Helmet resistance (RANT WARNING)- Mtbr.com
    Slothful dirt hippie

Helmet resistance (RANT WARNING)

So folks at my work are FINALLY deciding that with gas north of $3 a gallon, and needing exercise anyway, maybe bicycling is a good thing. I'm all for it of course, but I'm highly amused at some of the rock-hard assumptions based on what they apparently remember from riding around with a card stuck in the spokes to make the Huffy sound more like a motorcycle...

Anyway, I'd love to go out riding as a group some time but already they're going off on the "aint gonna wear no stinking helmet" thing. I tried to approach this as calmly and tactfully as I could. And after a bit of wiseazz cracks pointed at me I laid it down: husband and I WILL NOT ride with anyone not wearing a helmet. EVER. PERIOD. That means them too. Ride all you want, but don't even expect us to go with- we're not going to be the ones trying to call 911 for a preventable head injury, trying to ride down into cell range, trying to figure out if a 4wd or a chopper can get there first....

I'm proabably going to be the bikehelmetb!tch for the rest of my career. I don't care. Back in '94, just 6 weeks before my wedding, the helmet I NEVER thought I'd need and ONLY wore because it was the law saved me from cracking my head on the street going at least 30mph (a cat ran out in front of me- not my fault, no way to predict or avoid it obviously).

One look at the junked helmet after the wreck and all I could think about was my cousin, who'd been in a coma for 6 months from a motorcycle accident at least 20 years prior. I'll cut this short by saying: HEAD INJURIES SUCK. It is NOT just the person injured that's affected- it massively changes the lives of everyone around them.

Yeah, crap happens. We take risks. But what I DON'T want is for my husband to struggle caring for me after an accident, struggle caring for my daughter, go bankrupt with medical bills, and having to tell folks: "if she'd just worn a helmet our lives would have been totally different." Helmets are friggin CHEAP compared to that kind of guilt.

Rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled programming....
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

It's about showing up.

Hold your ground. This does not prove you are a beyotch.

These people are foolish. End of story.
    Remember:
    If a brain doesn't think it is worth protecting then maybe it is right.

Idiots!

Jan 2004

Good tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr
    I WILL NOT ride with anyone not wearing a helmet. EVER. PERIOD. That means them too.
    I think you're on the right road. If you tell people calmly but firmly that you don't ride with anyone who doesn't wear a helmet (without getting emotional about it), even good friends, that should make them think. If it doesn't, maybe they don't deserve the advice.

pewpewpew Moderator
    I tell people that if they only go 10 mph or less & only ride on bike paths (NOT bike lanes) without any traffic then I'm ok with them not wearing a helmet. Although I secretly think they are stupid.

I have a friend who actually GOT a head injury while riding on the road and STILL doesn't wear a helmet consistantly. Idjiot.
    Love, Impy

Feb 2006
    It always peeves my husband off when he sees all the school kids riding without them, and worst thing is the police can only give them a slap on the wrist (warning) because they are minors.

Riding along a footpath I reckon could be more dangerous than a bike path due to all the cars that could reverse out of their driveways.

I prefer the trail to the road any day, it's darn scary with big trucks flying past and I don't exactly live in a big and busy city!

It's a pitty that helmets can be considered "uncool" I think it's cheap helmets are considered uncool the same way as cheap bikes are not as cool as dearer ones. In alot of ways though the precedent is probably set by the parents - generally one of them, I guess probably the mother (due to long hair or whatever) doesn't wear one. Like anything best to get the kids into the habit nice and early and make sure that we lead by example.

Aug 2004
    There were some pictures posted here about a year ago of some guy who went for a quick ride around the block, hit some sort of pothole or something, endoed and made a serious mess of his face and head. Do a search and see if you can find it. If so, the pictures will make the point.

Ah... found it.

She 'em this: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=111566
    Last edited by mbmojo; 05-10-2006 at 04:54 AM.

