Helmet recommendations???- Mtbr.com

Jan 2007

Helmet recommendations???

Not sure if anyone or everyone or just me is aware, but it seems as though certain helmet makers shape their helmets around certain skull types. For instance, Giro's tend to fit a "round" head while Specialized tend to fit an "oval" head. Well, at least, as of my last round of trying on helmets, which was about 4-5 years ago... a lot can and probably has changed!

I'm in the market for a new helmet, and I really like the look of the Bell Sweep XC. Do they fit anything like a Specialized helmet? If not, which other makes/models could you recommend for my oval-shaped head?

Thanks in advance?

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thelandon
    Not sure if anyone or everyone or just me is aware, but it seems as though certain helmet makers shape their helmets around certain skull types. For instance, Giro's tend to fit a "round" head while Specialized tend to fit an "oval" head. Well, at least, as of my last round of trying on helmets, which was about 4-5 years ago... a lot can and probably has changed!

I'm in the market for a new helmet, and I really like the look of the Bell Sweep XC. Do they fit anything like a Specialized helmet? If not, which other makes/models could you recommend for my oval-shaped head?

Thanks in advance?
    check out Catlike. Very Euro in look, but my friend who has an oval/egg shaped head swears by their fit.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    I use a Giro XEN (but thats because I have a round head)

You might like how the new FOX FLUX fits. I tried one on; and it was too oval for my head. I really wish they made it a bit rounder. Not to mention it looks super hawt!

Mar 2007
    Yeah, I have a round head myself, the Giros and Bells are the only ones that seem to fit perfectly for me.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i still like the specialized fit. i try on other sometimes but yeah, not quite right.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    That's weird, I have your run of the mill egg head (oval shaped) and the giro xen seems to fit me perfect. One of my buddy's also has an oval shaped head and he likes the Louis Garneua (or whatever) helmets.

local trails rider
    Can you try before you buy?
    I use a Bell Delirium now and it fits well. I tried a couple of Giros some months ago and one model was a bit tight at the sides and the other was a bit too wide...

Members who have read this thread: 0