Helmet Recommendations for Downhill?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    43

    Helmet Recommendations for Downhill?

    What are your thoughts on DOT approved helmets vs. full face bike helmets for downhill? Is there much of a difference in protection?

  2. #2
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,125
    You mean regular helmets compared to full face helmets? If that's it then there is a lot of difference.

    FF helmets cover the entire head and give chin protection, essential for those "oh shi*" situations in which you faceplant. The disadvantages are weight and ventilation

    Almost everyone will recommend Troylee Designs helmets because of their protection, comfort and ventilation, but that's just if your pocket can afford it.

    I recommend the Giro Remedy line, the Azonics and some 661's.

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    You mean regular helmets compared to full face helmets? If that's it then there is a lot of difference.

    FF helmets cover the entire head and give chin protection, essential for those "oh shi*" situations in which you faceplant. The disadvantages are weight and ventilation

    Almost everyone will recommend Troylee Designs helmets because of their protection, comfort and ventilation, but that's just if your pocket can afford it.

    I recommend the Giro Remedy line, the Azonics and some 661's.
    I meant the difference between CSCP and Dot/Snell approved helmets. For example, the difference between the TLD D2 and the SE. One is bicycle specific and the other is a moto X helmet. Is the protection that much better with the SE to warrant the extra cost, weight, heat?

  4. #4
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,741
    I asked Bell about that after buying a Bellistic. The ff bike helmets are subject to the same standards as xc helmets, just cover more of your head. DOT/Snell standards are tested at higher speeds, I think its 35 mph for bikes, 60 or 70 for moto helmets. It seems ff bike helmets might vary a lot on how much protection you actually get.

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    I asked Bell about that after buying a Bellistic. The ff bike helmets are subject to the same standards as xc helmets, just cover more of your head. DOT/Snell standards are tested at higher speeds, I think its 35 mph for bikes, 60 or 70 for moto helmets. It seems ff bike helmets might vary a lot on how much protection you actually get.
    I currently have a Bellistic. The lower part that protects the jaw seems pretty flexible and weak. The helmet does not feel as sturdy as a moto helmet and is not that much lighter. I question how well it would protect if impacting a rock at high speed.

  6. #6
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,741
    Quote Originally Posted by fastNdirty
    I currently have a Bellistic. The lower part that protects the jaw seems pretty flexible and weak. The helmet does not feel as sturdy as a moto helmet and is not that much lighter. I question how well it would protect if impacting a rock at high speed.
    Bellistic, 2 lbs Mid-line fiberglass Bell moto helmet, 3.5 lbs. High-end, about 3 lbs.

    I'm just a recreational rider, if I was racing dh or going really fast/big I'd look for something with better protection than the Bellistic, just my opinion... Check out what dh racers use...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    199
    Garcia was riding Bellistic for quite long time. He is fine so...
    Ok. We was riding bit of a nice track. Friend (we all had bellistics) went down fast, jumped out and flied to high/to short to made it to the good landing. Fork took all it could (150mm) and he hit the ground hard (head first). I was really scared! I ran to see if hes ok, and he almost was (look of his face was really freaking when he started to move). For me it was a good test of a Bellistic 2006. Helmet did allright so iam still using mine with confidence.
    BTW Friend did more crashes, his helmet looks used (lots of scratches) but its not broken or smth.
    I do like TLDs, who doesnt but iam happy with my bellistic (and i know its xc a like helmet).
    Last edited by gruczniak; 07-24-2006 at 01:22 AM.

  8. #8
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,950
    www.sixsixone.com

    non dot approved will be allright for you
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.