Freeriding Feline

Media

Maybe a small presentation of pics, video, whatever, will convince these people. I saw a vid of a guy doing trials, tried to hop up on a small board (not very high) went down right on his head and lost the use of his legs. He wasn't even moving, you know? Just trying to hop from a stand still. It was a long time ago that I saw that clip. No idea where it is right now...
    Good luck with your mission. It's hard dealing with foolish people.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    i'll jump on here.

I used to be really strict about the not riding with those that don't wear helmets. Then we started doing more urban rides and more people with out helmets started riding with us and I kept quite. These were good riders and friends and peer pressure I guess got to me. I didn't want to be the spoil sport nor did I want to not ride.

more recently I fixed up an old road bike as a commuter. My new office is one mile from home. I rode to work several times with out my helmet. Then a few Monday's ago a lady here was run over while riding. I started thinking about how stupid I was for not wearing my helmet. I'm an idiot too.

I also sometimes take my dog out like in that other thread.

I dug out one of my older helmets and leave it out as my "in the hood lid".

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleMainiac
    ... I started thinking about how stupid I was for not wearing my helmet. I'm an idiot too.....
    That's just it- I'm right there with you. A few weeks before my big wreck, I had a smaller really dumb curb-induced mishap out at college where I wasn't wearing helmet or gloves or anything. I was on my way to get coffee before my first class and ended up with some good road rash thanks to 30 pounds of books in my backpack. Hm, probably shouldn't ride before coffee either... anyway....

My husband- fiance at the time- chided me for not wearing a helmet, and it WAS kinda an eye-opener. So I decided I'd just wear the helmet every time even though I was still convinced *I* would never "need" it.

Then only a little while later I had this massve crashola that could easily have changed my life, my family's life, my husband and his family's life FOREVER.

Dec 2003
    So folks at my work are FINALLY deciding that with gas north of $3 a gallon, and needing exercise anyway, maybe bicycling is a good thing. I'm all for it of course, but I'm highly amused at some of the rock-hard assumptions based on what they apparently remember from riding around with a card stuck in the spokes to make the Huffy sound more like a motorcycle...

Anyway, I'd love to go out riding as a group some time but already they're going off on the "aint gonna wear no stinking helmet" thing. I tried to approach this as calmly and tactfully as I could. And after a bit of wiseazz cracks pointed at me I laid it down: husband and I WILL NOT ride with anyone not wearing a helmet. EVER. PERIOD. That means them too. Ride all you want, but don't even expect us to go with- we're not going to be the ones trying to call 911 for a preventable head injury, trying to ride down into cell range, trying to figure out if a 4wd or a chopper can get there first....

I'm proabably going to be the bikehelmetb!tch for the rest of my career. I don't care. Back in '94, just 6 weeks before my wedding, the helmet I NEVER thought I'd need and ONLY wore because it was the law saved me from cracking my head on the street going at least 30mph (a cat ran out in front of me- not my fault, no way to predict or avoid it obviously).

One look at the junked helmet after the wreck and all I could think about was my cousin, who'd been in a coma for 6 months from a motorcycle accident at least 20 years prior. I'll cut this short by saying: HEAD INJURIES SUCK. It is NOT just the person injured that's affected- it massively changes the lives of everyone around them.

Yeah, crap happens. We take risks. But what I DON'T want is for my husband to struggle caring for me after an accident, struggle caring for my daughter, go bankrupt with medical bills, and having to tell folks: "if she'd just worn a helmet our lives would have been totally different." Helmets are friggin CHEAP compared to that kind of guilt.

Rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled programming....
    What happened to the cat?

May 2006
    I will jump on the bandwagon with you on this. I work for TX Highway Patrol. Just a few weeks ago, one of our area troopers was on a "retreat" that this millionaire puts on a couple of times a yr, to "treat" the troopers for their hard work. They were encouraged to bring their mountain bikes, as this guy has some awsome trails around his place. The trooper took a tumble, and his helmet was toast. It was VERY clear, from looking at the helmet, what this guy's skull would have looked like, had he not been wearing a helmet.

