Helmet replacement programs a rip off?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helmet replacement programs a rip off?

I hit a branch today while going under it and the outer shell got scratched. The impact wasn't tremendous but I felt it.

I was wearing my Giro Hex helmet which I got for $50 shipped.

I called Giro and they said they can give me 30% off of retail. The retail for the Hex is $85 so I would end up paying $59.50. Which is still more than I paid for it. Plus I would have to ship the old one back.

The whole program seems very deceiving to me. I'm not asking or expecting them to replace the helmet for free, but retailers never sell helmet at retail price so the 30% off is mediocre at best.

Has anyone had any good experiences with such replacement programs?

I Have Cookies
    No for the replacement of the whole thing but they rock when you need new replacement pads for inside! they just send them for free!! Sorry about the Noggin......
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    No for the replacement of the whole thing but they rock when you need new replacement pads for inside! they just send them for free!! Sorry about the Noggin......
    At least they do that I guess. Trek wanted $20 to send me replacement pads. What a joke!

Yeah, I'll Ride That
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    I hit a branch today while going under it and the outer shell got scratched. The impact wasn't tremendous but I felt it.
    Scratched? It's a mountain bike helmet - it should be a little scratched. On the other hand, I've had great experiences with helmet replacement programs when I actually break or damage the helmet to where it can't be used any longer. (ie. after a serious crash) What is the helmet companies incentive to replace a scratched product?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carneyam
    Scratched? It's a mountain bike helmet - it should be a little scratched. On the other hand, I've had great experiences with helmet replacement programs when I actually break or damage the helmet to where it can't be used any longer. (ie. after a serious crash) What is the helmet companies incentive to replace a scratched product?
    The helmet that several scratches. I'm not bothered or concerned about them.

My concern is that the foam might have suffered internal damage which is not visible.

Since the discount offered by Giro is still more than buying the helmet somewhere else, exactly how did you benefit from the program?

I Have Cookies
    The helmet that several scratches. I'm not bothered or concerned about them.

My concern is that the foam might have suffered internal damage which is not visible.

Since the discount offered by Giro is still more than buying the helmet somewhere else, exactly how did you benefit from the program?
    Then you should do a "Helmet Dissection" to determine the extent of the damage further....
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Rip off? No, they are very explicit in the statement of x% of MSRP.
    It isn't their problem that helmets don't go for MSRP.

Don't like it? Just buy from a retailer.
    Stop whining. You are NOT a victim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Rip off? No, they are very explicit in the statement of x% of MSRP.
    It isn't their problem that helmets don't go for MSRP.

Don't like it? Just buy from a retailer.
    Stop whining. You are NOT a victim.
    So much anger!! lol

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So much anger!! lol
    It's true... I'm a rageaholic! I just can't live without rageahol!

AZ
    banned
    FWIW , if you didnt ring your bell , get knocked off your bike , hit your head hard enough to lose control etc. I wouldnt worry about replacing the helmet .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    It's true... I'm a rageaholic! I just can't live without rageahol!

Lay off the roids cowboy. They aint making you any prettier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    FWIW , if you didnt ring your bell , get knocked off your bike , hit your head hard enough to lose control etc. I wouldnt worry about replacing the helmet .
    Good point.

mtbr member
    some sort of offer of a discount is a nice gesture.. lots of helmets go for msrp, just not overstocked mid grade ones.

its better than being told to go f yourself when you crack a week old 250 dollar carbon helmet or something i guess.

im a big fan of overstocked mid grade helmets for just that reason though not a big deal when you mess them all up.

Old man on a bike
    The 30% off retail thing sounds like the one time I inquired as to a crash replacement policy on a helmet, (it might have been 40% now that I think about it) but like you, just shopping can get you a better overall deal. I didn't dissect that helmet, either...wonder if it would be obvious as to how compromised it was from the crash, though. I smacked mine hard enough that time to just buy a closeout deal, which is the way to go with helmets afaic.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    You're supposed to duck, Dic.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

Currently in Exile
    It's only a rip off if someone conned you into paying extra for it. Last time I took advantage of Giro's crash replacement program I took care of it from the LBS where I purchased the helmet. They took care of everything for me and I only had to pay the substantially disctounted replacement price. And no, it was not a highly discounted closeout helmet. Had it been, I wouldn't have even considered the crash replacement program.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    At least they do that I guess. Trek wanted $20 to send me replacement pads. What a joke!
    Yeah, what a joke. 'Cause obviously replacement pads grown on trees in everyones' backyard and all you have to do is walk out and harvest them.

