Helmet Stories Wanted...- Mtbr.com

Mar 2005

Helmet Stories Wanted...

I'm working on putting together a tract or booklet that riders can hand out to those how are stupid enough ride without a helmet. The tract will include a few stories about riders who would be dead if it weren't for thier helmet, a few stories about helmetless riders who didn't make it and the tract will explain why riding without a helmet is a liability to all mountain bikers.

I am soliciting your stories and ideas. I am particularly interested in events that took place in the Northern CA region and especially any place near Chico or Paradise.

My vision for the tract is that it be something that the LSB can give away to new riders and anyone who has ever felt like giving another rider a lecture for not wearing a lid. The aim is to create a non-confrontational way to present a few compelling reasons to sport a helmet. Any input is welcome and appreciated!

-Mark

29 inches and Pissed Off!

Put this in your pamphlet.

So one day I'm riding on some nice singletrack. Like a good boy I have my helmet on. An evil tree reaches out and sticks a branch in one of the vents. Jerks me off the bike and wrenches my neck. Two weeks of no riding.

You preacher and lecturer types need to watch more Jimmy Swaggart and ride less. Give it a rest.
    Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

Caca pasa

Once Apon A Time...

...down in Dingley Dell, Mr. and Mrs. Helmet were sad.

Why were they sad? you ask.

They were sad because they didn't have lots of little Helmets running around underfoot.

Why didn't they? you ask.

Well, Mr. Helmet was shooting blanks, and...

Oh, that's not the kind of story you wanted? Sorry.

fp

Edit: Hey, maybe you can get these guys to write an episode for you!

"합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Backinthegame
    My vision for the tract is that it be something that the LSB can give away to new riders and anyone who has ever felt like giving another rider a lecture for not wearing a lid.
    No one ever goes to the LSB any more anyway.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    No one ever goes to the LSB any more anyway.
    LSB's rock!!

Mar 2005
    Mr. Kana,

You kana say what you want. All I know is that my helmet saved my life this summer. I've riden for many years and one thing I know is that we all get to take our turn sooner or later.

Here's a senerio for you... Captin College Kiddo on his big-hit bike goes down and bonks his head - Captin College Kiddo's Mom and Dad file a law suit agaist the local parks department - Trails closed - Game over.

Ya maybe your right. Maybe I should stick to doin' LSB and mindin' my own business. It wouldn't be worth the effort just to save a life... Or maybe a trail.

-Mark

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    here's what I say.
    If you're too stupid to wear a helmet while riding on trail, there's probably nothing up there worth protecting anyways.

mtbr member
    Did you drop some LSB??

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte

They were sad because they didn't have lots of little Helmets running around underfoot.

Oh, that's not the kind of story you wanted? Sorry.

fp

Edit: Hey, maybe you can get these guys to write an episode for you!

mtbr member
    I have a helmet story myself (it and my nose each lost a little chunk, but I was fine). However, maybe it's just where I ride or whatever, but I can't remember the last time I saw a mountain biker riding without a helmet. On-road-- advanced road cyclists and commuters alike-- it happens all the time.

enter and win
    My advice: replace your helmet after 2 concussions. OK maybe one but that first one rang my bell so bad I forgot...and I wasn't even taking LSB like fp....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I saw a good sign on helmets this past summer at one end of the Flume Trail. I think it was a Nevada State Parks sign. It just explained very succnctly the forces required to cause brain injury or death, and how easy it was to generate those forces falling off a bike.

Coors, the american beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte

Oh, that's not the kind of story you wanted? Sorry.]
    bahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa now THATS comedy.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Quote Originally Posted by Backinthegame
    Mr. Kana,

You kana say what you want. All I know is that my helmet saved my life this summer. I've riden for many years and one thing I know is that we all get to take our turn sooner or later.

Here's a senerio for you... Captin College Kiddo on his big-hit bike goes down and bonks his head - Captin College Kiddo's Mom and Dad file a law suit agaist the local parks department - Trails closed - Game over.

Ya maybe your right. Maybe I should stick to doin' LSB and mindin' my own business. It wouldn't be worth the effort just to save a life... Or maybe a trail.

-Mark
    No Captin College Kiddo exist. Probably because of blanks being shot.

You did miss my point. I never said don't wear a helmet. You can do what you want. Preaching gets across in the Red States. I wonder how many people that drive their bike to the trail wear a helmet in their car? I guarantee that more have head injuries in their car in an accident.

What's LSB stand for? Loose Sloppy Brains?

Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com

Nov 2004
    I'm in NC not NorCal but; Dec. 2002 did an endo off a small (2-3') drop, cracked my helmet down the middle and fractured cervical vertebrae #4-7 and thoracic #6. First few days in the hospital they wanted to intubate me due to difficulty with breathing, me and my living will refused. I still cannot ride (or walk), but I can breathe which I believe is due to the helmet doing its job. Be happy to provide more details if desired.