A couple of yrs ago, we had a guy take a spill off the side of one of the trails I ride on, at Palo Duro Canyon (there are places where there are pretty deep ravines off the side of the trails...I've endoed into one, myself...though, fortunately, I wadded up into a crumpled "V" in a little nook, tangled up in my bike, before tumbling any further.). Stupid, stupid man did not have a helmet on, and, predictably, he was killed. Pretty sobering.

The first few times I wore my helmet around the neighborhood, I felt pretty silly, but now I feel "naked" without it on. You just get used to it...just like the bike gloves, shorts, jerseys, etc. Besides, when I hit the trails, I'm not trying to look pretty. I'm there to have fun. Fun isn't always pretty.

Cracker-magnon
    Good for you, and hopefully they will figure it out. You are also fighting a small town "those kind of things don't happen here" mentality that I find is pretty well entrenched in the Ellensburg area. You may want to mention the fact that there is also a problem with kids (not just kids, but mostly IMHO) in trucks on country roads, that think it is fun to run a cyclist off the road. In town I have seen an increase in the last few weeks of people (adults and children) that wear helmets wrong, either backwards or just tillted way back on their heads and too loose.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    I've broken a few helmets while riding. I always wear one. Just wish they could protect from neck injuries.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    DH owns a bike shop and has had a few parents come in for a helmet for their children. They ride up to the store w/ their kids. Dh notices they are not wearing a helmet and asks about it. They say they don't need one and think they are silly. Hmmm...that's a good lesson to teach your children. At least they are protecting their children, but the reason why seems a little off. To me, it seems parents who don't wear helmets are teaching their kids they need one because they are young and less experienced, not because of the risks that can not always be avoided.

When I was young, no one wore helmets. I remember one person who wore one biking to school, she stands out in my memory because no one wore them back then. Now, I can't imagine not wearing one. My friends have resisted wearing a helmet, but to participate in our group rides (from the store), there is a strict hemlet policy so they have changed their ways

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    ...You are also fighting a small town "those kind of things don't happen here" mentality that I find is pretty well entrenched in the Ellensburg area.....
    Holy schmoly, someone from HERE!?! Just saw the pic from Menastash on yer blog... I have a 7 month old baby so I don't ride as much as I used to, but email me some time if you're up to turning cranks with a new face and hubby and/or I will try to make it. In years past XC skiing and dog mushing/skijoring was winter bliss as well.

Cracker-magnon
    Holy schmoly, someone from HERE!?! Just saw the pic from Menastash on yer blog... I have a 7 month old baby so I don't ride as much as I used to, but email me some time if you're up to turning cranks with a new face and hubby and/or I will try to make it. In years past XC skiing and dog mushing/skijoring was winter bliss as well.
    Yeah, you can't get away from this place. We lived here all through the mid-late 90's for school, then went to L.A. for a while. I jumped all over a job opening here and had to come back. Do you and your husband work here in town?
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ruralakay
    The first few times I wore my helmet around the neighborhood, I felt pretty silly, but now I feel "naked" without it on. You just get used to it...just like the bike gloves, shorts, jerseys, etc. Besides, when I hit the trails, I'm not trying to look pretty. I'm there to have fun. Fun isn't always pretty.

My thoughts exactly. I'm on the trail to get sweaty, dirty and have a BLAST!!! Which of course I do...as well as come home with some new bruises from crashing a few times. At first I was kind of hesitant to get a helmet (for like a split second) and then I remembered where I would be riding....among rocks and trees and other non moving, hard/sharp objects. I went out riding a few weekends ago where the trail goes through a pretty dense area of forest. Tree branches were hitting my helmet and as I'm listening to the RAP TAP TAP, I said to myself "thank god for helmets!"

The only time I don't enforce the helmet rule with my daughter is if she is riding in the driveway, which is dirt. I'm rethinking this now...after the stories and those pix ew!!!
    When we ride on the road we BOTH wear one. I always ride with my helmet and gear. I'm just used to it as part of my biking routine. My brother just recently joined the bandwagon. He still thinks he looks like a dork in his helmet but at least he isn't getting the look of disgust from his younger sister OR a cracked skull on the trail

Oh...ya...and I was out riding last weekend and as I was getting back to the car to head home, these riders were obviously waiting for another person to join their party and I heard under their breath (among some other comments about my bike/bike rack/car) about my helmet. None of them were wearing one...but with the other comments I heard...I don't think they had much upstairs to protect in the first place. Gotta love haters/snobs!!!

