helmet suggestions?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2009

helmet suggestions?

Hi, My name is Daniel and I am 17

I have this year decided that I would like to get into mountain biking, like downhill and such, I have done a fair amount of street riding with my Boy Scout Troop, and I have a Hardrock Pro, I would like to get a full face helmet, and right now I am looking at a Giro Remedy, is this a good helmet, are there any other helmets i should look at? and is there anything else I should look into getting?

thank you,
    Daniel

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    get it if it fits all other full face helmets will be more expensive like six six ones i have a giro and i like it

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If you're looking to downhill, I'd think you might want some pads. I think you'll also be looking at buying a different bike. Most of the downhill guys I know are on expensive FS bikes that have lots of suspension travel.

Are you sure you wouldn't rather start out with some all mountain/trail riding?

Mar 2009
    i plan on starting out much lower with a goal of getting up to some downhill, so ya, I am gonna do alot of all mountain type stuff to start off with

local trails rider
    If you are going to ride trails, that means a lot of pedaling. Full Face helmets are not very nice there: they get hot and make breathing harder. In my opinion, current full face helmets are best for DH racing, jumping, and other high risk riding styles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by raceteen48
    i plan on starting out much lower with a goal of getting up to some downhill, so ya, I am gonna do alot of all mountain type stuff to start off with
    If that's the case, my suggestion would be to consider a regular helmet rather than a full-face helmet. The full-face helmet will give you more protection, but it will also be heavy. And a lower-end full-face helmet may not have good ventilation.

If it were me, I'd opt for a conventional helmet and try to find one that has good coverage for the back of the head. The Fox Flux is one of the better ones in this regard, though it seems slightly heavy; I haven't ridden one yet so I can't comment on the ventilation. As I recall, the Giro Hex also had pretty good coverage for the back of the head. I'm sure there are others that do a good job.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There is a nice write up regarding full face helmets and how to choose the best one for yourself, check it out at: Full Face Helmet Guide

Members who have read this thread: 0