helmet recommendations- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    242

    helmet recommendations

    looking to get a helmet for the first time. too many close calls. anyways, i dont want those gay aerodynamic/colorful/new school helmets. i am looking for the "skateboard" dome type. i know they still make em, cause i always see people with them. any recommendations as to brand or sotre or what not? thanks guys.

  2. #2
    nab
    nab is offline

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    looking to get a helmet for the first time. too many close calls. anyways, i dont want those gay aerodynamic/colorful/new school helmets. i am looking for the "skateboard" dome type. i know they still make em, cause i always see people with them. any recommendations as to brand or sotre or what not? thanks guys.

    Giro pneumo - saved my life. Crashed landed right on my head but i survived. phew!

  3. #3
    t66
    t66 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: t66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    619

    Giro Semi

    Look for a Giro Semi. I picked up one from REI they had them on clearance a while back. I saw some at a couple of other mail order companies also at far below retail prices. The Giro MX has a visor. Either way it's a skater looking helmet with "some" ventilation. Really nice in-mold design.

  4. #4
    beer *****es n' bikes
    Reputation: seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    looking to get a helmet for the first time. too many close calls. anyways, i dont want those gay aerodynamic/colorful/new school helmets.
    Nice attitude, makes me sorry I responded to any of your other posts. I must be gay because I wear a helmet that allows my head to breathe instead of cooking it like an oven when I ride in 100+ degree temperatures.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,882

    I am with you,seely.

    Quote Originally Posted by seely
    Nice attitude, makes me sorry I responded to any of your other posts. I must be gay because I wear a helmet that allows my head to breathe instead of cooking it like an oven when I ride in 100+ degree temperatures.
    I must be gay, because I want a helmet that is so light I can not tell it is on my head, and vents so well there is no sweat running into my eyes. My new E2 is the coolest (pun intended) lid I have ever worn.

  6. #6
    t66
    t66 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: t66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    619

    Ease Up On Josh...

    alot of kids don't like the roady looking Helmets or the roady looking helmets with visors. He probably still as a few months before it hits 100 F in Chi town.

    I bought the Semi for the wet cold winter months and the skate type of bucket offer a little more protection without going to a full face.

    Josh - did you mean: shiny, happy colors GAY or GAY as in QUEER (not there's anything wrong with that) umm...hmmmm....

  7. #7
    Unfit Norwegian
    Reputation: Dazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,260
    Quote Originally Posted by t66
    I bought the Semi for the wet cold winter months and the skate type of bucket offer a little more protection without going to a full face.
    Are you certain about that? I'm not at all convinced that a "70's throwback" skateboard helmet offers more protection than a modern, lightweight Giro, Lazer, Bell or whatever.

    Any documentation on any of this?

    Stein

  8. #8
    beer *****es n' bikes
    Reputation: seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    Are you certain about that? I'm not at all convinced that a "70's throwback" skateboard helmet offers more protection than a modern, lightweight Giro, Lazer, Bell or whatever.

    Any documentation on any of this?

    Stein
    I think what he means is the Giro is a semi full coverage helmet--it goes halfway down the back of your head and wraps around your ears a bit offering more coverage/protection.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    42
    I can't tell you how many times I have hurt my ears in crashes. j/k. Seriously, I am buying my kids some of the skater type helmets. They are 8 and just got onto a small frame on dual 24". I noticed until they learn to handle the bike better they are having a few backwards and sideways falls. I think the skate type helmet will benefit them more for the next while (keeping back of head safer). I think for more skilled riders falling off backwards is less likely; unless you fall off manualling or maybe an overly steep kicker and you lose your balance.

    just my .000002 cents

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    34

    Skate Helmets are much safer

    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    Are you certain about that? I'm not at all convinced that a "70's throwback" skateboard helmet offers more protection than a modern, lightweight Giro, Lazer, Bell or whatever.

    Any documentation on any of this?

    Stein

    Dazed,

    Go to your local skateshop and pick up a Protec helmet. If you look at the density and size of the foam verus a typical aerodynamic helmet, there's no question about safety.

    Plus, why spend $130 dollars on an expensive Giro, that once you crash the helmet is worthless. Think about it, any crack or dent in the helmet, and it's no longer safe for use. The protec helmets are not one-crash helmets.

    You can pick up a Protec helmet for $30. I personally can't find any bike helmets that even fit my held comfortably. My protec fits like a glove. I wear a 7 3/4 size baseball hat, and no bike helmet manufacturer makes a helmet in this size.

    And to answer the other posts................Who would sacrifice saftey for a little less ventilation and looks. I really think that people buy expensive helmets because it feeds their need for that elitist look.

  11. #11

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    242
    i guess i used the wrong term to describe the helmets. i wasnt really making fun of anyone that wears the new school helmets, just not my style. my bad.