Dec 2005
    Ask them how much the education in their head is worth.

If that doesn't work, ask them how much their memories, independence and identities are worth.

Bike to the Bone...
    I think it's dumb to ride without helmets. I agree completely on you with this. Unfortunately, most of us think we're kinda inmortal and don't need protection because we're not doing that big huck or something foolish... I think one only needs to look at a cracked helmet to know they're built for a reason and that they work.

Team Cspine

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Hand them MY story...

About 3 weeks ago I was in Moab with a bunch of folks from work in Denver and some old friends from Santa Fe and I took what should have been a minor crash on Amassa Back but in some weird way, I tucked but didn't get to roll because my helmet landed on a rock about 2 feet long which kept me from rolling.

Needless to say my spiffy Giro (thanks Giro!) took most of the force and broke in several places but when I augered in I cracked the C7 & T1 vertebrae. O yippee.

So after a trip to the Moab ER, a learjet ride back to Denver at 1am, a helo flight to the Denver Health trauma center and finally surgey to fuse my vertebrae on April 24th, I'm going to be ok about 3 MONTHS from now. Today was my first day back at the office but it was only a 1/2 day and will be for a couple more weeks. After joking with some folks around the office, we figure my trip to Moab will cost an easy $50k and that's WITH a helmet on. I guess you should ask anyone who doesn't want to wear a helmet what it's worth to them? A massive hospital bill, no income and possibly being incapacitated for the rest of their life? Fortunately I have good health insurance and some short term disability insurance also but not everyone does.

Sometimes sh!t happens but you damn sure never know when! I'm lucky because the neurosurgeon told me they were going to fix me the same way they fix people with herniated discs so my surgery was a pretty standard operation and I'll be good as new eventually. Easy for me to say.

Hopefully the picture of my neck where they installed the rods and screws uploaded ok to gross everyone out but if it didn't just email and I'll send it right over

Check out my nifty reverse mullet to! If that doesn't scare them nothing will!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bulletbob; 05-10-2006 at 09:19 PM.
    Sorry what?

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    What happened to the cat?
    Cat squalled and ran off, and I cursed it and every one of it's kind a hundred and one ways to Sunday as I was getting drug into the ER.

I got the last laugh though. I now own 3 German Shorthaired Pointers, which means my house is the ultimate kitty death zone should one dare come inside the fence(s).

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    I am having this exact same issue with one of the guys at work right now. I showed him that thread on here (of the guy's bashed up face) and he said "That don't matter to me, I'm still not gonna wear one." So I'm of the mind that he obviously has nothing to protect by wearing a helmet.

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

mtbr member
    I ride with a bunch of guys from work, and occasionally we get an idiot who doesn't want to wear the helmet - cause it doesn't look "cool"...

Our policy is - no helmet, no riding with us.

I think the best quote I heard was from my favorite Bike Shopo - "Its better to wear the helmet then drool in a cup for the rest of your life" :-)

May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Mynx
    I'm on the trail to get sweaty, dirty and have a BLAST!!! Which of course I do...as well as come home with some new bruises from crashing a few times.
    Yeah...the first time I rode with "the guys", I still had my makeup on (we left work early that day). We were riding in 100+ degree temperatures. I thought, "This is for the birds!" and proceeded, at our first rest stop, to pull a baby wipe soaked in witch hazel out of the baggie I'd put several into, and wiped all my makeup off. Much more comfy!! The sweat kept mixing with my makeup and stinging my eyes. I think they actually respected the fact that I was not too "prissy" to be overly concerned about my appearance. It was obvious I was there to ride, not primp.

