Helmet suggestion for HUGE head- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Helmet suggestion for HUGE head

I've recently started a job that has an incredibly painful car-commute, so I'm planning to start biking instead. To that end, I'm working on acquiring some appropriate gear. First major snag was with the helmet. None seem to fit my enormous dome.

I went to 2 different LBS and nothing they stocked really came close. The staff didn't really have any good suggestions beyond "try looking online". I found a 9-year-old thread on MTBR that suggested the Giro Atlas II, but that model does not seem to be available any longer.

I did a quick string->tape measure check and my skull measures about 26 3/8", which is well beyond the listed range for basically every helmet I've found online. For reference, when I last attempted to buy a fitted baseball cap (New Era), I tried their largest manufactured size, (8 1/8), and it was kind of close, but still a no-go. FWIW, my head is longer (front to back) than it is wide. Some people online have suggested the Giro Savant, but I don't have ready access to one to try it out.

Do any of you have other suggestions?

smartass
    I wear XXL helmets and my head is longer front to back, always get forehead pressure. I don't know my actual measurement offhand, it's big, but not 26" big. (I also need the biggest size ball cap and most of them still hurt my forehead).

Anyway, the best fitting helmet I've ever owned or tried on is the Troy Lee A1. The XXL size fits me great and is very comfortable with room to spare. I can even wear a thin skull cap under it and still not be maxed out on the adjustment, so there's room to spare for somebody with a larger head.

mtbr member
    My cousin has a big head (over a size 8) and has good luck with Uvex helmets. They even have a helmet model specifically listed as "Oversize". Being from Germany I'd guess they see some big heads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I'll try to find a local retailer for both the Troy Lee A1 and oversized Uvex helmets. Thanks for the suggestions.