Helmet survey- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet survey

pewpewpew Moderator

Helmet survey

I'm needing a new helmet. Any advice?

Last edited by Impy; 03-30-2004 at 11:51 PM. Reason: can't spell survey

Mar 2004
    Giro E2... fits great, good ventilation, nice style too That is, if your not looking for a full face.
    b_r

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_riot
    Giro E2... fits great, good ventilation, nice style too That is, if your not looking for a full face.
    b_r
    Actually, I have an E2, and I hate it. It has a solid piece down the center, and I apparently have a ridge down the top of my skull. It's normally uncomfortable, and intolerable with a helmet light. That's what I get for buying mailorder without checking fit. What fits me better is the Bell Evo, which has a row of vents down the middle. I also picked up a Bell Bella, which is a fairly low-end helmet, but I liked the adjustment mech. I got it at Pedrofest for $20, about half of retail.

I guess the message is that helmets are a lot like saddles - every head's a bit different. Go for fit first and foremost. Ventilation is up there on the list of important features, to.

Anybody want a very lightly used yellow Giro E2, size 2XS/XS? ;^)

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member

Giro Pneumo

Spendy, but lightweight, easy to adjust and well ventilated. Comes with a detatchable visor. This is traditionally thought of as a road helmet, but I use it for both.

Feb 2004

Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    I apparently have a ridge down the top of my skull.
    Does that mean one of your parents was a Klingon?

I don't know if there's any truth in this at all, but a friend told me once that Bell helmets were for rounder heads and Specialized were for narrow(?) heads and... I used to have a nice Bell helmet, but my brother's dog ate it. Now I won't spend more than $35 for one. I think helmets with universal sizing seem to fit nicely. I just ordered a new Bell helmet. I think it was a 2K4 Ukon. Not the Bella model with the flowers on it. That'd be too girly for me. But, I think it's perfectly cool for others to wear them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    Actually, I have an E2, and I hate it. It has a solid piece down the center, and I apparently have a ridge down the top of my skull. It's normally uncomfortable, and intolerable with a helmet light. That's what I get for buying mailorder without checking fit. What fits me better is the Bell Evo, which has a row of vents down the middle. I also picked up a Bell Bella, which is a fairly low-end helmet, but I liked the adjustment mech. I got it at Pedrofest for $20, about half of retail.

I guess the message is that helmets are a lot like saddles - every head's a bit different. Go for fit first and foremost. Ventilation is up there on the list of important features, to.

Anybody want a very lightly used yellow Giro E2, size 2XS/XS? ;^)

Kathy
    I also have a 2XS/XS E2 - mine's a little too big. I'm constantly adjusting or fiddling with extra pads to keep it from sliding around. I like the weight and venting, and it's comfortable, it just takes a lot of messing with it to get it to stay put. And the sizing is very strange, because I wear a Medium in every other helmet brand I own.

Jan 2004

Bell Influx

I've had two Bell Influx helmets and have been happy with both. The one helmet I use for road and it's holding up great after 2000+ miles. I bought a new one just so the one can dry while I'm using the other. They are inexpensive compared to the quality of ventilation. They're real easy to find (especially now's '03s) for $50 although I think they retail for $79.

By the way, Performance has a 20% coupon code on RoadbikeReviews Hot Deal forum, good until 4/15. I used it yesterday to get two Terry Ti saddles for $100. I'm sure they have helmets on sale...they all do.

Still chuggin' along
    I have a Giro Animas but I have to say that my cheapy Giro is the best fitting and most well ventilated helmet I've owned. Go figure. When I tried the Animas on in the store I thought it fit great, but now that I've been wearing it for a couple of hours at a time, I'm finding that it sits too low on my head and squishes my temples, thus giving me a headache. I can ride with it looser during the day and I'm fine when I have to ride with it tight for night riding, that's when I get a headache.

If the Xen wasn't so darned expensive, I'd get that in a heartbeat! It felt like a pillow on my head!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Giro Havoc and like how easy it is to adjust on the fly but my old Giro Torrent fit me better.

Still chuggin' along
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtGirl
    my old Giro Torrent fit me better.
    Ah, THAT's what it was. Mine fit better,too and seemed to be better ventilated. I couldn't remember the name, though. THanks!

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDoIt
    Does that mean one of your parents was a Klingon?

I don't know if there's any truth in this at all, but a friend told me once that Bell helmets were for rounder heads and Specialized were for narrow(?) heads and... I used to have a nice Bell helmet, but my brother's dog ate it. Now I won't spend more than $35 for one. I think helmets with universal sizing seem to fit nicely. I just ordered a new Bell helmet. I think it was a 2K4 Ukon. Not the Bella model with the flowers on it. That'd be too girly for me. But, I think it's perfectly cool for others to wear them.
    LOL! Mom never told me!

I've also heard that different companies head forms tend one way or another.

I won't spend more than $40 for a helmet. I shop for last-year's leftovers. I paid $13.97 for the Evo a few years ago, and was one of Bell's high-end helmets. I had an older Evo, so I knew it'd fit. It was a 2-year-old leftover on REI Outlet. When you have a small head, you can find some great deals. The small sizes are usually what's left. A good place to shop for cheap lids (if you know what you like) is Ediscount Bike. Sierra Trading Post and REI Outlet also have deals sometimes.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable in a flowered helmet, either. The Bella I got is a lovely shade of violet which is fine by itself. However, it clashes hideously with my bright yellow Hollowpoint and nearly all of my jerseys, but then, I don't have to look at it. ;^)

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Mar 2004
    Yeah, I guess every head is different, but my E2 fits perfectly fine... I'm happy with it, so no worries here... going with what is comfortable is most important, and what fits one person may not necessarily fit another... Maybe it's my size (6' 2) that fills in the gaps... Plus I fell in love with the pain job... black base, with blue and grey flames burning up the front.
    b_r

internet axe murderer

Cratoni

I have a Cratoni, don't remember the style name because it's a couple seasons old. Anyway, it fits my noggin better than the Giro, Bell, and Specialized helmets did. It was also a good value.

Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    I'm needing a new helmet. Any advice?