THE helmet sizing - advice needed!!!- Mtbr.com

Jan 2009

New question here. THE helmet sizing - advice needed!!!

Hey guys,

It must have been at least 10 years since I posted here. I haven't ridden a "proper" bike for a looong time, mainly due to medical reasons. Now, I'm getting back on it - I already bought a more-than-decent IH Sunday and some protective gear from my mate, and all I'm missing is a full-face helmet. I've been looking at the THE Legion helmet (from their ONE series - here's the link: http://www.the-industries.com/produc...te_legion.html ), but I'm not sure what size I should get. M is 56-58cm and L is 58-60cm, whereas my head's exactly 22.7" (=58cm), so I'm right between the two sizes! What should I do? Do these helmets run big/small? Do you guys have any other tips with regards to sizing? I don't want my helmet to be loose, but I also don't want it to be too tight (obviously).

Unfortunately, I can't try the helmet before buying it (will buy it online) since there's no bike shop selling THE helmets around where I live...

Thanks for your advice!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My head measures about 58.5cm and my THE helmet(Large) is a snug fit. you probably wont have a problem.
    Last edited by ruralrider528; 02-08-2009 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Majstoreee
    Hey guys,

It must have been at least 10 years since I posted here. I haven't ridden a "proper" bike for a looong time, mainly due to medical reasons. Now, I'm getting back on it - I already bought a more-than-decent IH Sunday and some protective gear from my mate, and all I'm missing is a full-face helmet. I've been looking at the THE Legion helmet (from their ONE series - here's the link: http://www.the-industries.com/produc...te_legion.html ), but I'm not sure what size I should get. M is 56-58cm and L is 58-60cm, whereas my head's exactly 22.7" (=58cm), so I'm right between the two sizes! What should I do? Do these helmets run big/small? Do you guys have any other tips with regards to sizing? I don't want my helmet to be loose, but I also don't want it to be too tight (obviously).

Unfortunately, I can't try the helmet before buying it (will buy it online) since there's no bike shop selling THE helmets around where I live...

Thanks for your advice!

I ordered the colliseum carbon fiber last week, OEM.
    The shells are all the same size, its the liner that makes it fit you.
    I ordered mine bigger than I thought I'd need, liners are much less expensive than shells,
    And they will switch it with you for no extra charge.
    Let THE know your question when you order, they are great folks.
    RTW.

mtbr member
    Ive run THE helmets for the last 3-4 years. I have 2 sitting in my garage right now. One is a L and the other is an XL. They both fit about the same, but I like the feel of the XL better. My head measures in at a 23". Jenson has last years THE for cheap right now.

Get a LARGE, no doubt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    anyone gone from a TLD lid to a THE lid? how did your sizes compare?
    I use a Med Lge TLD lid now and tried a med THE, which felt too tight (squashing my cheeks), and then a Large which felt kinda too loose

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    anyone?

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Majstoreee

Thanks for your advice!
    Majstoreee, just make sure whoever you order it through, they will do an exchange. I have recently tried on a number of full faced helmets, all large and I can tell you, they were all very different. Unfortunately with helmets it comes down to fit and comfort. This can ONLY be achieved by trying them on. If your unable to do this, then at the very least use an online store that will let you exchange.
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

mtbr member
    Ordered THE One 'Ink' 11th Feb still waiting Spoke with the Online store today should be here (UK) early next week, with me end of next week!

Tried every dealer within sensible driving distance and nobody stocked them, there was one dealer that had a Shop and an online store and it was only 30 mins drive But they didn't have any in the shop and the owner wouldn't get one down from the warehouse for me to try before I bought????? he said just measure your head and order, I explained that the fit is different for each helmet Manufacturer because peoples heads are all different shapes! His reply= I sell about 30 of these a week Pal and nobody ever returns them

If it doesn't fit then I will have to return or try to get a new liner (head at largest point approx 58cm, ordered M size as the sizing chart on the Website says 56-58cm = M, 59-60 = L, 60-62 = XL)

Can't believe how hard it is to buy a THE Full face helmet

mtbr member
    Came today (Early ) Medium fits perfectly, cheeks are NOT squashed in causing it to be uncomfortable and stays nice and firmly in place without wobble when I shake my head around! The Acid test will be Sunday morning when I hit the DH trails, SWEEEEEET!

P.S Looks awesome to

Capricious youth...
    I wear a large Bell, can cram (uncomfortably) into a medium Giro, but I wear a Large THE.

I think the THE helmets seem to run a little smaller than most other helmets. Just my $0.02.

Maybe I have an odd shaped head.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i run a medium Giro Remedy, but tried on my riding buddy's small THE. it fit a little better. but, his pads were more "worn in". i remember trying it on when he first got it, and thinking it was tight.

mtbr member
    THE sells different liners for their ONE helmets. I'm got a M sized liner that I'm using with a S size liner. It really helped dial in the fit for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas
    THE sells different liners for their ONE helmets. I'm got a M sized liner that I'm using with a S size liner. It really helped dial in the fit for me.
    M liner with a Small shell do you mean?

which sizes use the same shell?

No Knuckle Crew
    Jan 2007
    Like it was mentioned previously, their shells are all the same size and you just need to find the appropriate liner that fits. I ordered a carbon izyk from Jenson about a month ago that was an XL (the only size that was in stock), and then called T.H.E. who connected me with the rep that covers my area and he hooked me up with different liners at no charge.

mtbr member
    Yup, the shell sizes remain the same. I mean I've got a S liner and M liner mix going on in the shell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    how much weight diff u think there is between each liner? i liked how light the small THE felt. but i magine most of the weight is in the shell right?

mtbr member
    The shell sizes don't change. It's the liners that change, so I don't think you're going to feel any weight differences with a L helmet, or a S helmet.

*Edit just saw your previous post regarding the fit

Your best bet would be to go for the S size. Helmet pads will wear in with time and you definitely want a snug helmet and not one that's comfortable, but a little loose, for DH.

Members who have read this thread: 0