Aug 2004

The guy who broke his leg this weekend at Tamarancho hit his head first..

Quote Originally Posted by canine
    I'm in NC not NorCal but; Dec. 2002 did an endo off a small (2-3') drop, cracked my helmet down the middle and fractured cervical vertebrae #4-7 and thoracic #6. First few days in the hospital they wanted to intubate me due to difficulty with breathing, me and my living will refused. I still cannot ride (or walk), but I can breathe which I believe is due to the helmet doing its job. Be happy to provide more details if desired.

Maybe it would have been MUCH worse w/out a helmet - maybe get his story.....

mtbr member

Tamarancho helmet story

I am the person who crashed at Tamarancho this past weekend wearing a Giro switchblade, and I had taken off the face protecting bit because...I'm not sure why..hmmm....maybe because it got in the way?....maybe because it makes me look like I am trying too hard to be hardcore?.....anyways, it is going back on now....permanently (when I ride three months from now sheeeatt)..because there is a large abrasion on my chin and cheek where the faceguard should have been/or protected...and the kids I work with will laugh at me...boo hoo hoo...

Anyways, I whacked a tree with my helmet (as I was off-kilter, thinking about beer, chicken fajitas,.. something other than concentrating on where I was going), had I not had my helmet on, I would have spilled brains (some real loose sloopy brains) everywhere as well as snapping my lower leg into three pieces.

Simple as that.

Probably would have left a widow and infant to try and figure out how to sell my nomad, rohloff, and other over-the-top bike and ski stuff on ebay to pay for my funeral and associated costs, as well as shipping my body back to New Zealand. Would have been a three day auction with no reserve. So yes, a helmet works.

Also, only for those interested,(if this ever happens to you) the orthopedic surgeon who looked at my leg yesterday was very happy that I quickly straightened my leg against the railway tie and kept it straight until the splint arrived. And said had I not done that, the muscles/tendons would have been more out of wack, and increased the recovery time. I am going back to work this afternoon...boo hoo..

I have been mountain biking for a while...about 20 years.....mostly in New Zealand and a couple of years whilst living in Canada.and have had a few crashes, the most significant was off a icy bridge into a creekbed 20 feet down in New Zealand, in which I was concussed, and 7km from the road. I thankfully could walk out, with my friends (who were pi**ed) The helmet was the only thing that saved me. I have a few helmet saved stories, but not to bore you. I need to get on my crutches and try and get dressed with a cast that goes from my hip down till my toes. Joy. Gonna take a while!
    Last edited by arandal; 03-02-2006 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Loose sloopy brains

Ride what you want!!
    One of my worst crashes came because of my helmet. I grazed a low hanging branch that I couldn't see because of my visor and that I would have missed because I just glanced the top/side of my helmet.

Knocked me sideways off my bike.

Now, being knocked off the bike was bad enough but there was nothing to land on. I was up on the edge of a creek bank so instead of falling a couple feet onto the dirt, I fell 10-12 ft down a creak bank into a exposed root ball of a tree and then on to the sand.

Completely jacked me up.

Luckily nothing broken, but I had huge bruises down the length of my body and scrapes over my arms and legs where I had fallen into the roots of the tree. I had to lay there on the sand for 15-20 minutes before I could even get up.

I have never had a helmet save me in a crash.

george

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Aug 2004

Good point... I'm getting rid of my helmet ASAP.....

Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    One of my worst crashes came because of my helmet. I grazed a low hanging branch that I couldn't see because of my visor and that I would have missed because I just glanced the top/side of my helmet.

Knocked me sideways off my bike.

Now, being knocked off the bike was bad enough but there was nothing to land on. I was up on the edge of a creek bank so instead of falling a couple feet onto the dirt, I fell 10-12 ft down a creak bank into a exposed root ball of a tree and then on to the sand.

Completely jacked me up.

Luckily nothing broken, but I had huge bruises down the length of my body and scrapes over my arms and legs where I had fallen into the roots of the tree. I had to lay there on the sand for 15-20 minutes before I could even get up.

I have never had a helmet save me in a crash.

george

george
    Anyone want to buy some helmets? I have a full face for Downieville and a regular one for around here... I might as well ditch the racing helmet as well..... I'll be the only one in a shifter kart without a helmet but I think george has a good point here... Helmets are DANGEROUS.....

