The helmet is toast.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well The helmet is toast.....

I pulled an awesome bonehead move today. My giro havoc helmet is toast. I was riding my bike on some easy single track, lost my balance, went down and smacked the side of my head on a railroad tie laying along the road. The helmet isn't cracked, but pretty scraped up and I know the giro helmet is only made for 1 crash. So I tried on a replacement helmet at Dick's Sporting Goods today.

The only giro helmet they had was the indicator and it hurt my head. I tried on a bell helmet and the bell citi series black helmet fit nicely. Anyone have this helmet? Is it a good helmet compared to a giro havoc?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...id=body_rv_txt

It doesn't look as cool as the giro havoc, but hell if it protects my noggin well then I could care less how dorky I look.

Dirt Deviant
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNickels
    I pulled an awesome bonehead move today. My giro havoc helmet is toast. I was riding my bike on some easy single track, lost my balance, went down and smacked the side of my head on a railroad tie laying along the road. The helmet isn't cracked, but pretty scraped up and I know the giro helmet is only made for 1 crash. So I tried on a replacement helmet at Dick's Sporting Goods today.

The only giro helmet they had was the indicator and it hurt my head. I tried on a bell helmet and the bell citi series black helmet fit nicely. Anyone have this helmet? Is it a good helmet compared to a giro havoc?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...id=body_rv_txt

It doesn't look as cool as the giro havoc, but hell if it protects my noggin well then I could care less how dorky I look.
    you were riding singletrack and hit a railroad tie? you do understand that singletrack doesn't have anything to do with railroad tracks right??

oh, and that helmet you are looking at is for city riding/commuting.. i have a Bell Influx that I spent about 60 on that fits great, is light, and has lots of venting. your LBS should have them and many others to try on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sorry, should have clarified. The single track area I was riding is along a nice hilly area with a rail road track. The last part of the ride is a steep downhill that turns about 70 degrees to the right. I lost my grip on the 70 degree turn and toppled over and the railroad tie was laying there after they re-did the ties on the rail road tracks last summer.
    Thank God I had a helmet on or I'd probably have a nasty concussion at the least.

Can that helmet be used for mountain biking or is just for commuting? Just curious.
    I have a $20 gift card for dick's and a $10 off coupon, so I could get the helmet for like 10 bucks.

I might just pick the bell citi up for my commuting and bike path rides. That way I can always use it if I wreck another giro helmet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNickels
    Sorry, should have clarified. The single track area I was riding is along a nice hilly area with a rail road track. The last part of the ride is a steep downhill that turns about 70 degrees to the right. I lost my grip on the 70 degree turn and toppled over and the railroad tie was laying there after they re-did the ties on the rail road tracks last summer.
    Thank God I had a helmet on or I'd probably have a nasty concussion at the least.

Can that helmet be used for mountain biking or is just for commuting? Just curious.
    I have a $20 gift card for dick's and a $10 off coupon, so I could get the helmet for like 10 bucks.

I might just pick the bell citi up for my commuting and bike path rides. That way I can always use it if I wreck another giro helmet.
    sure, you can use it on trails, but it doesnt have some of the features, mainly venting, that some of the other models do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    OK that was what I wanted to know. I don't mind as much about the vents, and the weight is the same as my old helmet. I just wanted something that was good quality and I could pick up at a decent price. It is a pretty high rated helmet for safety, but aren't all helmets rated the same for 1 crash? Isn't that the law?

I might just re-order a havoc helmet. Thanks for the link savage.

I might pick this citi helmet up tomorrow on a whim. Thanks all!

Seeker of Dirt

crash replacement

I know bell has a crash replacement policy. they'll give you 25% off a new helmet if you crash and damage your old one. (call the 800 # on the inside of the helmet.) I don't know if giro has the same policy or not.
    And at the end of the day, she smelled of dirt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I can't blame you for re-ordering the Havoc, I just got mine in UPS and love it. I was comparing the Bell Citi to it before I got the Havoc and the Havoc has much nicer ventilation from what I could tell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well I am glad I didn't get the havoc. I found a helmet that fits even better on me. I dropped by the trek bike shop today and picked up a nice new helmet for 29.99

I think I got a great deal on this helmet:

http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?...&bShopOnline=1

With the extra cash, picked up some riding gloves too.

Woot woot!

Members who have read this thread: 0