BTW...those baby wipes soaked in witch hazel...I got that idea from some "beauty expert" in a magazine once...great for taking off makeup...even on the eyes. AND...as it turns out, a baggie full of them is a GREAT item to have in your hydration pack or first aid kit. That day, I took a couple of pretty yucky tumbles, and my knees and shins and elbows were skinned to pieces. They kept oozing blood down into my socks and shoes. Turns out, those wipes were great for keeping the wounds clean and (somewhat) sanitized (witch hazel is an antiseptic, much like alcohol, but doesn't burn like alcohol). And it's very portable, in that form. Just a free suggestion for whomever wants it.

The only time I don't enforce the helmet rule with my daughter is if she is riding in the driveway, which is dirt. I'm rethinking this now...after the stories and those pix ew!!!
    He looked like he could have benefitted from a full-faced helmet, actually! I'm just glad he's okay.

Oh...ya...and I was out riding last weekend and as I was getting back to the car to head home, these riders were obviously waiting for another person to join their party and I heard under their breath (among some other comments about my bike/bike rack/car) about my helmet. None of them were wearing one...but with the other comments I heard...I don't think they had much upstairs to protect in the first place. Gotta love haters/snobs!!!
    Vanity serves no purpose on a trail, if you are a serious rider. Besides, I'd rather "look like a dork" now, with a helmet, than to be incapable of vanity issues, from a serious head injury. When you're brain damaged, suddenly, vanity doesn't seem so important. Oh...and scars look far worse than helmet hair (and THEY are permanent)!!

May 2006
    Yow! Thank God, you are on the mend!

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletbob

Check out my nifty reverse mullet to! If that doesn't scare them nothing will!
    I think the guy with a straw in his brain has you beat, but only by a little. Those staples are grusome.
    We all get it in the end.

Team Cspine

the funny part is...

...they took the staples out last week and it was virtually painless. Damnest thing!
    Sorry what?

Tom

Mar 2004

more fuel

Wet steel latticed bridge, 20-25 mph. For some reason my brain did not think to stop and walk across the bridge until it was too late.

I tried to stay up, but the rear wheel went out and I rammed into a large metal beam head and shoulder first.

Major shoulder pain, and some weird lacerations on the top of the shoulder, no head damage whatsoever. I refused a ride to the hospital and got a lift home from a friend.

No doubt in my mind that without the helmet I would have been severely damaged. All I have is some minor scarring on my shoulder to remind of it thankfully.

Product engineer
    Youre trying to protect, the brain that isnt smart enough to protect itself, I say let nature take its course!
    FLIGHT BIKES bikes by Colorado riders.
    Like us on FaceBook!

Feb 2005
    People who ride without helmets have a name: organ donors. The hubby and I used to ride street bikes (ie: crotch rockets) and were amazed at some of the idiots who would ride through traffic at 110mph in nothing more than jeans and a t-shirt. In 3 years of riding, 5 people we knew became organ donors. Mountain bikes and road bikes are no different (OK, so you're not going 110, but your skull will bounce the same way). What kills me are the parents who make their kids wear helmets, but they don't wear one themselves.

mtbr dismember

Saved me yesterday!

My helmet saved me yesterday. I still have a headache and perhaps a mild concussion. But I'm alive and unscathed after hitting my head on a rock. I felt pretty dorky the first time I wore a helmet but that feeling passed very quickly. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=191275

May 2006

Needed a helmet walking the dog

I'm a big fan of bike helmets. The importance of protecting one's head became particularly evident to me about a month ago when I slipped on patch of algae on the sidewalk while walking my dog (it had rained a lot here in the Bay Area and there was a constant runoff I guess, hence the algae)...At any rate, it was like stepping on ice, my feet went out from under me and I landed smack on the back of my head.....fortunately a woman was walking across the street (using a walker) and came to my aid....I don't remember any of it, just a lot of blood, then nothing. She called 911, and I was transported to the ER via ambulance....5 hours later, after a CT scan (clear fortunately) and a bunch of staples in my scalp (in two spots)...I was allowed to go home.

If I hit my head that badly, just slipping while walking, I shudder to think about the possibilities of falling off my bike....today in fact I took at mtb tumble (at low speed) and landed on my back and shoulder.....When I see folks riding on the trails without a helmet I shake my head, one rock and they could be history....even at low speeds!!!

