Helmet for taller & narrow head- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helmet for taller & narrow head

Currently I ride with a Specialized S-Works helmet size Medium. The circumference is spot on after I tighten the headband setting, but due to the top to bottom sizing of my noggin - the helmet sits like a zit on top of it.

I'm very interested in finding a helmet that provides coverage similar to the Urge Enduromatic or maybe the POC Trabec - basically something that fits a bit more over my head than on it - and something that provides coverage further down the head than my typical XC style helmet.

Anyone w/ a narrow~ish, but still tall sized noggin have any luck with this? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I can't tell you what to buy but I can tell you what won't fit. I recently bought a Fox Flux helmet and I love it but it would not be the fit you're looking for. My head is not that long but it feels like the helmet would rather have a shorter/fatter/wider head than mine.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by cecald View Post
    Currently I ride with a Specialized S-Works helmet size Medium. The circumference is spot on after I tighten the headband setting, but due to the top to bottom sizing of my noggin - the helmet sits like a zit on top of it.

I'm very interested in finding a helmet that provides coverage similar to the Urge Enduromatic or maybe the POC Trabec - basically something that fits a bit more over my head than on it - and something that provides coverage further down the head than my typical XC style helmet.

Anyone w/ a narrow~ish, but still tall sized noggin have any luck with this? Thanks!
    The POC is a good candidate.
    The Urge is still too round for my head.
    Also look at Giro snow helmets. They seem to use a different shape than the bike helmets.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My head is similar and I ended up with the Specialized Align.

Cracking helmet for the money.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! I ordered the enduromatics and will post how they fit. If those don't fit the bill I'll probably order the poc and align to try.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    protec cyphon fit my tall skinny head well.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Ok got the enduromatics in, and I loved the fit. I ended up going with the sm/md size. It's snug around the forehead and back of head and has plenty of room left for the "dome". I could see how this helmet wouldn't fit someone who had a more narrow head though.

Only problem is my wife liked the helmet too, and ended up crashing her own helmet last weekend, so the helmet is hers for now. 2nd helmet on order.

By the way - these helmets come with two sets of pads for fit (since there isn't an adjustable headband). The tighter fitting pads were too tight on the sm/med helmet, and I didn't like the fit of the helmet in the md/lg with either pad. YMMV.

I really like the graphics and shape of this helmet. Also, on a 3 hr ride, I didn't think it was any hotter than my last xc oriented helmet. Wife tried it on a 2 hr ride and didn't notice anything either (though this was a cooler 80 some degree day anyways). I just left on a work trip, but I'll post pics and measure my head when I get home.

Members who have read this thread: 0