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,850
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    i guess i used the wrong term to describe the helmets. i wasnt really making fun of anyone that wears the new school helmets, just not my style. my bad.
    You can do one of two things. Stop worrying about looking "cool" or your "style" and buy the right helmet the first time, or buy the skate type helmet now and end up buying another helmet like the ones you don't like once the weather warms up for you. Seriously, skate type helmets do offer better protection but there's a reason they are not normally worn except for extremely short type races. Your head will BAKE in it. Once your body starts generating heat during extreme activity combined with warm weather you will probably pass out with one of those lids. Don't pay too much attention to having a particular look. Just get what works. You'll be glad you did in the long run.
    And if you ask me, I think skate type helmets are the fugliest thing around

  13. #13
    keep the shiny side up!
    Reputation: Phat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by browncow3636
    Dazed,

    Go to your local skateshop and pick up a Protec helmet. If you look at the density and size of the foam verus a typical aerodynamic helmet, there's no question about safety.

    Plus, why spend $130 dollars on an expensive Giro, that once you crash the helmet is worthless. Think about it, any crack or dent in the helmet, and it's no longer safe for use. The protec helmets are not one-crash helmets.

    You can pick up a Protec helmet for $30. I personally can't find any bike helmets that even fit my held comfortably. My protec fits like a glove. I wear a 7 3/4 size baseball hat, and no bike helmet manufacturer makes a helmet in this size.

    And to answer the other posts................Who would sacrifice saftey for a little less ventilation and looks. I really think that people buy expensive helmets because it feeds their need for that elitist look.
    other than your "feeling" what proof is there that they are safer? just because the foam padding may be thicker doesn't mean it is better.

  14. #14
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,887

    Use your head. . . . .

    Skateboarding helmets are basically made for skateboarding. If they are made from EPP type foam they are made to survive multiple impacts of the type that a skateboarder would typically encounter which are described as: MULTIPLE IMPACTS OF LESSER SEVERITY. These do not meet the same standards as typical biking helmets and multiple impacts = 3x. And they do not necessarily offer better protection just because they look like they do.


    The Pro-Tec Old School helmet is a BMX helmet made from EPS foam (AS ARE ALL OF PRO_TEC’s BMX HELMETS) . That is the same type foam as most other biking helmets and is made to survive “one crash” as it does not recover like the EPP foam can. To state that all Pro-Tec helmets are not one-crash helmets is just plain false.

    If you want to ride with a skate helmet that is up to you, but I would advise people to do a little more reading before making statements of fact that are incorrect. I’d rather defer to others that have spent much more time and effort than any of us could devote to such matters and take my chances with that information. Wear what you want, but be informed and please don’t spread misinformation as it could be harmful to others.

    http://www.helmets.org/guide.htm

    http://www.helmets.org/astmdocs/astmcomp.htm

    If anyone has evidence to the contrary besides “I feel” or “I think”, I’d like to see it.

    Josh: I think the Chris Doyle or other “signature” type models from Pro-Tec provide the look of the BMX type helmet and still have more adequate ventilation than other BMX helmets like the Old School.

  15. #15
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,429

    Giro E2

    My favorite is still the Giro E2. Fits my head well, super stable, good venting, comes with a detachable visor. The new models have matching color visors... A great helmet

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  16. #16
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    My favorite is still the Giro E2. Fits my head well, super stable, good venting, comes with a detachable visor. The new models have matching color visors... A great helmet
    Come on, the guy is looking for his first helmet. I don't think he's gonna be ready to drop $150 on a featherweight helmet with 27 vents that just looks fast. OMG I want an E2.

  17. #17

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Come on, the guy is looking for his first helmet. I don't think he's gonna be ready to drop $150 on a featherweight helmet with 27 vents that just looks fast. OMG I want an E2.
    I just ordered a Bell Scuffle. $24 dollars at Jenson USA and I think it looks really neat.

    It's certified for bike use.

  18. #18
    Unfit Norwegian
    Reputation: Dazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Come on, the guy is looking for his first helmet. I don't think he's gonna be ready to drop $150 on a featherweight helmet with 27 vents that just looks fast. OMG I want an E2.
    First: "What Jeffj said!"

    As an affordable, lightweight, modern helmet with plenty of ventilation, I'd Recommend a Lazer Fugitive or the even cheaper Lazer Fireball.

    Stein

  19. #19

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    17
    i agree the protec sig helmets seem to have pretty good vents.

    ProTec Ace Freestyle Signature SXP BMX and Bike Helmet

    http://www.hardheadedsports.com/pracefrsihef.html

    and yeah i think some of us have touched on it but some are missing one point - these protec's can be had for like 25 bucks versus the 100+ (and 150+!) some of these come in at. and hey if you prefer the skate style then you should get the skate style - we know looks are not the biggest factor in buying gear (or even the second or third) but they are A factor.

    and are they really that hot? even the newer styles like above? i mean i know some skateboarders who rock on in 100 degree heat for hours

Similar Threads

  1. Need some trail recommendations for upcoming visit
    By Bikinfoolferlife in forum Arizona
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 07:20 PM
  2. Anyone try a Shain helmet?
    By Mike T. in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 05:26 AM
  3. Recommendations on an HID
    By dgangi in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 06:16 AM
  4. Helmet cam ???s
    By Buck in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 10:25 PM
  5. Looking into a Helmet Camera, but am uneducated.
    By Burpethead in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 07:48 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.