Helmet Tight? New?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helmet Tight? New?

So I got first FF Mtb helmet. I wear my motorcycle helmet all the time without a problem but this one is very tight. I measured my head before i ordered, and about three times since i got my helmet here to make sure I am not crazy. Every time I am within or just below the specified range - 61-62cm. My largest measurement was 61.5 and its W/E cause this is an XL and they didn't make an XXL.
    So I am confused and hoping it will stretch a little.
    Comments....
    Should i wear it and see ( at the office now )
    or box it up and mail it off now and order something else.
    None of my LBS sells helmet because I know trying them on is a huge help before buying.
    The motorcycle shop might how are MotoX helmets for DH? Heavy?
    "You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
    C. S. Lewis

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    I wear full DOT Troy Lee Lids and they are not too heavey. The foam will form to your head a little. If it's WAY too tight, send it back

Ideas Above My Station...
    The specified ranges mean jack squat for most people as head SHAPE is so different. I wouldn't go on size alone, its all about fit.

Mines definitely looser than when i bought it. That said it was VERY comfortable when i bought it!!

661 make great helmets for melon-heads like myself, XL was spot on!!
    Try the thing on for sure, it's not going to stop you from returning it if its too small is it?
    It needs to feel firm against the cheek, so it doesn't slide, but should not hurt at all, if its too tight you'll get a headache pretty quick!!

mtbr member
    It is a 661. and a XL. And its tight on my checks but thats ok. What hurts is corner of the foam crushing into my forehead when pull it down tight as if to do the straps up.
    I think its going back and Im gonna go to the motox store.
    I got a big head what can you do?
    C. S. Lewis

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i wear an XL 661 Flight moto helmet. It was definitely quite snug in a few spots when i first got it, but after several lift days, the foam padding forms to your head and it is very comfortable now. In fact, the helmet is so comfortable that I find myself not wanting to take it off for hours at a time, doing lap after lap on the lifts.

mtbr member
    I went to the Moto X store and bought an XXL - XL wont cut it for my big ass head.
    So problem solved, still nice and tight on my checks but no pain.
    Woot!
    661 heading back to the store.
    PS the 661 does look like a good helmet and hella light so dont let me sending it back speak against the helmet.
    C. S. Lewis

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I had to return the 661 Comp XL, too small, I got a full face MX helmet size 2XL and it fits. It is a little heavier, hotter too (no vents except two tiny holes on the back). DOT approved, the extra weight is a small price to pay for better protection in some of the crashes I've had.

The only big MTB full face I know of is the Azonic Fury, goes to 2XL (up to 64/65cm I think?)

StraightOuttaCompton
    one of my friends wears a size 8 hat and he rides in a TLD.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Check out these MX helmets ...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...lt-Helmet.aspx

click on the size chart, they got sizes 2XL to 5XL for huge freakin heads. Affordable too.

Glad to Be Alive
    sometimes you are between sizes of helmets by one manufacturer.....you might want to drive somewhere where you could check out helmets.....If ur helmet is too tight you won't like it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0