helmet saved my butt- Mtbr.com

May 2009

helmet saved my butt

I was cruising down a fairly technical trail at a pretty good clip today when my front tire got caught in a rut. I'm pretty good at falling so I went down smooth unfortunately there was a tree right in the path of my rolling with sharp broken branches sticking out everywhere. I took two right to the head, one hit my helmet and cracked it the other scraped across my face scratching my riding glasses. If I didn't have both of them on I would be in the E.R. right now or worse. Ya, I got a little banged up but nothing major. I'm not riding without my helmet ever again. This is the first time I've really needed a helmet in 20 years of riding, I'm glad I had it on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Glad to hear you made it out ok. As soon as I went from riding sidewalks to trails, I bought a helmet and always wear it when I drop in. My biggest fear is taking a bad fall and getting hurt.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If it saved your butt, you are wearing it wrong Somebody had to say it.

Seriously, glad you were reletavely unhurt, and yes, ALWAYS wear the helmet and glasses.

Lon

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde
    If it saved your butt, you are wearing it wrong Somebody had to say it.

Seriously, glad you were reletavely unhurt, and yes, ALWAYS wear the helmet and glasses.

Lon

You beat me to the first part, and I whole heatedly agree with the second part...

And Tyler, you proved a point I made to my son and one of his friends today, you may only need the helmet once. If you don't have it, then what?
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

wanna dance?
    "I was cruising down a fairly technical trail at a pretty good clip today ... there was a tree right in the path of my rolling with sharp broken branches sticking out everywhere."

If you weren't wearing a helmet, would you have been riding that dangerous, technical trail at that same speed? Or would you have been more careful? Can't really tell the future til you try it and see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack
    "................................................. ..........
    If you weren't wearing a helmet, would you have been riding that dangerous, technical trail at that same speed? Or would you have been more careful? Can't really tell the future til you try it and see.

Oracle: I'd ask you to sit down, but, you're not going to anyway. And don't worry about the vase.
    Neo: What vase?
    [Neo turns to look for a vase, and as he does, he knocks over a vase of flowers, which shatters on the floor]
    Oracle: That vase.
    Neo: I'm sorry...
    Oracle: I said don't worry about it. I'll get one of my kids to fix it.
    Neo: How did you know?
    Oracle: Ohh, what's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken it if I hadn't said anything?

Took a buddy out for his first mtb ride at a noob unfriendly trail. He kind of shunned the helmet as dumb. But luckly he wore it because by the end of the ride, there was a nice dent in the front of the helmet!

How do I do that?
    It's funny how the majority of cyclists wear helmets but most of the motorcyclists that I see during my ride to the trail wear non

Well, aside from the few Mr Olympia type bodybuilders that I see on the trail with nothing but shorts and shoes on, most of us have sense to protect out noggins

Glad you made it out ok Tyler

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Interesting stuff, ive been meaning to get a helmet az im becoming more aggressive almost everytime i ride, jst dont have any extra money at the moment to spend. I suppose a hospital bill for head trauma would cost quite a bit more though.

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreHardtail
    jst dont have any extra money at the moment to spend. I suppose a hospital bill for head trauma would cost quite a bit more though.

I think a doctor once charged me $5 for a band-aid so yeah, it's def a lot cheaper then a visit to the ER.

I've seen Bell helmets at costco for around $15 or so. Not the fanciest lid but still meets safety standards and is def worth it considering it's cheaper then a meal at your local restaurant

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    A trail doesn't have to be gnarly and dangerous to knock in the brains. I've cracked one helmet on a bike path wreck. Jamming home after a ride... gravel + pavement in corner + high speed = front tire not interested in playing any more. Instant down at 20+mph. Helmet split.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    It doesn't take a whole lot to be seriously injured. I don't know how anyone can ride and not wear a helmet. I remember a guy at a local pub stepped outside to have a smoke. Lost his balance and hit his head on the pavement. He died 3 days later.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wg
    A trail doesn't have to be gnarly and dangerous to knock in the brains. I've cracked one helmet on a bike path wreck. Jamming home after a ride... gravel + pavement in corner + high speed = front tire not interested in playing any more. Instant down at 20+mph. Helmet split.
    Yep. All my worst spills (injury-wise) have been on relatively tame trails. For me, less technical/gnarly means I'm going faster, and speed makes any fall much worse, and cuts down reaction time.

May 2009
    Hotblack, Maybe I can't tell the future, but now in my mind at least I'm certain A helmet is a good idea every ride where as before I wore it sometimes, this crash changed my point of view on the subject, maybe was the blow to the head I got.

mtbr member
    There is a pile of styrofoam that used to be a helmet hanging as a reminder at my local bike shop.
    The guy missed a corner at high speed and was launched headfirst on a big boulder.
    The helmet has literally exploded in pieces all hanging from the mesh.
    Its a miracle that he can still ride... I always wear my helmet since i saw that.

mtbr member
    my helmet has never helped me in a crash. it has, however, protected me from fallen trees laying across the trail that have rung my bell even with the helmet on...I duck beneath them but sometimes I just can't get low enough. a 12" truck to the noggin while riding is no fun...glad I had the lid on those times.

Members who have read this thread: 0