Helmet testing? Really this bad?- Mtbr.com
    Build More = Ride More

Helmet testing? Really this bad?

A buddy at work was talking about how he used to work a temp job testing the effectiveness of bike helmets.

Here's some things that kind of make me uneasy. I'm not sure how much is true these days since he did the job, but that's for discussion if anyone else has anything to add.

1. 80+% of them failed horribly first time through and had to be resubmitted.
    2. Most of the people testing were temps and didn't care much or paid enough to care.
    3. They were stoned a lot of the time.
    4. They did MANY tests each day and no real stringent way to make sure nothing accidentally passed when it should not have.

So does anyone have any info on how true this is? Makes me wonder how many kids are riding around with super cheap helmets that don't actually fit the quality guidelines.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Relax, dude. Just wear a purpose designed helmet and you'll be ok.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The lightest, most expensive helemts are the ones that always seem to be recalled by the CPSC.

Bike helmets really do not offer much protection to begin with. Amazed people put any faith in them to begin with.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    was this cpsc or snell or what? i know many companies test to the more stringent snell standards, and all helmets sold must meet the cpsc min standards.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0