PS-the bills for my little ER trip were nearly $7,000.....covered mostly, thank god, by insurance....

MTB Rider

Thick Skull ????

You may think that people who won't wear helmets have thick skulls. The truth is that it's quite ironic that their skulls are quite ****-sapien as opposed to Neanderthal. If they had neanderthal skulls, they would not end up with cracked skulls after losing control and crashing head first into a tree.

This is what it takes and it is quite a shame. But some people are just too cool and too concerned about how they look in a helmet to be worried about how they might look it a quadraplegic's wheelchair and moving around by blowing into a straw.

I've personally broken one helmet. I was all alone (except with my dog) riding down a gravel hill when my front skewer popped loose to reveal a loose front hub and the wheel went crazy. I awoke to my dog licking my face. I shudder to think whether I would have woken up if I had not been wearing the helmet.

BTW, the visor of the helmet had a great second effect. The thing hit and popped down in front of my eyes providing additional protection. ;-)

HELMETS, HELMETS, HELMETS!!!! If you don't realize this, you're a jackass.
    Last edited by willtsmith_nwi; 05-16-2006 at 06:53 PM.

L1MEY
    I wear my helmet on every single ride, whether it's road, mountain or pottering down the street. I've craced one, and my hubby has completely wrecked two, so I'm not taking any chances. Neither do I take chances with my safety on my motorcycle... at the very least I'm wearing a full face helmet, gloves, an armoured jacket, jeans and boots, even though the summer temperature here in Vegas can be 115+. I see way too many people riding motorcycles in T-shirts, shorts and trainers... I may be cooking in my gear but at least I won't lose all my skin if I crash.

- Jen (does the Safety Dance )
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    BTW, the visor of the helmet had a great second effect. The thing hit and popped down in front of my eyes providing additional protection. ;-)
    Yeah, a visor protected my nose and teeth from getting broke when I landed face first off a mule up in the mountains a few years ago. As it was I had some interesting colors around my eyes for a week and a tiny perminant divit out of one nostril.

A couple years later I did a poker ride with the same owner and another couple, and the other gal got pitched off her mule onto her head... but no helmet. I had to ride hard and fast out of a steep canyon to get help since there was no cell phone reception, and when the first aid guys got to her she thought Reagan was president. They took her to the hospital but she was OK.

Even after these two incidents, the owner "aint wearin' no stinkin' helmet" while riding horses and mules. That's yet another sport I'm not touching without a lid ever again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just had a crash earlier today and thank God for my helmet. It got cracked instead of my head. As it was I had a headache for about 30 minutes, but no loss of consciousness or dizziness. Of couse we finished the ride.

Point is, I have never planned a crash, it is just something that happens. If I always knew when I were to crash I would only wear the helmet that day. Helmet=cheap insurance for the head.

Rita

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I remember not wearing my helment till a few years back i endoed on my bike. Luckily, i landed on my shoulders and rolled off unhurt, but that scared the sh!t out of me, and i started wearing a helmet.
    A few months ago, in when i was caught in heavy rain and was trying to speed home (not a good idea), i came around a blind corner and saw a dog standing right there (what the hell was he doing anyways). I slammed on the brakes, which caused the front wheel to lock up and the bike started sliding out. I tried to correct it by pushing my weight the other way, overcorrected, flew off my bike and landed headfirst. Cracked my cheapass $10 helmet to pieces, but i was ok, besides an aching shoulder. I've now 'upgraded' to a $30 helmet. that accident made me thankful for always wearing a helmet, instead of becoming bedridden for life.
    I also hate it when my dad always tells me to put on my helmet when i ride, even though he doesn't have to tell me, but he doesn't put it on himself. He can barely ride the bike properly, but his pride must tell him that helmets are uncool.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    its called evoloution, survival of the fittest, if they dont have enough sense to wear a helmet, they wont be around long enough to matter. hold your ground, no helmet no ride

Members who have read this thread: 0