Helmet thoughts..............- Mtbr.com
    Glad to Be Alive

Helmet thoughts..............

why can football helmets be used over and over after contact hits

but MX and mountain bike helmets are thrashed???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    Football helmets are made to be used for very small hits. If a football player was wearing a DH helmet, the helmet and player would be fine. Its when the when the foam compresses that a football helmet would most likely just shatter and not protect you at all. Football helmets are more of a formality than anything else IMO
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    Go Niners!
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Football player wear helmets?

I'm guessing football helmets don't get hit against pointy rocks, trees, and other immovable objects, usually against the ground and another football helmet thats owner will have some give. Football player intentionaly bash into eachother, so their helmets are designed for that.

mtbr member
    ^^^^ That's Futball.

clyde in training
    Quote Originally Posted by b4 stealth
    Football helmets are made to be used for very small hits. If a football player was wearing a DH helmet, the helmet and player would be fine. Its when the when the foam compresses that a football helmet would most likely just shatter and not protect you at all. Football helmets are more of a formality than anything else IMO
    have you ever played football? If a football player tried to wear a downhill helmet he would get shards of plastic shrapnel blasted into his retinas. There is a reason why face masks are made out of steel. Football helmets are stronger than downhill helmets in every regard. I have seen one get ran over by a bus and survive. The reason dh helmets are weaker is because they are lighter. Plus, a bike helmet will rarely see contact, a football helmet gets blasted thousands of times throughout a season. Downhill helmets could be a lot stronger, but there is no need to have something that can sustain that sort of abuse more than once.

mtbr member
    I thought it was because when the helmet gets hit it shatters/cracks to take the blow instead of bouncing back up and snapping your neck. Kind of like how cars use to be reasonably hard to dent now they crumple to absorb impact. :]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The nice football helmets i used to wear were more like an air bag not foam, therefore it would compress and rebound unlike foam just compresses.
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

Members who have read this thread: 0