Helmet with removable chin bar - Bell Super 2R still best execution of this?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,278

    Helmet with removable chin bar - Bell Super 2R still best execution of this?

    Looking to replace my lid in the next several months and as I get older/think more about the actual risk I take doing 20mph past huge oak trees, I'd like my next helmet to be ready for long climbs followed up by long, fast descents.

    Anything else out there or Bell Super 2R still the best stab anyone has taken at this design?

  2. #2
    Robertson
    Reputation: rpearce1475's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    874
    There's a few other companies that will be releasing removable chin guard helmets at the end of this year/start of next one. Uvex, I think MET is making a removable chin guard version of the parachute

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Looking to replace my lid in the next several months and as I get older/think more about the actual risk I take doing 20mph past huge oak trees, I'd like my next helmet to be ready for long climbs followed up by long, fast descents.

    Anything else out there or Bell Super 2R still the best stab anyone has taken at this design?
    I have one and love it,
    I have not had to test the chin guard in a crash, thank god. but it's strong. Feels good and love the fact I can remove it do a nice ride up to the top of some of our DH sections, throw it on and run down the mountain. Remove it and climb back up.
    Too Many .

  4. #4
    May contain nuts
    Reputation: Haggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,328
    What's the verdict on MIPS? Makes an already expensive "single crash lid" even more expensive...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,278
    Ok thanks. Very well may end up with the Bell because I've run their helmets for trail and DH for a long time and a Bell helmet has saved my life before.

    But! Competition is a good thing IMO so was just wondering. That Met helmet does look awesome, might need to wait til it's out to compare!!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,278
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    ...I think MET is making a removable chin guard version of the parachute
    FWIW, I emailed MET and asked specifically about this. They responded touting the ASTM certs of the MET over the Super 2R and made no mention of any plans to release a removable chin bar option.

    Bummer. That helmet looks really rad and it looks so close to be a removable option! I am going to price hunt for a Super 2R then and probably order within the next month or so. If you hear anything more concrete about a removable chin bar MET, post up!!!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    FWIW, I emailed MET and asked specifically about this. They responded touting the ASTM certs of the MET over the Super 2R and made no mention of any plans to release a removable chin bar option.

    Bummer. That helmet looks really rad and it looks so close to be a removable option! I am going to price hunt for a Super 2R then and probably order within the next month or so. If you hear anything more concrete about a removable chin bar MET, post up!!!
    The MET isn't much warmer than a 1/2 dome to begin with. I find it's actually better ventilated when moving then some of the other high end helmets I've ridden.
    I ride on the East coast with the humidity that we have and the only thing I missed was using a water bottle easily. But even that wasn't a big deal since my newest frame doesn't have a WB mount anyway.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  8. #8
    AOK
    AOK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,073
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    The MET isn't much warmer than a 1/2 dome to begin with. I find it's actually better ventilated when moving then some of the other high end helmets I've ridden.
    Agree with this (I own a Parachute).

    There was a line on Pinkbike about removable chin bar on the Parachute in their Eurobike coverage a while back. But it seems to be a misprint since I have seen nothing about it since from any other Eurobike / Interbike coverage.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,658
    The Super 2r is a great helmet, the 2015 are on clearance now with the new colors coming out. Run about $150 for a leftover. I got mine 3 weeks ago for $140.

    Bell Super 2R MIPS Equipped Helmet from BikeBling.com

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Saul Lumikko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,801
    I have the Super 2R and it's so well ventilated I rarely bother to remove the chin guard. I might feel different in very hot climate with extended climbs and long descents, but for me the helmet would be fine even with a fixed chin guard like the Met Parachute.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    The MET isn't much warmer than a 1/2 dome to begin with. I find it's actually better ventilated when moving then some of the other high end helmets I've ridden.
    I ride on the East coast with the humidity that we have and the only thing I missed was using a water bottle easily. But even that wasn't a big deal since my newest frame doesn't have a WB mount anyway.
    I wear a Camelback and drinking with my Super 2r is a little harder than normal. I find going over the chin bar is easier than going under. It's a small issue that I can live with if it saves my face in a crash.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    The Super 2r is a great helmet, the 2015 are on clearance now with the new colors coming out. Run about $150 for a leftover. I got mine 3 weeks ago for $140.