Trek has overheads (CS staff time being chewed up by calls, inventory/warehousing postage) to cover, it's not just a matter of pressing a magic button and having a exactly the right pad appear on your doorstep.

If you build up a good relationship with your LBS, you might be able to get pads for free. Tone down the sense of entitlement a bit and build up a relationship.

mtbr member
    So you purchase a helmet below retail, then you do not like the companies policy for crash replacement (30% below MSRP) so you call it a ripoff?

With that logic, I am not sure why you bother wearing a helmet.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Look at it this way.. you can get an 09 or 10 version instead of that 08 closeout ...

course I just bought an 08 closeout.. but when I bust it, I'll get a current one at about the same price
    mike

mtbr member
    The knuckleheads that are accusing me of whinning need to first plug their heads out of their behinds and properly read the thread and it's title before attempting to be bashful. Sometimes you guys sound like bitter old grannys.

There was a question mark in the thread title. In case you're not sure what I'm referring to, it looks something like this "?". It was basically a question if you thought the program is a rip off or not. A simple yes or no, or providing some feedback on the program would have been sufficient. You would be as timid and polite as a ***** cat in person. So might as well carry out that character on the forum as well.

mtbr member
    you're pretty angry yourself there

breathe in.. breathe out!

Always klingin on
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot

Wax on... Wax Off....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot

Haha not at all...gotta be harsh on the punks sometimes you know!

Always klingin on
    The knuckleheads that are accusing me of whinning need to first plug their heads out of their behinds and properly read the thread and it's title before attempting to be bashful. Sometimes you guys sound like bitter old grannys.

There was a question mark in the thread title. In case you're not sure what I'm referring to, it looks something like this "?". It was basically a question if you thought the program is a rip off or not. A simple yes or no, or providing some feedback on the program would have been sufficient. You would be as timid and polite as a ***** cat in person. So might as well carry out that character on the forum as well.
    What do you think?

I used to buy the best damn helmet I could afford. Top of the line was all I wanted. Then came the eventual fall and splat, it was gone. Like you, I discovered the replacement program was often a half full glass.

Questions to ask are:
    how long did you have the now broken helmet.
    is the replacement the exact same model.
    is the replacement cheaper someplace else

I ended up not purchasing expensive helmets as I couldn't justify the cost. Now I go for the $30-40 helmets and spend the extra cash on tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blandy_McNugget
    What do you think?

I used to buy the best damn helmet I could afford. Top of the line was all I wanted. Then came the eventual fall and splat, it was gone. Like you, I discovered the replacement program was often a half full glass.

Questions to ask are:
    how long did you have the now broken helmet.
    is the replacement the exact same model.
    is the replacement cheaper someplace else

I ended up not purchasing expensive helmets as I couldn't justify the cost. Now I go for the $30-40 helmets and spend the extra cash on tires.
    Only cheap helmets from now on.

mtbr member
    Only cheap helmets from now on.

Sure, cheap helmets pass the EXACT same safety standards as expensive ones.

Personally, I want a light helmet, with good airflow. Do not give a sh!t how it looks, or how much money it costs.

EDIT: Fit is the most important feature - if it is free, but doesnt fit properly walk away.....
    Last edited by 006_007; 01-15-2010 at 07:36 AM.

mtbr member
    I hit it the same way, the top part, on a branch that I saw too late and could only tilt my head down. I didn't buzz me, but felt the hit really good... later I noticed I had dented the thing. I bought a new helmet on the drive back home, then dissected the old one. The foam looked the same on that spot than it did everywhere else... no idea if it 'had' to be replaced, but oh well...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    a scratch should be nothing to worry about.

on the other hand, i frown upon helmet manf's that market this helmet replacement program by offering the helmet at a higher price than the market price. they are WELL AWARE of the prices that anybody can get them at, the prices are probably even cheaper at retail stores such as dicks or models.

when i buy a helmet i buy for lightness and ventilation tho.

Members who have read this thread: 0