Helmet Suitable battery for MagicShine?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Spoke Breaker!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    275

    Helmet Suitable battery for MagicShine?

    So I have on order a MagicShine 900. But I was wondering if anyone has made a battery "pack" that is suitable to run that light but small enough to mount to the helmet.

    I would really love not having to worry about disconnecting the light and battery everytime I take off my helmet.
    Fat-n00b

    KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

    Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106

  3. #3
    Spoke Breaker!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    275
    So the MS Battery is 7.4v and 4000mAh... Correct?


    So took this holder:
    http://www.batteryspace.com/Battery-...ong-20AWG.aspx

    and Place 2 of these in it:
    http://www.batteryspace.com/Li-ion-1...62Wh---LG.aspx

    I would have 7.4v but would I figure the capacity to be a 2600mAh or 5400mAh?

    Also would my MS charger work fine on a battery that has a different capacity but is the same volt rating and "type" of battery? Or would I want by a charger like this one:
    http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcha...h-unli004.aspx
    Fat-n00b

    KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

    Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

  4. #4
    Spoke Breaker!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    275
    So I think I figured out that it would be 2600mAh...

    But that is not too Bad considering I could just create 2 little packs and switch them out if I needed the extra run time. So I would need 4 batteries, 2 holders, plus 2 connector wires (or 1 Y connector from GeoManGear) and some black plasti-dip.

    Batteries:
    4x$8.50 = $34.00

    Battery Cases:
    2x$13.95 = $27.90

    Y Cable (to salvage 2 - MagicShine Connectors):
    1x$7.99 = $7.99

    So that is $69.89 (plus any shipping) to have (2) 2600mAh batteries small enough to mount to helmet... And combined have 30% more battery capacity 4000mAh vs 5400
    That does not sound bad really, now is it worth it?
    Fat-n00b

    KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

    Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by FatNoob
    Batteries:
    4x$8.50 = $34.00

    Battery Cases:
    2x$13.95 = $27.90

    Y Cable (to salvage 2 - MagicShine Connectors):
    1x$7.99 = $7.99

    So that is $69.89 (plus any shipping)
    That does not sound bad really, now is it worth it?

    Fatnoob, did you see the link I posted above? Seems lidarmans way is a good bit cheaper, was there something you didn't like about that set up? Just curious.

  6. #6
    Spoke Breaker!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    Seems lidarmans way is a good bit cheaper, was there something you didn't like about that set up? Just curious.
    Only 1400mAh which is roughly only 1 hour run time on high... But I see your point on cost...

    I could do a little more DIY approach and buy the cells with tabs and then get a PCM and a little bit of wire and save $27 of that cost...
    Fat-n00b

    KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

    Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

  7. #7
    Cars Are Evil
    Reputation: Vermont29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,125
    It'd be a good idea to do balance charging. The MS pack has it. Although maybe you don't really need it with just 2 cells in series.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by FatNoob
    So I have on order a MagicShine 900. But I was wondering if anyone has made a battery "pack" that is suitable to run that light but small enough to mount to the helmet.

    I would really love not having to worry about disconnecting the light and battery everytime I take off my helmet.
    This never occurred to me as I've never taken my helmet off during a ride, but with the extension cable that comes w the Magicshine, there is plenty of cable to put the battery in camel back, jersey pocket,or shorts pocket. That seems way easier than adding more weight to your helmet.

    Just my .02

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,109
    Quote Originally Posted by FatNoob
    So I think I figured out that it would be 2600mAh...

    But that is not too Bad considering I could just create 2 little packs and switch them out if I needed the extra run time. So I would need 4 batteries, 2 holders, plus 2 connector wires (or 1 Y connector from GeoManGear) and some black plasti-dip.

    Batteries:
    4x$8.50 = $34.00

    Battery Cases:
    2x$13.95 = $27.90

    Y Cable (to salvage 2 - MagicShine Connectors):
    1x$7.99 = $7.99

    So that is $69.89 (plus any shipping) to have (2) 2600mAh batteries small enough to mount to helmet... And combined have 30% more battery capacity 4000mAh vs 5400
    That does not sound bad really, now is it worth it?
    FN....I think there's an easier way...First, you only need one 2-cell battery case ( unless you are setting up two helmets ). Second, no need to buy 18650 cells from BatterySpace. Buy from D/X ( FREE SHIPPING ) 4 to $5 a cell depending on what you buy. ( examples #1 and #2 )
    Get the Y cable as you said and splice in one of the connectors to the battery holder. Forget about plastic dip. Find a small camera case ( try Best buy and look for small camera cases ) to put the holder in. This way when you need to change or charge batteries just take them out and replace with fresh cells. For a charger just buy one of these from D/X and charge the cells separately. Use a small bit of Velcro to keep the cells in the holder and you should be good. Find a way to attach the battery case/bag to your helmet ( Velcro again? ) and you're off to the races.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.