Helmet replacement time?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helmet replacement time?

Besides being involved in a crash, is there a time when the helmet should be replaced? I've had mine for about 2 years now. Bell Super.

mtbr member
    I'd say about 5 years, I remember seeing this somewhere for ski helmets, should be the same for bike. Of course it depends if you ride 5 or 150 days per season but that's just a ballpark number, has to do with weather exposure somehow affecting the helmet materials

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Question is, what constitutes a bad enough crash? I've endod a few times and rolled down the hill a time or two. Head may have scuffed the ground. It may not have. Helmet looks great. No bad scuffs or cracks.

Sent from my iPhone while my Heli plays with the gophers

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
    Question is, what constitutes a bad enough crash? I've endod a few times and rolled down the hill a time or two. Head may have scuffed the ground. It may not have. Helmet looks great. No bad scuffs or cracks.

Sent from my iPhone while my Heli plays with the gophers
    It's much easier to tell on a bicycle helmet as opposed to a moto helmet which uses similar guidelines. The EPS material is exposed more so on a bicycle helmet so if you were to see compression of the EPS, that would be an indicator the helmet received a significant impact. A dead space or void under the polystyrene shell would be indicative, as well. Once it's compressed in a spot, that compression point or area will no longer serve it's intended purpose. Moto's are typically a 5 year recommended period for replacement but again, this depends on a lot of variables. The things that attack and possibly affect EPS are things like sweat, hair products, sunlight/heat. All the things that "I believe" come more with bicycling (Intensive riding like we most all do). One thing I do is periodically dunk my helmets in lightly soapy water, rinse, and let dry thoroughly to help keep the crud that might have an effect from building up. I store them in their bags, as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Even in a small crash the polycarbonate shell can flex into the EPS foam and then rebound. leaving that spot in the helmet compromised. It will leave a gap between the foam and shell in that spot...not something you want. You can push on the shell and try and feel if there is a soft spot.
    I also try not to leave my helmet in the hot car...that can't be good for it.