    Bell Super 2R MIPS Equipped Helmet from BikeBling.com
    I bought two from these guys 2 weeks ago as well. Came with MIPS, fits and works great. I bought one for my son (small) and one for me (medium). Both were already crash tested, not hard, but enough to appreciate the chin guard. The helmet is well ventilated and sits nicely on our heads. Taking the guard off for the uphill grind is nice, makes it easy to use waterbottle.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,278
    Ya dudes, I got one from Bike Bling as well. They actually oversold the old stock, so they sent me a 2016 model for the same price. Kudos to them.

    Just had my first ride in this lid. Man I just loved it. Had a couple thousand foot climb on a combo of gravel and singletrack. Mounted up the chinbar at the top, ripped down a really awesome trail in the area that you can reach 25mph++ on. Felt super good with the full face protection. Stoked on the purchase is an understatement. Can't wait to use it more.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Ya dudes, I got one from Bike Bling as well. They actually oversold the old stock, so they sent me a 2016 model for the same price. Kudos to them.

    Just had my first ride in this lid. Man I just loved it. Had a couple thousand foot climb on a combo of gravel and singletrack. Mounted up the chinbar at the top, ripped down a really awesome trail in the area that you can reach 25mph++ on. Felt super good with the full face protection. Stoked on the purchase is an understatement. Can't wait to use it more.
    I bought mine from Bike Bling a couple of months ago and they said the same thing, oversold so I got a 2016 model. You think they would have fixed this months ago but I guess not. Take advantage of it while you can, great helmet.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Matty7787's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9
    Love my super 2r. Already tested it on a 7 foot fall into a creek. Sore knees and neck, but should have been way worse. I agree that it is well vented, but it is nice to leave behind the chin bar on XC or easy rides.

  16. #16
    MTB SOCAL
    Reputation: yangpei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Ok thanks. Very well may end up with the Bell because I've run their helmets for trail and DH for a long time and a Bell helmet has saved my life before.

    But! Competition is a good thing IMO so was just wondering. That Met helmet does look awesome, might need to wait til it's out to compare!!
    I recently picked up a Super 2R MIPS. It has quickly become my favorite mtn bike helmet. It is very comfortable to wear (I also have a MET Parachute, which never fit my head well). Depending on your head size, lots of deals left on 2015 Super 2R's (the 2015 colors / designs look better to me than the 2016). I actually returned my 2016 MIPS I got on sale ($150) to pay full price for a 2015 MIPS ($220) because I liked the way it looked better.
    Kokopelli Racing

    "Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,278
    KAPOW! Some great alternatives popping up. Still loving my Super 2R but when it's up for replacement I'll definitely be checking these out as well:

    Leatt Convertible Full Face Helmet - Crankworx Whistler 2016 - Pinkbike

    Giro Switchblade Helmet - First Look: Crankworx Whistler 2016 - Pinkbike

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    KAPOW! Some great alternatives popping up. Still loving my Super 2R but when it's up for replacement I'll definitely be checking these out as well:

    Leatt Convertible Full Face Helmet - Crankworx Whistler 2016 - Pinkbike

    Giro Switchblade Helmet - First Look: Crankworx Whistler 2016 - Pinkbike
    Liking the Switchblade!

Similar Threads

  1. Bell Super helmet questions
    By borabora in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2015, 05:22 PM
  2. Bell Super 2R chin bar on a Bell Super 2?
    By Crymnik in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-02-2015, 01:54 PM
  3. Bell Super 2R helmet
    By jsalas2 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2014, 08:57 AM
  4. Bell super 2R helmet, where?
    By Loll in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-24-2014, 11:51 PM
  5. Bell Super Helmet
    By in the trees in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 01-30-2014, 01:07 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.