Ride what you want!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhruth
    Anyone want to buy some helmets? I have a full face for Downieville and a regular one for around here... I might as well ditch the racing helmet as well..... I'll be the only one in a shifter kart without a helmet but I think george has a good point here... Helmets are DANGEROUS.....
    You totally missed the point.... any individual story can be for or agaisnt helmet usage. One story, one way or another is meaningless in the context of wether or not helmets are useful or not. In fact, the more outrages and unusual the story, the less likely people are to listen because of the 'it won't happen to me' factor.

Helmet nazis discourage people from riding and that is far worse than riding without a helmet. Sitting on the couch is a bigger health risk than not wearing a helmet.

george
    Last edited by george_da_trog; 03-03-2006 at 04:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It's always amazing to me the lack of intelligence in people who decide not to use helmets. Like a self fulfilling prophecy. Life is about risk management, manage it wisely. My life is intact because of mine. Although, I recommend a Moto if you plan on going fullface.

mtbr member
    Wow. Judging people is awesome. I'm from Chico, and i wear a helmet 95% of the time. The 5% that i don't, is when i'm at the local DJ's, and even then i wear it when i'm doing flips or 360's. I just don't wear it when i'm flowing the lines that i have hit a thousand times. Not the smartest thing, i know, but i'm willing to take the chance of rocking my dome, because i feal real comforatable. I've spent the last 20 years skating the streets without a helmet as well.
    What about you heath, did you wear your helmet in the streets all those years?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    Wow. Judging people is awesome. I'm from Chico, and i wear a helmet 95% of the time. The 5% that i don't, is when i'm at the local DJ's, and even then i wear it when i'm doing flips or 360's. I just don't wear it when i'm flowing the lines that i have hit a thousand times. Not the smartest thing, i know, but i'm willing to take the chance of rocking my dome, because i feal real comforatable. I've spent the last 20 years skating the streets without a helmet as well.
    What about you heath, did you wear your helmet in the streets all those years?
    Good point. POint yours. Fifteen years of skateboarding and no helmet in the street. BUt check the stats, 15 years skateboarding-hit head three times-no concussions. Riding bikes 4 years-two concussions and hit head several times. I would relate the risk in skatebaording and hitting your head much lower than riding a bike. It's like trying to compare driving a car to riding a bike. Crashing in a car is much more risky and the penalties are much higher. It is your dome-do what you will. It's my two cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath Sherratt
    I would relate the risk in skatebaording and hitting your head much lower than riding a bike. It's like trying to compare driving a car to riding a bike.
    Not trying to start an E-bickerfest with you, but i can't agree with these points at all, considering, i have had a couple massive conccusions skating the streets, and had a friend of ours die from hitting his head skating.
    It's all equal risk to me. Railing some single track and backside 180 down a 13 set, or FS slide a big rail. It can all lead to death in the end without a helmet.

Paper or plastic?
    Not trying to start an E-bickerfest with you, but i can't agree with these points at all, considering, i have had a couple massive conccusions skating the streets, and had a friend of ours die from hitting his head skating.
    It's all equal risk to me. Railing some single track and backside 180 down a 13 set, or FS slide a big rail. It can all lead to death in the end without a helmet.
    So if I understand you correctly, your buddy died skateboarding without a helmet, but you keep doing it. Did I get that right?

When I was a kid, I never ever considered riding my bike with a helmet. Actually, I don't even know if they had any back then, but that does not mean that I should keep making the same mistake 20 years later.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

So, do you wear a helmet when you are driving your car? The odds are greater in the car then skateboarding(I never used a helmet, mostly landed on my ass) or biking or almost any other sport that you will hurt your noggin.

So if your going to rag on anyone who choses not to wear a helmet while riding a bike, look in the rear view mirror and go at it.

Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com

mtbr member
    I think people need to stop pushing there beliefs on others. People are going to go in the direction they choose regardless of how gruesome of a story you have.

mtbr member
    True...true...true

Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    I think people need to stop pushing there beliefs on others. People are going to go in the direction they choose regardless of how gruesome of a story you have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ride what you want!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath Sherratt
    I would relate the risk in skatebaording and hitting your head much lower than riding a bike. It's like trying to compare driving a car to riding a bike. Crashing in a car is much more risky and the penalties are much higher. It is your dome-do what you will. It's my two cents.
    Riding is a car is riskier than riding a bike so you would wear a helmet in the car more often than on a bike.

Personal experience is no way to judge which is risker, skateboarding or biking. In 6 years of skateboarding I hit my head far more times than I have in 12 years of biking. So what?

But I do know that the US has a problem with kids not exercising. I wonder how many kids have been disuaded from riding because they didn't want to hassle with a helmet.

Kid 1: Let's ride over to the park and play some basketball.
    Kid 2: I can't, I lost my helmet again and my parents said if I get another ticket I have to pay for it.
    Kid 1: How about some Madden.
    Kid 2: Cool.

george

Members who have read this thread: 0