired better but it would have to be replaced anyways due to that "one hit" rule.

Glad you're ok.

mtbr member
    That's why I don't buy $200.00 helmets.

mtbr member

False

Quote Originally Posted by MillerSHO
    The more expensive the helmet, the more it's on the edge of be acceptable as a dome piece protector.

I'm guessing my bigger $35 helmet would have faired better but it would have to be replaced anyways due to that "one hit" rule.
    As long as the lid is a 'light-weight' helmet and not a Skate/Stack Hat style helmet:

The more expensive the Helmet, the more technology and the more strength. Your $35 helmet is just styrofoam- so to make standards they have to make it heavy and chunky. A helmet like the Atmos, Bell Sweep, Specialized Decibel etc. all use composite (mostly carbon fibre and/or kevlar) structual skeleton inside the foam. Also those carbon bridges add to the stiffness/strength of the helmet. All this allows a lighter helmet with more vents that exceeds safety standards more so than cheaper helmets.

Anyway, glad you're ok- that's what I tell people- when it comes to protecting your knoggin, spending the $$$ on your helmet sure beats paralysis.

Sep 2006
    Those supports and bridges are to get it to an acceptable level, they way you spun it you make it sound like that's more safe then thick styrofoam.

I'm on fire.
    Awesome. I was climbing up a big hill a month or so ago, head down chugging uphill, only looking down at the trail in front of me. Somehow didn't see the downed tree hanging about 5' above the trail. Stuck my helmet into it good, stopped me right in my tracks, could hear my spine squishing....glad I had a helmet on to ease that impact some.
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

The Beaver
    I'd still wear it.

Just kidding.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by majura
    The more expensive the Helmet, the more technology and the more strength. Your $35 helmet is just styrofoam- so to make standards they have to make it heavy and chunky. A helmet like the Atmos, Bell Sweep, Specialized Decibel etc. all use composite (mostly carbon fibre and/or kevlar) structual skeleton inside the foam. Also those carbon bridges add to the stiffness/strength of the helmet. All this allows a lighter helmet with more vents that exceeds safety standards more so than cheaper helmets.
    Maybe I'm reading this, but if your saying that more expensive helmets are stronger and stiffer (correct me if I'm wrong) then you've got it backwards. The objective of helmets is lack of resiliency (the ability to maintain shape after impact). As an example a spongy rubber helmet would be very bad, because it would deflect the force of impact. A good helmet will be crushed, and therefore absorb the force of impact. Styrofoam is a good material for helmets because of it's lack of resiliency. Expensive helmets are architecturally designed to have better air flow while still maintaining adequate protection. Then there's the style thing.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    glad you are ok... your melon was saved

mtbr member
    Wow! I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for low hanging tree limbs from now on!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    Expensive helmets are architecturally designed to have better air flow while still maintaining adequate protection. Then there's the style thing.
    That is right:

THEY ARE ALL BUILT TO MEET/EXCEED the SAME STANDARDS!

jrm
    mtbr member

Make sure..

to contact giro about a crash replacement..save some $$$ for beer..

Some Assembly Required
    Pro-Tec makes helmets w/SXP technology that can take more than one hit and still be structurally sound/useable. They're military/riot police rated, so I don't think they're blowin' smoke up our butts. I wear the Ace Dig w/a visor and at times get hit in the head by low hanging branches/trees that I don't see because the visor is so low. When I toss it in the truck or in the floor at home, it will move the visor and I forget to adjust it on the trail until a limb/tree "reminds to". This helmet is hotter than most, but I like the large motostyle visor & the toughnesss of it. My melon has fared well after multiple "incedents" that tested the abilities of the Ace Dig. IMO, a helmet that will allow destruction of itself at the level seen in the pic from the OP has the potential to allow injury to the wearer along the same lines as the helmet breakeage. I'm into dh/freeride so that's where I'm comin' from w/MO.

http://www.pro-tec.net/
    Last edited by man w/ one hand; 07-11-2007 at 09:27 AM.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

thecentralscrutinizer
    Well, I'm sure your head feels okay, but what about your neck. That had to compress it at least a little. Ouch!!!
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29
    2019 Surly Karate Monkey

I already rode that
    Who knows...but as to losing 200$ for a helmet, thats why I wait for the bikeshow here as then I can pick it up for alot less.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member

Why are you wearing...

A roadie helmet on your mountain bike anyway? Just giving you the gears....glad you are OK

Cheers

Buzz

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    A roadie helmet on your mountain bike anyway?
    haha! I was wondering the same thing (though hubby uses a Xen on his road bike).

As mentioned, definitely take it to a dealer and do a crash replacement

Glad you're all right!

Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb
    Who knows...but as to losing 200$ for a helmet, thats why I wait for the bikeshow here as then I can pick it up for alot less.
    Bike show?

Is that like a gun show but for bikes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    $200 bucks well spent I say. The helmet did it's job.

Sure the $30 helmets may survive an impact like that a little better - but with the limited ventilation they offer - there is no way you can wear one of these here in SoCal during the summer.

Kirk

Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkB
    $200 bucks well spent I say. The helmet did it's job.

Sure the $30 helmets may survive an impact like that a little better - but with the limited ventilation they offer - there is no way you can wear one of these here in SoCal during the summer.

Kirk
    I don't deny that.
    It's been 100 here lately in Oregon and my helmet makes me loose so much water.

Dec 2006
    Well, be thankful it saved you. I ride the same helmet and I love it. Giro has a good crash replacement program from what I hear - give them a call.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    Well, I'm sure your head feels okay, but what about your neck. That had to compress it at least a little. Ouch!!!
    My neck was definitely at greatest risk, The blow was a direct compression to my neck. It hurt in several places immediately after contact but has only came up a little stiff since then. Other than that, I have two scraps on my forehead from where the front of the helmet dug in.

I went back up in the area this morning and took a picture of the trail... It's not used much and steeper than the picture looks. I pulled my front wheel over the the stick in the foreground and was looking at a little log under the tree, had my head down and didn't see the tree lying across the trail.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Well, I'm glad to hear that you feel okay. I did something similar and my neck hurt pretty good for a week. Looks like the helmet did it's job by absorbing the energy. Looks like an interesting combination of trail hazzards.

Have a good one.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29
    2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Members who have read this thread: 0