Helmet Recommendations...- Mtbr.com
    Short-Change-Hero

Helmet Recommendations...

Yes I have looked and taken some recommendations from the threads that I have found but my preferred shop really only sells Bell and Giro helmets.
    I want to keep the purchase under $90 if at all possible and know that helmet fit is about as complicated as saddles.

So at this point I am thinking either the Giro Rift, Phase or Hex. Each is a step-up in price with the Hex being about max. There are other shops in the area but I refuse to go to our local Specialized/Trek shop due to them pissing me off more than once. Other shop in town is more focused on BMX racing and have a lot of other shops 30 minutes away.

Is there something better than the Giro's that I should be looking at? This will most likely be my commuting/riding/racing helmet so easily washable would be a definite added plus!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Uvex helmets are very good. The XP 100 or CC (same model in different parts of the world I think) is the one I finally chose. Fits beautifully and is very well reviewed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    For that price and helmet style the 661 Recon is worth a look. You can usually find the on sale to about $90 or so.

Helmetless Crasher
    cannondale Ryker for $80 is tough to beat. I love mine.

Cannondale Ryker helmet | Review | BikeRadar
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jenson has Lima helmets for around $70.00. They fit my head pretty good.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

What day are we riding?
    What is your head shape? Giro tends to make helmets that fit rounder heads better, Bell helmets fit non-round heads better. Try on a few and cinch them down tight to see if they are going to dig into your forehead.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I know Luckychic.com is having a blowout sale on Belle helmets this week - Really cute stuff!

Save Jesus
    Although I don't have a specific recommendation, you should base your choice on how well it fits and how well it vents. Look at the size of the vents from the INSIDE of the helmet, not the outside. IMHO, I would be willing to pay extra for a very well vented helmet because you will thank yourself on hot days.

mtbr member
    What are you getting for all that extra money spent? I've only spent about $20 on my Bell bicycle helmets from Walmart. It vents way better than the older Trek helmet I had from the 90's and I love the new ratcheting quick adjuster for sizing. considering they are all basically molded polystyrene with a thin plastic shell, I don't know why they charge over $100 for some of these. Full face helmets obviously would be expected to cost more.

Short-Change-Hero
    See I have a $20 walmart/target helmet that has only lasted me a year. No major crashes on it or anything but it is just starting to come apart and the small dents it has are starting to crumble. I use it for both commuting and mtb riding so I want something reasonably light with good venting and preferably netting for bugs.

mtbr member
    I have the Uvex XP 100 that jsamuelson mentioned above. I like it a lot... really light weight, breathes well (needs a liner in cooler weather to keep my noggin from freezing), and very adjustable. It even has netting in the front vents. The knob on the back and the chin strap are pretty easy to adjust one-handed while riding. My only real complaint is that the visor is a bit long, so I have to tilt my head a bit more to see around some fast corners. I like having a visor, so I'm thinking I might trim a little off the front edge of this one.

As for fit, Giro helmets are usually very comfortable to me, and Bell are not. (This might give you a gauge for comparison.) I think the Giro Phase might be just a little more comfortable on my head than this Uvex, but I've never thought the Uvex was uncomfortable.

I think I paid about $50 for mine about 6 months ago.

No Stranger to danger....
    mate , if your looking for a lid that has abit of protection around the back of the head, try the Fox flux, its a nice one, you can nail em for $90, cheers n good luck, its always hard finding one that suits you, the 661 recon is a nice one aswell.......

mtbr member
    What this guy said. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    mate , if your looking for a lid that has abit of protection around the back of the head, try the Fox flux, its a nice one, you can nail em for $90, cheers n good luck, its always hard finding one that suits you, the 661 recon is a nice one aswell.......

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Another ditto here for Fox Flux---I absolutely love how comfortable mine is, not to mention the protection.

But as others have also mentioned, you really need to try on a helmet before buying it because they as well as the human head come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Try on all the brands - they all fit a little different. Find the one you like the best (most come with more pads with stickers to fine tune the fit). It should fit similar to a motorcycle helmet - with it on your head unstrapped you should be able to feel your scalp move a little when you rock it back and forth and side to side.

*B*
    mtbr member
    I just got a 661 dirt lid and a 661 full face comp shifted for $105.00 shipped at HucknRoll.com. When you decide what you want may be a good place for you to look....

Members who have read this thread: 0